Author Topic: I'm not IN the boonies, so why?!  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
I'm not IN the boonies, so why?!
« on: September 14, 2016, 01:41:30 PM »
??? ??? ??? ??? ???
So why....do we have such intermittent cellular service after what I considered a fairly mild storm??

I realize that Hermine really battered Diane's area. We only received 3 1/2 inches of rain here. Some parts of NC got hit harder, with much more wind.

But we're not really rural. Drive 30 minutes in any direction and you hit small cities. We border one of the largest bases in the United States. Yet cell service can be spotty.

I've sent emails, PM's here, and even posted a couple of new topics and comments here. My sender says "sent".... but do YOU see anything?? Why NO, NO YOU DON'T!!  :o :o

SO, there's one small rant off my chest for today. Thanks for listening!
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: I'm not IN the boonies, so why?!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 02:10:49 PM »
Don't know why you have problems, but we just blame our problems on the local phone company.   They have a bit of a monopoly out here, and their service isn't always that great.  I can see a tower from my bedroom window, and yet, some days I have no service at that end of the house.    We still have dead zones in certain areas, bottom of a hill, bottom of coulees, etc.
You know all those cell phone maps they show on tv, even the one with lots of coverage, well, we're are the blank spot near the Canadian border, in northern MT.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 06:09:04 PM »
We have terrible internet at home and I wouldn't consider where I live rural at all.

Nothing worse than typing a long post and the internet drops out. Phones can be just as bad here too , service is great then all of a sudden , a few days where there is no service at all.

:(

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:37:34 PM »
OMG!  Not to answer here, but your "moving" icons are the coolest!!!!!

Can't wait to try it myself!

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:50:22 PM »
OMG!  Not to answer here, but your "moving" icons are the coolest!!!!!

Can't wait to try it myself!

Wow, I have something special on mobile??!! Goooooooo mobile!! LOL

Glad to see you again Diane. I was a bit concerned you might have gotten washed or blown away last week.  And thanks everyone for sharing your comments. Guess it's not just us. 

Since we are next to the military base, I often wonder if our weird blips in service may be related to "urban training exercises." Sometimes when I see the helicopters flying low and slow over the roads I do this:

" Hey, HEy, HEEEYY! HEY YOU, SNEAKY PETE GUYS!! Can you hear me?! I'm down here in this *fill in description of vehicle*. Can you see me?? Can you see me and HEAR me?? If you do, follow me! I wanna see what Sneaky Pete guys do!"

Sometimes it seems like they DO follow me.....for a bit at least. It's much more fun than screaming "cowy, cow, cow...moo, moo MOOOOO!!" out the windows!  >:D  >:D

Of course, it could just be paranoia too........
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:53:55 PM »
No, I'm still here, but have been working WAY too much the past week.  I'm tired of the 12+ hour days...too old for this!

But I've been reading every day, trying to keep up.  Had some computer problems, but my IT guy seems to have gotten everything worked out for me.  Thank goodness for really computer sauvy people!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 01:28:02 AM »
I know what your saying Diane, I.T experts are worth their weight in gold. I would hate to think how many broken windows I would of had over the years , had I have not had an I.T guru.

The amount of times I seriously thought about picking up the computer screen and throwing it through the window  :))

Hope you get a chance to put your feet up over the weekend Diane :)

Julie you make me laugh :)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 08:05:34 PM »
Julie -

We had one storm a while ago.  Not a lot of rain, but was windy and there was lightning...

Some trees had come down on our "private" road.  Power out, but repaired w/i a few hours.  But then - No phone(s) (verizon - personal??), no internet.  Found out it was because down the line (somewhere?), lightning had hit the lines that modem/router are on.  Burned up some of the lines, and "landed" in our home (last on this line).  We had connectors literally "fried" (and burnt black) BUT they replaced the modem/router and only some of the cables/wiring plus the burnt connectors.  Still had no internet service for a while.  Now it's back, but it keeps dropping out - which it didn't do before...

sigh.  The burnt lines shouldn't have affected our cell service at all - but sure has been "freaky-deaky", since that one, not so bad storm!  And here, for us, we didn't even get 1" of rain from Hermine on our property.  It flooded out places around us, though.

I really miss Charter for internet. 
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC