Author Topic: In need of brillian ideas.  (Read 1265 times)

Offline HarmonyMeadows

• Harmony Meadows Family Farm
In need of brillian ideas.
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »
Ok folks, we have been having a hell of a summer. We are still at a level 2 drought but I am happy to say I found just enough hay to make it through the winter. Cost me a small fortune but it is done.

Unfortunately my horses have found a gap in a section of fence that is, at this time, unfixable. Not a big deal for my big guys, they don't bother. But my minis are happy as pigs in you know what! So they have to go back into their pasture. Which is actually two but Lightning and his girls are occupying the other side. Not a big deal since it is still hot. But once the cold comes, they can't be back there. So I am kind of screwed. I need to figure out what to do with Lightning for the winter. My fence budget is zilch. I have to try to make due with what we have for now. To make matter worse my bucks and pigs are knocking their shared fence down. But that is another thread.  :'(

So thoughts on my dear boy. He can't go in general population....too many mares I don't want bred. If he is put on his own he paces himself into emaciation. He is not an easy keeper on a good day. Most of my round pen is now in service elsewhere. They are predicting a long, cold, snowy winter...which means daytime high temps as low as -30 to -40 , wind chills and snow from 3-5 feet deep in places from November/December to April/May. I HAVE to have them set up in escape proof pasture in the next month to month and a half or I am totally screwed.

Options so far:
-Find somewhere that will board a small mini stallion for the winter....not likely
-Somehow scrape enough fencing and shelter budget to make a small pasture for him and one or two girls.
-Cry, cry and cry some more.

So any ideas on making a pasture on the cheep that is mini stallion safe and shelter? More shelter than fence. Fence we have only a couple options but thankfully we have a small area with perimeter posts so might be able to make something work. And we can bring him and a mare in the barn at night. So bright ideas for shelters. Must be able to withstand high winds and can't be pallets. They are expensive here.

Thanks guys.
A work in progress!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: In need of brillian ideas.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 04:50:39 PM »
Do places give away wood pallets where you are?   not necessarily pretty, but can be quite functional.  Sturdier if you can use at least a few t-posts here and there to stabilize.  [I try to find pallets that I know haven't held chemicals, pick up most of mine from the local feed elevator, they don't have to ship them back, so dispose of them.]
I'll see if I can find any pictures of places I've used pallets, some are against sturdy fences, but they make more of a barrier than mesh for wily stallions.   One place, I have 3-4 up for a summer fence, do have a couple t-posts inserted to make them sturdier.
Sometimes lumber yards have 4x8' pallets (sheet goods come on them), but usually they are shipped back to their supplier, you might still inquire, perhaps where you live they would give them away.   I'm off to bring the mares in from pasture, so will get a picture of my short section of pallet fence, that is just pallet and t-post.

[Picture of Topper, pallets against his paddock mesh fence in the background.  Can't find any better at the moment.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
Ok, so this is only 3 pallets long, but still gives you an idea.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
I googled "pallet corral" and these are a few of the images that came up.

Here's a corral someone built from pallets, it's on pinterest:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/31/95/27/319527b78de89e383244f7afe63219d1.jpg

Another:  http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/3/38/500x1000px-LL-38613edd_IMG_0123-copy.jpeg

Another:  http://www.thestylishgardener.com/uploads/1/8/0/5/18059603/1522566_orig.jpg

A YouTube video on how to make a pallet fence:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRouZJI7aQ

Some don't like pallets for horse fencing, and say they are dangerous or not sturdy enough; but for what I've used pallets for, they have been just fine.   Might be just the low cost ticket to get you by til you can build something more to your desire and needs.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 05:47:15 PM »
You know, a person I knew that had miniatures -- I wouldn't call her a friend as she was one of those horrid breeders who took advantage of new people looking for miniatures -- used to have several large pastures, and she used the metal "stakes" and ran several lines down existing pastures, using the smooth electric fencing on the stakes -- several strands she just wrapped around the stakes -- and then tied bright yellow "scarf-like" pieces of material that would flap in the wind.

She constantly moved that "fencing" around to save her pasture from over-eating.  Perhaps something like that?  And I would keep a bred mare or two with him, as they would already be pregnant and not interesting to him, and that might help him maintain his weight over the winter.

Just a thought. 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 09:36:22 AM »
Shelters - the "hooped coop" idea of cattle panels works really well.  You can just use a tarp (heavy duty ones - expensive - DO hold up to high winds).  I don't have any hoops for sheltering our ponies yet.

Here is a pic of a hooped chicken coop and a pic of a hooped roof over a pallet shed.

What happened to the post from you device feature?  I can attach it to the bottom of the post via "Browse" but the button to put it into the post is gone???

Trying to attach a pic via GOOGLE - who took away my easy post a picture feature when they deleted Picasa photo albums.  Hopefully this still works...

**edit to add - and now the pic shows up from the computer add on...**edit to add

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 09:49:08 AM »
That's interesting!

Now I'll try the 2nd attachment again.

and another one.

You could easily attach the "hoop" to an existing fence (to the posts) or put in steel t-posts to hold it.  I've even seen where it was just strapped from end to end w/ the straps sitting on the ground (yes, the wind can/will grab that, LOL!).
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 11:53:27 AM »
blog post re: cattle panel building and snow loadshttp://atinyhomestead.blogspot.com/2012/08/cattle-panel-structures-and-snow-loads.html

Economy horse shelter - http://www.dutchhollowacres.com/2009/09/21/economy-horse-run-in-sheltershed/

Google "hoop shed from cattle panel" and you'll get lots of ideas and some different ones, too.  I added a bunch of ideas/pics and written info to my personal files (pics, word docs).  LOVE IT!

You can attach metal or fiberglass sheets to the cattle panel hoops - to make a more sturdy and able to stay in place type building - as you can afford them.

Our family drinks lots of soda - 2 ltr bottles.  We are saving them and going to try to attach them to the hooped panels as a roof.  Still saving and cutting right now...  Here's pics of what I'm basing that off of.

and - https://dengarden.com/landscaping/How-to-Build-a-Greenhouse-Made-From-Plastic-Bottles

Do you have round bales of hay wrapped in looooooonnnnnnngggg strands of slightly smaller haystring?  Do you knit or crochet?  No time?  Get one of those little plastic "knifty knitter" type things.  I have the red rectangular one from Boye.  You can "loom/crochet/knit" panels out of hay string to use on the sides of your building, or even for fencing(!!)...  While watching TV or even while checking children's homework (or I've been able to so far).
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC