Author Topic: Winter hair, natural predictors and winter weather  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Winter hair, natural predictors and winter weather
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
The weather here the last week has been CRAZY.   Monday here the temp got to 38 degrees, which is temps normally associated with late Feb into March. It was ridiculously hot and a shock to the horses as its been freezing.

We had a massive storm come through that night ( no damage) though the temps dropped 24 degrees in an hour and yesterday and today its been winter weather again at 14 degrees Celsius.

Heater and fire cranking one day, Aircon full blast the next day, and then back to heater the following :)

I rug my two Biggies so its been a case of rugs on / rugs off/ rugs on / rugs off / Rugs on.

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 10:35:01 AM »

I rug my two Biggies so its been a case of rugs on / rugs off/ rugs on / rugs off / Rugs on.

Did you ever see 'Karate Kid?" This is, apparently, the equestrians version of "wax on, wax off." LOL  ;D ;D ;D

So far, it's been pretty darn dry here since Hurricane Matthew, which means I'm a pretty poor prognosticator. Fairly mild and pleasant...BUT...northern states got quite a bit (54 inches!) of snow this week.

Basically, the world is going crazy and we've taken Mother Nature with us. Poor Mother Nature.  :'( :'(

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »
LOL Julie :)

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »
So far, I've been completely off target for the prediction in our area. It's been overcast ALOT. A moderate percentage of humid days. Very great fluctuations in temperature...a few days with highs in 40's and lows in upper 20's, then days like today. Overnight low 40's-high 30's then into upper 60's. Even though it's humid, it's been pretty darn dry too.

The bugs just hide under leaves for a couple of days, then come out when it warms up. Last night I heard peeper frogs!! And had an ant swarm in the doorway when we returned from the laundry...UUUGGGHH!!

Had a hen setting on 21!! eggs under the woodpile. I tried to relocate her when I put the others back into the chicken tractor, but she abandoned the nest after two days. :-( I feel a bit guilty, as I think she was serious and seemed quite comfortable where she was. However, I knew either Lucky, possums or coons would get her. I was willing to sacrifice the eggs to hang on to my Heritage breed-Campine-hen.

I know the upper part of the country is freezing it's buns off and seems to be getting quite a bit of snow. How is it for everyone?? Anna and our other European friends, how's it over there? Ryan and Carly Rae, how's summer there down under? I certainly hope it's not full of fires and dry like last year was! Will you be having a decent hay crop this year?

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »
I did not realize that there was that much of a temp difference between our two places Julie!  We hit 75* today (before the temp dropped!!!) and it's currently 37* here at 8:41 pm.  It's dropped 2* in the last 40 minutes.  Just had to go get the bucket of eggs out of the truck - forgot to bring them in.  And I swear frost was forming on it...  (probably condensation/wet - but looked like frost!).

We haven't had too many issues with ants here.  BUT have had a single pesky fly IN THE HOUSE, that none of us seems to be able to "nail down"...  My UUGH.

Aww, so sorry didn't get them set...  Certainly understand though.  Think our dogs got Blue Roo the other day (found feathers, no bird and he hasn't shown back up) when they got out and went for a run for a couple of hours.  He'd been free ranging around the house and had been roosting in the firmosa tree - but we removed it on Dec 16th and he hadn't found a good roost yet.  Makes me sad.  Well we have his 4 chicks and little "Blackie" the mixed bantam hen.  Those chicks are now good sized.  2 look like their feathering in solid black, one has the golden neck lined feathers like Blackie and the last is BLUE!

Looking forward to hearing about everyone else.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »
Well weather here has been CRAZY already in 2017!!

Last Saturday/Sunday we had lows that our little weather station registered as 10* and 8*, with little warming during the day.  We had mostly rain that then turned to freezing rain, then sleet and very little snow. 

My truck doors were frozen shut and even after defrosting it, my windshield wipers both were damaged by the ice... and the seal on the lower half of the windshield was broken and hanging off of the truck by the passenger door.  UGH!!  Pulling hair out now!

I tried the coarse salt in the bottle trick...  it didn't seem to work in the 3 (out of 4 100 gallon tanks) - possibly due to the exposure to open, strong blowing winds.  One tank stayed open enough to let the ponies drink - right by the bottles.  One tank DID stay lighter in ice - allowing them to break it themselves (shows in the cracks in the ice?)...

AND even though insulated, the stand pipe in the pasture has once again frozen solid (even w/ hoses disconnected and drained).  So, no water in the pasture and I was VERY THANKFUL that it warmed back up.  I only had to transfer water to one tub (the babies in the round pen) before there was water available on Tuesday.  The others were drinking but in very reduced amounts...

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »
and then yesterday (in less than a week) - when the heat went to 86* while I was still out in the pasture with the farrier.

The ponies that were sweated, didn't show up in the pics I took w/ my phone...  I froze last Sat, Sun & MONDAY doing chores and was dripping sweat off of nose & fingertips on FRIDAY!!!

What a week.  Hope that the rest of the country isn't swinging this badly in temps (some are, tho) and I really hope it does settle. 

With that said - the high today is supposed to only be 44* but we are sitting at 48* right now...  I'm so confused!  And my body NOT happy!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 06:07:46 PM »
Exactly like that in Florida, too.  Lows of 30-35 at night, and high of 50-60, then by Friday in the 80's again.  I think it affected the whole east coast!  But, after seeing the news today, I'm glad I'm not in the Midwest where that ice storm is hitting and staying for the next several days!

Taff looks great, by the way!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »
Updating this weather thread.

It HAS NOT been very wet. As a matter of fact, we're facing drought again. It has been humid at my place, but the wet stays in the air. Settles on surfaces, but doesn't go into the sky, make clouds and fall back down. We've had A LOT of frost this year. The peeper frogs have been awake several times. I holler at them to go back to sleep, because I know that the 2 warm days that woke them will be followed by a week of 25-30 degree nights. After the couple of previously mentioned ant swarms, I've seen no more. No ant hills, and not any explorers unless I count 1 I found in the bathroom today. When we got home this afternoon, I did find the front of the truck COVERED in flies. They looked like those nasty, hard-biting deer flies....*shudder*.

Spanky didn't start shedding at all until last week. I kept checking, even pulling by finger stripping didn't remove more than a couple of hairs at a time. Now he's dropping hair by the handfuls. He did eventually get feathers, but not until late December and into early January. Early to mid January is when he normally begins to shed! He does seem to be making up for lost ground though.

The wild plants have been making half-hearted efforts to sprout. They'll grow a bit, then frostbite nips them back. About a third of the daffodils that are growing bloomed before the snow. They're still growing, but don't seem to be making any more flower heads. The pines have sent out their piney flowers and pollen. The wild plums have blossomed. And just today, some of the mature trees are beginning to send out their spring shoots. My pecan and Uncle Tree black walnut haven't started to send out shoots. I'll watch, and note, how the weather and their sprouting coordinate.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
My little group of Minis didnt fully lose their winter coat from last year. Whilst we had a hot days the nights were somewhat cold. Around xmas we had a cold spell and when I got back from vacation their coats had started to grow again.

Looking at the forecast over the next week looks to be cooling down and plenty of rain on the way :)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 07:40:39 AM »
and a chilly, below freezing day again this morning!

With windchill.

Here in NC.

In MARCH - when we are supposed to be able to plant things directly in the soil...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC