Author Topic: Big horse tales  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Big horse tales
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 11:58:49 PM »
Beautiful Chanda :)

I remember reading the story of your heart horse on your website. Knew from that moment I read it , how special he was to you.

Im a sucker for horses with white blazes/faces , white socks ect

Both my biggies have plenty of white. Ill hunt a few pics down of them and post them tomorrow :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 12:03:31 AM »
Beautiful Chanda :)

I remember reading the story of your heart horse on your website. Knew from that moment I read it , how special he was to you.

Im a sucker for horses with white blazes/faces , white socks ect

Both my biggies have plenty of white. Ill hunt a few pics down of them and post them tomorrow :)
Thank you.
Wish I had more pictures of him on the computer, but most of his pictures are regular camera pictures, as he was mostly pre-digital.  And, the pictures I have are all in albums, so not easy to scan.
I do have a couple baby pics that his breeder scanned and e-mailed me, several years ago; I can share that, he was such a cute baby.
And, my screen saver; picture is from like 1997 or 1998, when I was in Colorado for a couple years.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 12:12:37 AM »
Wow look at those long legs...  Yes he certainly was a cute baby :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 12:31:52 AM »
Wow look at those long legs...  Yes he certainly was a cute baby :)
I know, right, look at all those legs.  It probably explains how I had a 15.3h half-Arab.  I got him as a neglected 3 year old from a stupid SOB, who had thrown him out into a mountain pasture with 6 mares and a mule that beat the crap out of him.  We had a rocky start, but I'd do almost anything to have him back.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 12:47:59 AM »
More times than not its the ones that have the "Roughest start" to life that end up turning out to be the best.

Im sure he knew how lucky he was to have come into your life :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 11:12:41 PM »
Promised I would add a few photos into "Big horse Tales" and here they are. Fitzy, Monte and one of them both running around after I had let them out into the big paddock to graze the spring grass. Fitzy has the full blaze.

Monte is my forever horse, who got me back into riding after quite a few years out of the saddle after a fall during trackwork and will see out his days with me he is now 17. Fitzy I got with the intention of eventing him at some stage. Last time I was working him before hurting my coccyx, his wear and tear signs as a thoroughbred were starting to show, especially after taking him over a few small jumps. I have few friends looking for trail mounts which will suit him perfectly , if not he will retire with me . He is 10yo.

Im allowed to get back in the saddle as of now though Im holding off until the 10th of November until my partner is back from the USA. Reason being is , If i start to hurt badly again, Its going to be too hard to be able to get around home and get things done.

Right now, I can still feel the issue in my coccyx but not near as bad as before the steroid injection. Im allowed 1 more Mid november and then if its not fixed by early next year, I have to have it removed. Which means 6 weeks off work laying on the couch.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 12:36:14 AM »
Very nice, Ryan.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 05:45:12 AM »
Handsome boys!!  And we're praying that all will continue to move forward and heal so you won't need the surgery in the spring.  I think you're being very smart being cautious until your partner is there to help you if it acts up again.  Keep us posted on your healing and we'd love to see more pictures of these handsome boys!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 04:06:50 PM »
Lovely photos everyone! Really love hearing about other peoples horses.

A recent one of Jed - though very blurry. I don't get to film/get photos often haha

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »
And another jumping one

Offline Ryan

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 05:30:39 PM »
What sort of horse is Jed ? Looks like he has a bit of clydie in him ?  Mine are both TBs.

I love seeing everyones pics too , its giving me that extra will and motivation to make it back into the saddle :)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 09:46:13 AM »
Do you still ride Paula ?

Is the beach local to you ? I have to drive about 20 mins but its certainly worth the drive.

Hmm, the last time I rode competitively was in 2008/2009 and I last rode in 2012.  The 3 mares (all purebred Arab) I rode have all since crossed the rainbow bridge.  I went to driving in 2010, not just because I enjoyed it and wanted to utilize the ponies for "work", but because I was already having issues with both hips locking when I sat astride.  The pain, when it happened, was incredible - causing shortness of breath, blinding by tears (embarrassing!!) and the in-ability to move - even to dismount.  The Arabs were a little easier, not quite as wide as some of the QH and Paints I'd been riding for others.

I don't know about other areas, but here in the states, riding is based on weight sometimes instead of ability.  I was told by quite a few trainers that I shouldn't be riding at all OR should be riding much larger horses.  However, they were always referring to taller, not more substantial/larger frame.  I've found that a much smaller horse, with more substance, is better - both for carrying my size and to reduce my own fear of heights (gotten worse as I've aged, LOL) AND just to make it easier to mount and dismount.

Back to weight - since I took on a predominantly desk job 3 years ago and then not riding, I've lost much condition myself.  Riding helped to keep me in shape and not having a straight desk job also went a long ways...  I'm not sure I could "nicely" ride right now - while I havne't gained much more weight, what I have is no longer "in shape".  Not sure how else to describe it.  I do know that over the years, even heavy, I surprised many a trainer or even pleasure riders.  It's amazing how many people think that just because you are heavy, they think you know nothing about aids, balance, helping your horse to find balance in precarious situations, etc.  I was never a "sack of potatoes" type of rider and always tried to find things that would help me improve and help my mount - especially since I did know that my size was/could be compromising for both safety and performance.   

All that said, I found and spoke with a trainer/instructor that is in our Draft Horse club.  She has a Hafflinger mare that may work well for me.  Of course, she's one that is for sale, so she may not have her when I make plans to go visit(December - when I have two weeks off from work and time to recover go up there a couple of times and then recover from the "new activity).  She lives 2 hours away from us and that type/length of driving is now bothersome for me as well...  I will also probably take at least a pair of ponies and a cart to drive them at her place.  My own western saddle will not fit her and she is making sure she has either a hunt seat or western saddle that my "wider bum" will fit in on this wider mare.  I will be happy to let everyone know how my "new" ride goes, when it takes place.  I didn't think I would, but I HAVE missed riding!!

Here are some pics of me riding -

working on collection and flexing on mare that was paralyzed on the right side for years before coming to us.

Our middle daughter decided to ignore my directions to lounge her feisty, 3 yr old Arab mare.  She ended up in the mud beneath PG's hooves and it took a while for the stitches to her armpit area to heal.  In the mean time, I took over riding PG - hoping/praying that she was large enough and finally able to carry me.  In just 30 days I had this little mare so light and somewhat balanced up, we were doing piaffes, shoulder-ins and 2 tracking (yes, in western gear - didn't have an english/dressage saddle of my own).  With all the work she was getting and how well she did at a trot, you'd think she would get much better at a canter/lope - but after any length of time, she'd always end up cross leading and no amount of equine chiro, massage or flat out conditioning ever seemed to fix that issue.  She was a "hoot" to ride!  And at 13.3 hh, just a few short years later, she was SOOOO much easier to mount and dismount (for me)...  These two pics taken 20 October 2002 - so 14 yrs ago.  (wow, I didn't realize it had been so long - :(  )

Taking an english riding lesson on Chaunter, our first Arab mare.  The instructor insisted that I "work harder" at flexing and stretching down into the stirrups.  The result was that I pulled muscles in both of my feet, calves and thighs - causing severe Plantar Fascitus (spelling?) that would affect me for years (still?) and caused me to be barely able to get out of bed and walk and couldn't mount or ride for a very long time...  Why can't fitness (& riding) instructors realize that with someone who is larger and/or out of shape, that they need time to re-assimilate stretching/flexing just as an out of shape horse does or someone/horse who may never have actually done what is being asked....   ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!

Chaunter's 2000 1/2 Shetland son.  He matured to the same height as his dam of 14.1 hh.  He is 6 yrs old in these pics (Jan & May) and I finally felt he might be mature enough to handle my size.  Part of me has always wished I'd never sold him - he turned into a supremely smooth/fun ride in any tack and could go for hours (built up of course) under me. 

The last pic of me riding and also last competition ride.  This is a timed trail ride (hunter pace?) - that a group of Huntsman (Yadkin Valley Hounds - don't seem to have a website anymore) used to put on in NC.  They allowed any type of riding equipment as long as safe and suitable to horse & rider, required helmets.  You rode with a partner, could do the jumps if you liked, had a map & markers of the trail.  Up/down hill and banks, thru streams - it was timed for each group (beginner, intermediate, advanced) and you couldn't be too early or two late.  Think this is the one that Gail and I won, but can't remember.  We were disqualified at one - we had gone off course and couldn't figure out how to get back.  Came in from wrong area for our level and "too fast".  We'd enjoyed the ride and had a blast.  We did this over a 2 yr period in 2008 & 2009.  I was having issues with my hips then already and before I could make a "forest pitstop", I needed to make sure that i could safely re-mount PG (from a decent sized log or a ditch bank). 

If you are directing the beach ? to me, we are about 3 hours away from the coast now.  Yes, there are/were rides that could be done on the beach but we never coordinated such rides when I wish we could have.  Now, after Hurricane Matthew, I don't know how long it may be before anyone can ride along the NC coast.  Just getting to places where you could legally park, right now, would be very difficult.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »

No idea! I know his mother was a 15.1hh chestnut thoroughbred - it would be next to impossible to have a clyde crossed with a chetsnut produce a tovero so i assume that his father was a bit of a hienz. Maybe Irish draft who had a kinoodle with a standard irish cob made a big baby that made a Jed hahahaha

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »
Well, I totally understand, Paula.  In my older age, I've become a much "wider" rider, having gained weight over the years from a combination of side effects of heart medicine, and just "giving up" on all the craziness of worrying about my weight once I left the corporate world.  Now, being a realtor, people just "get" what I am -- they either like me or they don't, and although I would love to be thinner, I just don't seem to have the drive I used to. 

I haven't ridden in many years -- but I raised and rode Arabians as a young woman, and then my last were my Peruvian Paso horses.  They were good sturdy horsed, between 14-16 hands and I so loved riding in their "rocking chair" saddle that I bought from Peru.  They have the most fabulous rocking gait, since they are a naturally gaited horse -- no gait training required -- and I don't think I ever enjoyed riding a horse more.

But a bad accident put pins in my hand and my 4th concussion, and my kids just asked me to give up the biggies. I agreed, but I never should have.  I keep longing for another riding horse, and am always keeping my eye out for the perfect one.  Problem is, I don't have the property I used to have, and many of the places I rode are now all fenced in and unavailable.  I never really enjoyed riding along a roadside or highway, so I may never get back to riding.

Beautiful pictures!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »
I just had a chance to read and catch up.
I love seeing all the riding pics. Yalls horses are just beautiful!

I sold all my biggies except kate. I just cant give up riding. Kate is a been there done that kind of pony (13.2 hh) so big enough to ride and not to far to fall off of. LOL. Kate is the best biggie Ive ever had. She NEVER bucks and nothing scares her.  We ride at night, through the woods, down our street ( we have very wide easements to ride on). Ive penned cows on her, done obstacle courses and places in open horse shows with her.  For fun weve jumped and taken many 5-6 hr trail rides.  Kate has also taught many adults and children to ride sense she has been with us. Ive had her about 7-8 years. One thing I just love about her is you can put her out to pasture and 6 months later jump on and she is the same as she always is, no fuss to ride.
I dont have many pics of me on her because I am the picture taker. So I will just share a few of my faves for now.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com