Author Topic: Hurricane  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Hurricane
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:15:39 AM »
I just wanted to shout out to all our Friends facing the threat of this Hurricane. Our Prayers are with you! Please keep in touch so we know your ok!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

Re: Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »
Good one Holly , I was thinking about this when I woke up this morning , Diane and others please stay safe and we are thinking of you  ;pray

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:23:25 PM »
I'm more on the west coast (about an hour inland from the Gulf of Mexico, so I think we'll be just fine, just a lot more rain and wind, but nothing too bad for this season.

Provided it doesn't turn, I'm good here.

Praying for all the others that may face this storm, as it moves up the coast!   ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:27:08 PM »
Glad your safe Diane!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 10:41:55 PM »
Glad your safe Diane!!
Yes, glad you are safe.

And, praying for all along the coast that they stay safe.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Anna

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 02:31:38 AM »
Feeling so very sorry for those affected so far and saying prayers for those in Matthew's future path - such a terrible storm.
Glad that you are safe Diane.

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »
>:( :o >:( :o >:( 8) >:( :o >:(
I had a big ole' commentary and it got dumped when I had an incoming call.

Oh well, it was more of a political commentary anyway. LOL

Suffice it to say, your prayers blessed us. We had-and continue to have-potable water. Our electric was only out from Friday morning at 8:00 until this afternoon at 3:30. We cook with propane. No major damage. One tree fell on the newly framed barn BUT didn't break anything because it was just barely nailed together to finish the leveling. Easy fix.

Our county (Hoke) got hit very hard, so keep up the prayers. I'm sure our mission will be very VERY busy next week, so again keep up the prayers for Beatitude House.

Paula had quite a bit of flooding and road wash out. The last update I had from her, they had power, water and ponies were soaked but safe. If I hear from her again before she posts, I'll update.

Diane, I'm so very glad you and your family are well and safe!! I was very concerned. Congrats to on the new addition!!

Bye for now, honey wants us to check on his restaurant now.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:18:10 PM »
Glad your ok Julie , please give our very best to Paula if you speak to her :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »
Glad we have come through the storm with no tragedies.  Sorry for the damages, but glad everyone is safe and healthy!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 08:38:02 PM »
I'm glad everyone is ok! Sorry I haven't been on in so long. last laptop finally kicked the dust but I got this new one up and going. I can't believe the damage those hurricanes can do! my inlaws have a big place out in Florida and years back got hit by 3 in a matter of 3 months! I'll keep praying for every one in Matthews path!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 09:40:27 PM »
Glad you are safe.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 03:06:35 PM »
Yes, if I'm thinking of the same time, that was in back 2004, when Hurricane Charley hit my house here where I live, and then the next hurricane came a couple of weeks later and hit another house I owned back then about an hour away.  Then the third hurricane came in and missed both houses that third time.

It can really look like something exploded or cut all the forest trees off at the same level. They sure can do damage!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 12:48:28 AM »
I'm glad that others here on the East Coast are OK.  I want to thank everyone for thinking of us!!

So... we got hit 2x(3x if you include the rain event on 2 September - the day Larry and I picked out his car).  The week before Hurricane Matthew hit, we had a front come thru that dropped some 8" on our place and 11" of rain in Fayetteville (think areas north of us averaged 6-9") and all of this water soaked into the ground and ran into the rivers - creating a rise.  I have no idea how much (if any?) at Julie's that she's not talking about.  While you could see that we'd had "some rain", the sand soaked it up so fast that it w/o knowing we'd gotten that much, you'd never have known.  However, our "little road" (.7 miles from the paved main road to our home) was washed out between the paved road/the pond AND the pond had filled too fast for the 4" drain pipe to allow it to empty (think it might have been clogged w/ debri, too?) so water was over our road. From the pond to our place was relatively fine and a nice drive.

We DO have 2 guys on our road that have tractors and work on keeping the road nice and drivable - but seems the last few years they've had quite the feud going on and things haven't gone so well.  On top of that, the easement doesn't seem to allow enough "space" to properly ditch the road on both sides along it's full length.  So...  But one guy got together 5 truckloads (18 wheeler size not pickup truck size) of clay and fixed the road.  The pond eventually emptied enough that the water wasn't going over the top of the road (tho level stayed VERY high).  When Larry and I offered to help pay for it, he turned us down.  BUT later the guy sitting at the top of the road - 1st house closest to the road & next to where a lot of the damage was done - raised cane about how he'd not allow anyone to cross his property again if the road washed out.  This time, we did pay (but get the impression that some others didn't) don't know for sure and doesn't really matter to us.  We happy we can get in/out and we don't have road/grading equipment!

Hurricane, didn't seem too bad during the day.  We did lose power for a number of hours until the next day or so?  then it was off/on - off/on. 

Working on pics and will do more of a write up tomorrow...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC