Author Topic: Winter hair, natural predictors and winter weather  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
Winter hair, natural predictors and winter weather
« on: November 04, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »
In another thread, Paula asked what I'm seeing as predictors for winter weather. This year......I'm learning.

As she mentioned in her thread, I don't see the squirrels hiding winter dinner either. I DO see them eating up what's left of my pecans. I DON'T see them doing much storing away. They're pretty lean, and not carrying too much hair. The ants were not obviously laying in winter stores like I've seen them do in other years in Raeford. They haven't burrowed down deeply--they're still fairly close to the surface. I haven't seen them attacking large protein sources (very large insects, small reptiles.)

The trees are dropping their upper canopy leaves, however, most of the branches seem to still have quite a bit of sap. My tomatoes are still blooming and producing fruit. The rest of the overgrowth is still overgrowth.

Spanky just started putting on hair about a month ago. It's short, fine....but might be a plush undercoat. His long guard hairs on his underjaw are there, but he hasn't grown any feathering. Mane and tail on the other hand are growing faster than I can trim them.

Farmers' Almanac for this area says cool, wet.....and lasting into mid-Spring. YUCK As best I can guess, lots of rain. Probably average to slightly cooler, but wet, wet. I'm thinking the longer guard hairs are to help the wet drip off. Penny is the only one of my dogs that has hair, and hers is not significantly different than her summer hair has been. She isn't even growing a longer plume on her tail or longer hair on her ears. The texture just seems different....slicker and coarser.

So I'm thinking it's gonna be a dreary  :-[, wet  :'( long  :( :( winter. It will feel cooler because of the humidity. It'll be overcast quite a bit.

Then again.....I could be all wet!!! ROFL  >:D

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Re: Winter hair, natural predictors and winter weather
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
Our ponies arent to fluffy yet either. I wouldnt mind a cold year, but not a wet one. I would love to see a snowfall though, that would be amazing!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:18:55 PM »
I smell winter. I can literally smell the day it turns from summer to autumn - no lie!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:52:49 PM »
My Minis started to drop their winter coats 6 weeks ago when the weather started to warm. Since then, the weather took a turn for the worse and its been more like winter than spring. In fact I can actually say that we have only had one Spring day, the rest has been absolutely average, so hence everyone's coats started to grow again.

Hayley , have you smelt that day yet ? :) I just need to know the better weather is headed "my way " :) 

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:57:42 PM »
My Minis started to drop their winter coats 6 weeks ago when the weather started to warm. Since then, the weather took a turn for the worse and its been more like winter than spring. In fact I can actually say that we have only had one Spring day, the rest has been absolutely average, so hence everyone's coats started to grow again.

Hayley , have you smelt that day yet ? :) I just need to know the better weather is headed "my way " :) 

Sorry Ryan, i smelled it here in ireland on about the 25th august. Can't smell oz! lol

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 09:28:27 PM »
25th August , well im tipping that it got lost along the way as when it changes towards winter there, Its supposed to start warming up here :)

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
25th August , well im tipping that it got lost along the way as when it changes towards winter there, Its supposed to start warming up here :)

Well Ryan, I'm like Rocklone. I too smell that transition from summer toward winter. I thought I was crazy!  Anyway, I hope you might be seeing warmer weather starting this weekend, as we're supposed to have freezes at night and highs in the mid 50's. BRRRRRRR!!

One thing I have noticed, and I'm not sure if it's the property or the weird weather. No bot flies. None, nada not even 1 tiny egg. (Though I'm glad not to have them!) How many others in the U.S. have noticed different pests this year? After the hurricane, we noticed GREAT BIG HARD BITING mosquitoes in this area. But not much else.

Wonder if out bot flies got blown further north?

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
We had our first truly hard frost last night, it was 22 when I got up this morning, and stayed pretty cold all day; so probably time for that deworming after first hard frost to get rid of bots.  I know some of the horses had bot fly eggs on their legs, so I'm sure they are due; although, I didn't see as many this year as some years.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »
Well funny you say that Julie as we just had one day at 33 degrees (91F) and now today its back to 20. Tomorrow we are warming up again and by Monday its going to be 36 degrees.

I cant smell the transition though I do go by the sunset at home. When it sets directly in the middle of our property , I know the weather is changing :)

We too have had a shocker with mozzies, some so big , you could put a saddle on and take them for a trail ride :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 05:54:26 AM »
HA !
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 06:46:48 AM »
This is so interesting. We're supposed to get our first cold front today. High 30's at night and mid 60during day. So a cold weekend then back to 70 next week! 😂
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 09:12:01 PM »
Yes, our weather is turning colder here in Florida, too.

Today:  High 80, Low 55
Sat:  High 80, Low 51
Sun:  High 70, Low 42
Mon: High 74, Low 46

I so LOVE this weather!!  The heat and humidity are the two things I hate about being in Florida, so I relish this colder weather -- although everyone I know here hates it, and bundles up like it's below zero!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »
Yes, our weather is turning colder here in Florida, too.

Today:  High 80, Low 55
Sat:  High 80, Low 51
Sun:  High 70, Low 42
Mon: High 74, Low 46

I so LOVE this weather!!  The heat and humidity are the two things I hate about being in Florida, so I relish this colder weather -- although everyone I know here hates it, and bundles up like it's below zero!

I'm seeing that with our niece being here Diane. She's a refugee arrival from El Salvador. We've had a couple of just barely frost days this week, then temps similar to yours. She's been sleeping in pajamas with a hoodie, mittens and socks on. (We're still on a temporary power pole which equals commercial rates--three times the residential rate!) I like to sleep cool so the heat gets dropped to 68 at night. Only allowing heat during the day if it's below 65 outside. She can't even IMAGINE what it's going to be like when the cold front comes through this weekend. She's never felt LOWS at 45-50, let alone the highs of that and in the 20's overnight. Good thing I gave her extra blankets! I think she'll take them now. :-)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »
Julie - think your bot flies joined the ones up here.  And for the first time that I've ever noticed - they were active here in July (usually wait until mid-Aug).
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 10:18:31 AM »
I also keep my home at 68 at night, well, anytime I'm home.  I have a horrendous electric bill, but it wasn't my idea to stay in Florida.  But, my children that live here won't move, and since there are grandchildren involved.....here I stay!

They sometimes hate me at work because I really like it cold in the office, but I've agreed to settle for 74 in the office during the day.  My only pleasure is that I go in about 2 hours before the first other person arrives, and you can guess what I've turned the temperature down to while I'm there alone!

I FEEL for her, as I know my kids have made the adjustment to the Florida temperatures, and if they come to my house they complain it feels like the inside of a refrigerator!  But, that's the way I like it!