Author Topic: weaning???  (Read 4683 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: weaning???
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 03:24:50 PM »
Morning feed was easy enough, although Spotty was a little upset once in Tana's stall for feed by himself.  Both babies ate all their breakfast, need to figure out just how much to give them.  I'll continue with the mare's mix for the moment, but will be getting a foal feed soon (special order, so it'll be a couple weeks); then I can just give them a simple scoop, rather than mixing.
Spotty seems more upset about weaning than Bliss, which surprises me a bit.   Will eventually move Spotty over to the gelding pen, but need to figure out the logistics of feeding all the boys over there.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 08:25:47 PM »
I don't think they were hot, warm to the touch but it's cold out; the mares' udders were firm and full tonight, if it keeps up, I'll warm compress, but will give it a day or two first before I worry.  The mares seem pretty oblivious to their foals being removed from their sides, they are solely interested in eating; both are thin, so I have not reduced their feed.

Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 08:57:29 PM »
Sounds like things are working to plan for you. I hope Tana picks up some weight before winter sets in :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 10:40:35 PM »
Sounds like things are working to plan for you. I hope Tana picks up some weight before winter sets in :)
I hope so, too.   Good food without lactating should hopefully take care of it.

Spotty had a bit of a hissy fit this morning at breakfast, trying to escape his stall; no damage done and he ate all his breakfast.   
Inch or more of rain yesterday, so corrals are muddy mess.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 09:02:07 PM »
Muddy corrals....kinda puts you in a (started to say "spot" LOL ) bad place doesn't it? Leave them in and rake stalls. Turn them out and rake muddy legs. Glad to hear he didn't get hurt though. Bliss used up all the foals of 2016 ER budget already.

I hope that when (if?) Spotty sells his new family will join us here so that we can continue to enjoy him.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 11:48:24 PM »
Muddy corrals....kinda puts you in a (started to say "spot" LOL ) bad place doesn't it? Leave them in and rake stalls. Turn them out and rake muddy legs. Glad to hear he didn't get hurt though. Bliss used up all the foals of 2016 ER budget already.

I hope that when (if?) Spotty sells his new family will join us here so that we can continue to enjoy him.

Luckily, the corrals dried fairly quick, so not too bad now, just muddy spots, rather than all over.   
Kids are doing good with weaning.  Bonny is getting back her normal figure.  Tana is still thin but I think gaining.   Both still have firm bags, but seem to be slowly decreasing in size.
Yes, Bliss did use up the 2016 budget for accidents.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »
I was always a "creep feeder" of my foals.  I took a corner, set up fence posts only separated enough so a foal could walk through -- not the adults -- and left food out for the foals that they could nibble on to their hearts content.  I did that until they were a year old.  They seemed to do well, keeping good weight and learning not to "wolf" down their food, so kept digestion problems to a minimum.  Since their tummies are smaller than the adults, it let them take in what they wanted comfortably, and go back when hunger called.  Just an idea.

Glad Bonny is getting her normal figure back, and Tana is gaining!!  I wouldn't worry about their udders.  The discomfort will go quickly and udders will shrink.  I just always did a quick "feel" to be sure no mastitis was felt, and nothing else.   Keep us posted on how they are doing!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
Glad to hear the weaning is coming along well Chanda :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 12:31:30 AM »
I was always a "creep feeder" of my foals.  I took a corner, set up fence posts only separated enough so a foal could walk through -- not the adults -- and left food out for the foals that they could nibble on to their hearts content.  I did that until they were a year old.  They seemed to do well, keeping good weight and learning not to "wolf" down their food, so kept digestion problems to a minimum.  Since their tummies are smaller than the adults, it let them take in what they wanted comfortably, and go back when hunger called.  Just an idea.

Glad Bonny is getting her normal figure back, and Tana is gaining!!  I wouldn't worry about their udders.  The discomfort will go quickly and udders will shrink.  I just always did a quick "feel" to be sure no mastitis was felt, and nothing else.   Keep us posted on how they are doing!

I had a creep feeder for my full-size foals, but with my range of mini sizes, it would be hard to make the gap small enough to keep the mares out and let the foals in; when there is a 33" mare in the mix with 36-38" mares.  And, I just don't seem to have a good spot to put one with my set-up.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 12:34:10 AM »
Glad to hear the weaning is coming along well Chanda :)

So far, so good with the babies, can't wait to order the new feed (used previously, but became unavailable, and is now available from a different source); the mares looked so good on it with their first foals, so hopefully it can bring htem back and they will probably stay on it as long as the new source has it available.   The current feed is working fine for the geldings, so they'll stay on it, as will Topper, and probably the mares that were open this year.  Che` is going to try the "new" brand senior and the skinny girls and babies are going on that brand as well, just a different formula.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »
New feed on order, will be here next week.  Can't wait to get them started on a proper foal feed, and have them on it at least for the winter, then I might put them on the senior with Che`, so I don't have so many different feeds in the feed room. 
Can't start them too early, Bliss is a little light on top, so getting them on the foal feed should help.  Probably should have done it sooner, but foal feed is special order around here, and that's a pain (the order doesn't always go through and I have to wait and wait).   
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 05:06:02 AM »
I have a bag of stud balancer and a bag of condition cubes. I try to give foal the stud balancer cause she's not struggling in any way lol but charm could use a few extra calories. Foal will eat charms before her own tho so now I just throw it all in and let them pick out of the same bowl lol

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 12:53:45 PM »
Mares' bags are finally going down, and they have two halves again, instead of one overinflated bag.  Bonny is picking up weight better than Tana.   the new feed arrived bright and early this morning, delivery guy was here before 8 (I'm an hour from any town, so not used to such an early arrival).  Started mixing in today, and I can't wait for the change over to be done, so I only have to scoop out of one container to feed and no mixing (I've been mixing to try to keep the mares' weights up, so I've top dressed with a ration balancer and rice bran).    Bliss isn't liking the new feed, so didn't eat breakfast; will try sprinkling a little on the soaked feed tonight and see if that helps.   [New feed is extruded and smells like pink bubblegum, at least that's what it smells like to me.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 07:47:38 PM »
Top dressed Bliss' breakfast with a bit of the senior that's in the mix they've been on, she ate more of her breakfast, but still left some.  I'll keep top dressing and see if that works, and hope eventually she just eats it.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 09:05:38 PM »
Was almost going to say I forgot to check her dish today, but I did check it and she had eaten pretty much all of her breakfast, only spilling a few pieces.  I'll keep top dressing with the senior as I transition from the old mix to the new feed and see how it goes.   Can't wait to be done with the transition, I hate the week or so of mixing for transitioning feeds.   Glad I'm not changing the geldings or Topper.
Chanda
HC Minis