Author Topic: weaning???  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: weaning???
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 10:33:56 PM »
Glad to hear she is starting to warm to the new feed :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 11:03:49 PM »
Glad to hear she is starting to warm to the new feed :)
Me, too.  I'll keep top dressing at least until I'm done switching over, and then try her without the top dress, and cross my fingers by then she likes it plain.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2016, 04:35:38 PM »
Been letting meadow and charm spend some time apart lately. Neither seem to care much! First time i did it, i let charm into the stall first then shut the door and she did call out once - no reply from meadow - and she immediately didn't care lol

Banners going home on the 7th Dec then im on vacation mid december so i plan to do the dastardly deed after i get home so i can be here to ensure meadow settles well enough. I plan to put charm in my split stable with Goldie, so both get correct feed etc. Thriller and meadow can be in the large stable together until it starts to warm up a little then she will be out with goldie (i would worry about him being too manly with her in spring...ive seen him "cover" charm before!)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 10:38:24 PM »
Bliss still isn't very fond of the new growth feed I bought, I've been mixing in the senior they were getting in their mix before trying to put them on straight growth (new feed); but she eats the senior and leaves part of the growth.   I think after the two bags of growth are gone, I'll put them both back on just the senior, and maybe top dress it with some calf manna for the extra protein/nutrients it provides (or I'll get the other ration balancer I can get locally and use it to top dress).  Everyone else is eating the new feed, all varieties are extruded and basically smell like bubble gum; so it is a Bliss issue not a feed issue.  [Even picky Che` is chowing down on his new senior.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 11:17:42 PM »
has she warmed to the feed yet ?

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 10:26:04 PM »
has she warmed to the feed yet ?

Nope,  she leaves pretty much all the new feed, so I just put her on the senior that was in the mare's mix, and top dress a bit with the growth (which she still doesn't eat much of).  Once the growth is gone, both weanlings will just go back on the senior and if I need to I'll top dress with Calf Manna or other ration balancer.

whew we were one for day and a half, we shipped calves Sunday and the sale was today, so drove down last night to watch them sell today.  Some of the nicest calves we've had in several years, and the price sucks right now; down quite a bit from two years ago.  [Prices aren't coming back up fast enough to make it pay to keep calves any longer than we have to.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 04:51:43 PM »
Now she's being picky about the senior that she previously ate just fine, but stole a bite or two of Misty's food (the extruded brand that she wouldn't eat in the growth formula).  Today, I added some alfalfa pellets just see if they'd peak her interest, not really.  She's eating hay like a trooper, plays with Spotty and runs around, so I really don't think it's ulcers, but could be.  I'm ordering a small bag of Calf Manna to see if that'll entice her, seems most horses really like it, so good option to try.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that prices are down Chanda , that must suck seeing you and Shayne have been so happy with the quality of the calves. I hope prices pick up quickly for you :)

I wonder if theres anything you could mix into her feed to entice her into liking it ?

Anyone have really picky eaters ?

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
I wonder if theres anything you could mix into her feed to entice her into liking it ?
Anyone have really picky eaters ?
That's why I ordered the calf manna, it's a ration balancer; you might call it the original ration balancer, it's been around for decades.  It's flavored with Anise (licorice flavor), and most animals readily accept it. 
https://www.mannapro.com/products/calf-manna
https://www.mannapro.com/products/equine/horses
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 01:05:57 PM »
Tried something new while I wait for the Calf Manna.
I have some Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes, they are a low carb timothy and beet pulp blend cube with about 8% protein (might be 10%), they are designed for metabolic horses.   Anyway, last night I crumbled some up, so I wouldn't have to soak cubes for just one.   This morning, I gave her about 1 cup of senior feed, 1/4c rice bran pellets and about 2 cups of the crushed cubes (it was 3 cups total); she ate the majority of the mix (I didn't measure but less than 1 cup unfinished).  So, hopefully, I have something she'll eat while we wait on the Calf Manna to give it a try; then, I'll need to figure out how much Calf Manna to mix in to make sure she gets what she needs.   hopefully, she'll become less picky with age, and will eventually like the Trail Mix (extruded feed) all the mares on.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »
The Calf Manna is not a hit with Bliss, she left most of her morning feed, so I'll stick with just the senior feed she was eating and see if the feed store has the tiny alfalfa pellets they carry in stock, and add those to boost the protein of her feed.   What a stinker.   Everyone else loves the Calf Manna, so they'll all get a little bit daily to use it up and not waste it.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »
Poor Bliss, gave in to peer pressure! LOL Sounds like everyone else told her "Oh Bliss, don't eat that licorice smelling stuff. It's medicine. It's NAAASTY! You won't like it. Please, don't eat it!!" Knowing full well what would happen if she didn't. Silly horses. (Sillier Julie!!)

How's everyone in you part of the world surviving this brutal winter? Are the Tana and Bonny doing okay? I know they weren't where you wanted them to be going into this time of year. If I'm understanding the news correctly, it's been quite harsh in the west and upper western part of the country this year. Not dry and mild like here at all.

I've also been praying that your cattle operation isn't taking it on the chin. When does calving season start for you?
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2016, 02:53:16 PM »
Bonny and Tana are slowly gaining weight and getting to be where they should be; Bonny is getting there faster than Tana.
Bliss is happy to eat the senior feed, so that's all she gets, and Spotty will move onto that when the growth is gone (it'll keep my feed room a little simpler if I don't have growth for just one).
We've been just on the edge of the storms that have hit North Dakota so hard, so our temps have been a bit milder and we don't have near the snow they do.
Calf prices were down this year, which sucks.   We start calving in March, usually, but always seem to have a couple earlier.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
I can't wait to see the calves this year!!  No  C:-)  to keep from showing all the wonderful pictures of those cuties!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »
I can't wait to see the calves this year!!  No  C:-)  to keep from showing all the wonderful pictures of those cuties!

I'll just need to remember to bring out the camera to get the pictures.
Chanda
HC Minis