Message Boards > Foaling Questions & Help

Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question

(1/44) > >>

Suebe:
Very excited she's 265 days today! :) she's on 10 cc of regumate a day only as a precaution. She lost a baby last year at 117 days due to what appeared to be an umbilical cord defect. She was flushed, then had 4 days of uterine infused antibiotics, put on hormones and rebred. She's had one beautiful healthy foal about 5 years ago before we purchased her. She's only had two owners so we know her entire history. She is our first full size horse baby born on our property, have had minis :) do you think she's bagging too soon? I text my vet not with photos just telling her she's started and she's not concerned, what do you all think?

dcwolcott:
It seems a little early, but yet some can take up to 6 weeks to fill, which certainly would put it in the ball park as far as timing.  She's still nicely lopsided and baby hasn't dropped -- both are good news.  So, we'll just be waiting and watching with you, and hope she takes her time bringing this little one to ground.   ;pray ;pray

Holly:
Are you positive on her breed dates? Any way she could be further along?
If not I would watch her closely as premature udder development can indicate placentitis. In order to detect placentitis an ultrasound can be done to check for inflammation in the placenta and if nessasary antibiotics, anti inflammatory meds too.
There are other causes for early udder development, but could also be completely normal. I would watch her close and if she continues to develop contact vet again.
Other than that she looks amazingly beautiful!!

Suebe:
Thank you and yes I'm positive of the dates. We hand bred her Feb 11-15 and I'm of course counting from the last breeding date. Wouldn't pllacentitis be highly unlikely as she was flushed prior to breeding and had 4 days of an antibiotic syringes straight into her uterus. Sparkly clean start :)

Suebe:
Thank you Diane for the words of wisdom! Aporeciate! What do you think? Wouldn't placentitis be unlikely under the circumstances???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version