Author Topic: Do you think Willow is in foal?  (Read 18052 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Re: Do you think Willow is in foal?
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
Well I have been super excited, so you will probably all receive daily updates !  ;D I'm going to check on her now :)
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »
We're happy to get the updates as frequently as you want.  She's looking fabulous, and things will start changing...like her attitude!  LOL
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »
Cant wait for the next update :)

Hope Banjo is much better today and hes over the colic episode.

Havent heard of mares having sensitive ears during pregnancy but it could very well happen.

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2017, 01:52:41 AM »
Texas is also suffering the same symptoms as Banjo.

Tenae called the vet today and he thinks it may be collic..... But he is also leaning toward the Hendra virus.
The vet said to watch it and if they get worse he will test for Hendra and if it comes back positive they will have to put them down.
Kevin has been sharing a paddock with Banjo and Texas, he has bad diarrhea same with Ted. I honestly feel so sick right now. Kevin means absolutely everything to me  :( But the vet wont even come out to have a look because of the possibility of hendra.

I guess we just have to see if they improve. I'll be completely and utterly crushed if 4 beautiful horses have to be put down  :'(

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2017, 05:22:43 AM »
On a positive note, they look like they are improving, I have been keeping an eye on their vitals and Tenae has been keeping up on the medications. I have started a book and I will print up some tables and start recording their vitals for future reference if they become ill (hopefully no time soon). We are also going to look into the hendra vaccine as well :) 

Back to Willow!

My dad came home for the night from work, this afternoon he went and said hello to Willow and gave her a pat on her head near her ears. She swung her head away and stormed away from him, I think he took it personally haha!

The first udder photo is from 6 am this morning and the others are from about 5pm.

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2017, 06:03:24 AM »
Congrats on Willow, that is so exciting!!

On the other front, I'd never heard of Hendra, so had to look it up.  Found some info on your AVA website - where it comes from (flying foxes).  In 2016, it was determined that horses do not automatically need to be euthanased.  I was looking for more info, but I'm out of time...  IF it is Hendra - all info says highly contagious to the humans that care for the sick horses - high death rate in humans that have contractd it with direct contact with sick horses (!!yikes!!) - PLEASE DO BE CAREFUL and take care!!!

Good luck on your job interview. 

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
Oh my. Certainly hope it's not Hendra. I know nothing of it but it sounds just horrible. Willow looks to be acting udder wise in the last 4-8 weeks! Super Happy for you!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »
This from the World Health Organization:

Hendra Virus (HeV) Infection
Hendra virus (HeV) infection is a rare emerging zoonosis that causes severe disease in both infected horses and humans. The natural host of the virus has been identified as being fruit bats of the Pteropodidae Family, Pteropus genus.

HeV was first identified during the first recorded outbreak of the disease that took place in the Brisbane suburb of Hendra, Australia, in 1994. The outbreak involved 21 horses and two human cases. As of July 2008, eleven outbreaks have been reported, all confined to the east cost of Australia. Horses have been identified as the intermediate hosts, transmitting infection to humans through close contact during care or necropsy of the ill or dead horses.

Symptoms of HeV infection in humans range from mild influenza-like illness to fatal respiratory or neurological disease. Horses are the only animal species in which natural infection of HeV has been reported, with a case fatality of approximately 75%. There is no vaccine for either humans or animals. The primary treatment for human cases is intensive supportive care.

And from the Merck Manual:

Hendra Virus Infection in Horses
(Equine morbillivirus)
By Bonnie R. Rush, DVM, MS, DACVIM, Equine Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University

Hendra virus (HeV) is the prototype species of a new genus Henipavirus within the subfamily Paramyxovirinae and was first identified in Australia in 1994. The viral agent is endemic in specific species of fruit bats (also called flying foxes), and close contact with these bats is suspected to have facilitated transfer of the HeV to horses. Horses are infected by oronasal routes and excrete HeV in urine, saliva, and respiratory secretions.

There have been multiple, sporadic incidents of human and equine disease in Australia occurring in 1994, 1995, 1999, 2004, 2008, and 2009. The case fatality rate in horses and people is high, with reports of 81 horses and 4 people succumbing to Hendra virus infection, including an equine veterinarian investigating an outbreak.

Very close contact is required to transmit the virus among horses and from horses to people, and the virus is not considered highly contagious. Equine veterinarians are considered at occupational risk of contracting HeV. Infected horses develop severe and often fatal respiratory disease, characterized by dyspnea, vascular endothelial damage, and pulmonary edema. Depression, anorexia, fever, respiratory difficulty, ataxia, tachycardia, and frothy, nasal discharge are common clinical signs. (Also See Overview of Hendra Virus Infection.) A commercial HeV vaccine for use in horses is available under a Minor Use Permit for release to veterinarians who have completed an online training program. Horses must have a microchip to be vaccinated, and the information must be entered into the HeV Vaccine National Online Registry. The vaccine consists of soluble forms of G glycoprotein of HeV; it does not contain modified or inactivated virus.

So apparently here in the US there is a vaccine, but not sure about Australia.  But, perhaps you could find out.

Keep us posted!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2017, 05:31:21 PM »
Glad that they are starting to improve Carly :)

The Hendra virus is every bit as bad as you are reading everyone. It is transferred from fruit bats to horses and then on to humans. Due to it being highly contagious, unfortunately horses that contract it , have to be put to sleep. Farms are quarantined for months after the contraction due to the severe nature of the virus. I think there has only been one case down south where I am , but have read of many up towards the top of Australia.

Very sad but most humans that have contracted the virus have died from it.

When you text me last night Carly , my stomach dropped when you mentioned the "Hendra Virus" I found it weird your vet would mention this as being a possibility without coming to see the horses.

Maybe Im a little more aware of what the virus is , so frightened the beeeeep out of me.

Im hoping it is just the change in the hay you have purchased.

And crossing everything possible that its not "Hendra"  ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »
Sending prayers it's not that virus!
live barn camera link:

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2017, 02:22:39 AM »
Texas and Banjo are looking well today, a lot more lively thats for sure!

Banjo still has a sore stomach but they aren't laying down and rolling anymore. I don't think they have Hendra, but it's definitely not something to mess with so we are taking extra precautions around them for the next few days with them still isolated. The vet said to "Act as though they DO have Hendra".

I have also heard those humans who do survive it have life long issues with their health.

Apparently the vets wont come out because of the possibility, they said if the horse gets worse they will come out, take a blood test send it off and thats all, if the test comes back positive they will come back out and put them down, then they have to quarantine our property and close neighbors for full property examinations, and all your other horses have to be tested. And we also have to go get tested as well. I think all of this new information hit me and I went into full panic mode.

But hopefully they continue on their recovery and don't go down hill.  :) Thank you all for the help and words of hope!

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2017, 04:42:18 AM »
Here Willow is today  :)
Her udder is a lot smaller today.
Also I attached a photo of Willow pulling faces after she ate Banana  :D

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2017, 07:58:13 AM »
Glad to hear they are doing better. Sure is a scare!
I've had just about all my mares decide no udder is a good idea after starting to get one! Typically after it comes back with a vengeance! Hope it's the same for you and Willow. Btw... Willow is one of my most favorite horse names.... Don't be surprised if you see I use it eventually!:)
live barn camera link:

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
I'm so glad to hear they are doing better. I think its a bit of a worst case scenario to jump to Hendra! I only know that when BSE and foot and mouth broke out here half the country was on lock down, thousands of cattle in a certain radius were killed if just one animal had it - millions of pounds worth of healthy animals just gone.

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2017, 05:55:54 PM »
Glad to hear they are doing better. Sure is a scare!
I've had just about all my mares decide no udder is a good idea after starting to get one! Typically after it comes back with a vengeance! Hope it's the same for you and Willow. Btw... Willow is one of my most favorite horse names.... Don't be surprised if you see I use it eventually!:)

Yes Willow is a particularly nice name. I think it might sound nice with "meadow" too...willow and meadow..hmmmm!!!! ;)