Author Topic: Porky pony  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Porky pony
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »
I need help.....
Precious is a pregnant porky pony. She is very overweight. She has a thick crest, and fat pockets. I feed a ration balancer, Nutrena empower, no grain.
I am trying to decide the best way to help her loose weight. I stall her at night with 1/2 a flake of hay.  I don't want to keep her stalled as she needs movement, but doesn't need all the grass all day long.
I am wondering if a muzzle would help. Has anyone used one?
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Porky pony
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:59:15 PM »
Do you have a dry lot area you can put her in?  If not, if you can do a makeshift small fenced area, and mow the grass almost down to the dirt, it will become a "dry lot" in no time at all.  I always found putting them on dry lot allowed me to control their intake.  Then you can move the hay around so she has to walk to eat, and she'll get some exercise while she's nibbling.  Then, I would start taking her for walks.  Start out on short walks if she's out of condition -- we don't want to disturb that little one -- but she needs to be in good form for the hard work of delivery.

As we near winter, the extra fat will be a benefit in helping her keep warm, and I would imagine with some dry lot, controlled intake, walks and the cold of winter, she'll be in good form for spring and delivery!

Keep us posted!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 09:08:18 PM »
I don't right now, one we add on to the barn I will. I have to get her feet corrected before I can do much exercise.  I am really worried if I don't get some weight off her... I will get pictures so you can see
live barn camera link:

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:21:05 PM »
Holly ,
I use a muzzle on one of my little mares , who had foundered a couple of years back. The one I have has a little hole at the bottom so she can still consume some grass but not at the intake that she used to.

There are alot of people that are not big fans of the grazing muzzle , but I look at it more from the exercise point of view and she being able to move around with the others.

My other little mare , develops a heavy crest when allowed on green grass, so she is limited to grazing time also but doesnt wear a muzzle. They have constant access to plain grass hay and I also mix in alfalfa/lucerne + access to a mineral block.

I agree with Diane also regarding the dry lot and the fact that as you are heading into winter that the extra condition she has on at the moment.

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:33:39 PM »
Ok here are the pics, it is really difficult to tell from pictures, but there are large fat pads over her ribs, to the point where the ribs are very difficult to feel. I am very worried about founder. We dont get snow here, and we have a winter rye that pops up, so i am very concerned.
I agree ryan, I want her out with the others, but she never lifts her head from grazing, and she doesnt rest during the day , just eats 24/7... she is not happy about the 1/2 a flake a night,  and she only gets 1 cup total daily of the Empower.  So I know she is getting the vitamins and minerals she needs.

live barn camera link:

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »
How is her weight going ? :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
Ive started stalling her longer,and cut her hay at night back. She already looks better. I am going to get the dry lot done asap and plan on using that instead of stalling. No luck finding a muzzle that fits. 
live barn camera link:

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »
Ill check what brand Mine is when I get home from work and let you know ....  Glad she is starting to trim down  little for you :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 07:29:54 PM »
Sounds like your moving in the right direction!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »
Thank you! I tried a sheep muzzle to see and yea it was so small so no modifying it lol
live barn camera link:

Offline Ryan

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 06:59:24 PM »
The Brand I have is "Roma". I have had it for 2 years now and its held up very well, still looks brand new :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Thank you, I will look into that brand.
live barn camera link: