Author Topic: Do you think Willow is in foal?  (Read 18224 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Re: Do you think Willow is in foal?
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2017, 05:07:30 AM »
I am getting worried about her.
But I dont think it has anything to do with her foal. I researched the signs of Laminitis, I got pretty worried. But it said they may look sad/down and have a loss of appetite, but shes very happy and perky still eating as usual. And I was assuming the laying down was because of the foal. I also read that they should stand in one spot that they find comfy and stay there it if were laminitis, but she is either walking around while eating, laying down or standing under the tree napping which is all normal for her. So In a way I am doubting it.

I have just been out tonight and I have picked out all her hooves, all of them seemed fine, no heat in her foot or joints still and no pain to touch and lift. Until I got to her front right as I went to pick it up she stumbled forward and tore it from my hands and wouldn't bend it. I lifted it slowly and gently got her to bend her leg and she seemed a bit better with it but didn't like it bent for too long. But still no heat in it or in her joints, no swelling either.
I sat and watched for a while and she does small steps and looks to be avoiding pressure on that leg. Also on her hoof there was a flap of sole half attached I dont know how to explain it.

I was thinking maybe she twisted it and its hurting a lot. Which could be why she is laying down a bit as well. Mum is going to call our farrier hopefully tomorrow to have a look at her hooves. The are also just due for a trim too.
I have a book with her vitals recorded so Ill check them tomorrow to see if theres any changes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  :(
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2017, 05:49:16 AM »
Having a farrier check her is the best way to go.  He should be able to tell for you.  We'll be waiting to hear.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
Ill post when we get one out

But here she is this morning. She is already getting so fluffy and its only Autumn !  :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2017, 04:41:12 PM »
 :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »
Carly with all the rain that you have had theres a good chance there may be an abscess in her hoof. Horses will often walk or hobble around avoiding putting weight onto it.

Please get your mum to get the farrier out as soon as you can , your farrier will be able to show you how to put a poultice on to draw the infection out if it is an abscess.

Also if theres any advice I can give you , would be to get her off the Green grass till the problem has been solved. If it is laminitis , the grass is adding to the problem and definitely  NO treats( apples or carrots)  as they are high in sugar and also will add to the laminitis problem , if it is that ...

Message or ring if you need any advice , you have my mobile number :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
GREAT advice, and I hope the farrier can get there soon!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »
I echo that advise. If there is ever any doubts about laminitis the best action is immediate laminitis treatment (soaked hay, no feed apart done a light balancer that is formulated for lami prone horses) and stalled on a very deep bed  to avoid any damage to the coffin bone.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:40 PM »
I got a text off Carly last night to say the farrier had been booked to come out , If I hear anything I will let you all know :)

They are thinking it could be arthritis and due to the fact she is nearing the end of the pregnancy, they are thinking its putting extra pressure on the legs.

Hopefully its nothing too serious  ;pray

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »
How old a horse is she?  I'm hoping it isn't laminitis, as she sure doesn't need that this late in pregnancy. ;pray ;pray

Offline Ryan

« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »
17 if i remember correctly . Yes I hope so too as I know a lady whos mini has a laminitic episode in the late stage of pregnancy . She had to stop breeding her due to this.

Anyone else have this issue with their pregnant ladies ?

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »
I agree with everything else said, and wanted to add that  Kate got ouchie on her front feet when she was pregnant the first time, she also had a lot of edema that pregnancy and the vet felt she was a bit stocked up from it.
If farrier can't find anything I would see about x ray on that hoof.
Best wishes for her!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »
We had the farrier out yesterday. I told him about my concerns and he said he cant see anything there that could be causing any pain, and he said that she had a lot of sole build up that may have been uncomfortable and being pregnant and getting some age on her could all add up to how she is feeling now. Hopefully once she foals she will feel better.

I have also decided to sell my stallion Toby and not breed anymore.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »
That's GREAT news, and yes, having a hoof "off" can make walking uncomfortable!  This is such good news!!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »
If you like Toby, you can always geld and keep him, train him to drive or something.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2017, 03:39:35 AM »
I think this afternoon I see a very small improvement in her walking, only a tiny bit but that's something!  ;D She still has her normal attitude, and appetite. Just a bit stiff in her knees to walk.

I do love Toby, but we have 7 horses now, and Hotshot will be here tomorrow, plus Willows foal and Snickas is most likely pregnant too. We have had to make lots of new fencing arrangements which got quite costly, because of Toby attacking the others.
I dont have the money to geld him and I feel as though if I did I'd probably do nothing with him anyway, it would only be to stop him breeding. Now that I will be riding, and I recently gelded Kevin and I have plans for him. So either way Id probably waste Toby when someone could either breed him or geld and put time onto him and he would become a very nice little boy.

But saying that, I have had Toby since he was 5 months old. I am going to be a very fussy seller.  :)