Author Topic: LP Painted Chix  (Read 1687 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: LP Painted Chix
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 10:20:59 AM »
They are adorable, and such good news you "got" her!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 10:24:54 AM »
Haven't posted here in 6 months!  Well, not all the other chickens made it.  BUT of all the chicks - we are now getting lots of eggs DAILY.  I have 4 LF hens in with a bantam EE roo, in 1 coop (the one with the protein bucket hanging), 6 LF hens/3 bantam hens with a bantam roo in the other coop; and 9 hens with a full size EE roo in the "nursery" coop by the barn.  Also - the bantam hen that hatched the batamX chicks - 1 of the 4 is a black roo and have 2 black & 1 blue pullet...  They, too, have started laying eggs.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »
Gave away 9 dozen eggs to family a couple of weekends and need to cook up some eggs this weekend and feed back to the birds (too many and a bit old, too).  So, we are started going on the getting good things from what what we are producing. 

Bought 5 swedish ducklings a few weeks ago - all have made it in the brooder in the house and we are looking at transferring them to the ground outside soon...  3 are blues, 2 black.  Don't know the sex's yet - 1 black is very tiny and at first didn't think "she" was going to make it.

Only have pics from a while ago, none current.  Will try to take some this weekend.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of chickens and ducks.
My MIL sells her excess eggs for $3/dozen; she has one customer that buys 12-16 dozen at a time.  [She does ask that the customers save and return the cartons for refilling (helps keep her costs down; all cartons are recycled store cartons with the dates crossed off).]    She's been getting a couple dozen a day lately.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »
Here's pics of the ducklings after shifting them outside for the first time yesterday.  I wasn't sure they'd make it thru the night w/o a light and was afraid to check on them.  Larry did for me.  It got down to 41* last nite (AGAIN)...  They were fine.

As to the eggs, Larry and I do still eat a lot of eggs, plus we feed the extra back to the chickens.  Currently not selling them - just going to family (that does help on ocassion here...)  :)

Now, need to butcher a rabbit or two. 

Of the ducks, only want to keep 1 drake and 2 or 3 hens.  Then the rest would become nice sitr-fry!!  YUM, not as large as the Pekin, but close enough.  They were 3 weeks old on Wednesday.  We do want to get some other ducks and LOTS more chickens - to put in our freezer for us, for our adult kids and for our dogs (6).  The plan is eventually to get totally off of purchased feed for the small livestock and pets.  Don't know that I'll be able to do that with the ponies, but we shall see..
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »
They are so cute!  And you sure are getting lots of eggs.  Wish you lived closer as I'd sure be buying eggs from you!  We had chickens when my kids were small and I sure miss the "free" eggs!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 07:11:13 PM »
Yes, at the other property, the eggs were considerably "cheaper", LOL.  They were and did free range for much of their feed.  I did feed but about 1/3 the amount for the same number of chickens we have here and now I have a lot more chickens.

We boxed up 10 dozen eggs yesterday (from the whole week), then got eggs this am and will have more this pm.  I do need to get an accurate count...  Haven't been selling them yet, considering it.  We have 2 other "homesteads" that sell eggs on our main road with signs out by the road.  I haven't really attempted it yet, since we knew we had family that we wanted to provide eggs for.  Now just need to figure out how to get them to our other daughter regularly. ;)
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »
Here's another sampling of colors on the larger eggs and 3 bantam eggs.

and yes, I'm hoping to do more in the feeding them more naturally, though don't know that we'll ever go back to completely free range.  To many predators here - some of which are domestic dogs belonging to others (not our direct neighbors on our road).

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »
Ah !!!!  Easter eggs without the work !!!!