Author Topic: What do we reckon?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
What do we reckon?
« on: August 27, 2016, 05:07:03 AM »
Had a maiden mare in to cover. After finally getting her to cover she's covered for 5 days. I've no idea when she actually came in because banner was very interested but she would not cover. Eventually she was tied up basically and got covered. The rest is history (floosy!!!!)

Anywho she's a spitter and today is what I believe the last day, potentially already ovulated, but I made sure to hold banner in but as soon as I let him down she spat it all out again. Was last covered Thursday. Same again though she just spat it all out.

So what's the chances  ;D

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: What do we reckon?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »
Remember the old adage.....it only takes one!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »
Charm the same today so I reckon both will be off tomorrow. Now we wait again!

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
I'm racking my brain for how we covered spitters at Harlan's. It was back in the early 1990's though, so will take a bit to remember details.
As best I recall we used a bumper, positioned mare with head downhill, and she was on a lunge line. As soon as stallion dismounted, she was sent off at a smart trot and was kept moving for at least 15 mins. I know we changed feed and water routines for spitters too....just can't pull up the details.

What is a bumper?? A bolster pillow placed between the mares rump and the stallion. If being used to encourage better penetration, we pulled it after he was mounted and stable. He'd then move forward forcefully, thinking the mare was moving off. He also used it when he wanted a better chance for a filly, but left it in place. I was told they had better than an 80% success rate doing this. In the time I was there, the 3 mares we used bumpers on had fillies.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 06:34:49 PM »
That's really interesting cause last year I held him in charm a lot more cause it was my first time. This time I've just been letting them loose Breed while I hold banner cause I wanted charm to be able to get away unhindered if she felt foal was getting in the way. She's not a terrible spitter but she's a damn spinner and I just can't tie her up atm for previous reasons. I do this all alone too so I just have to rely on luck really. I try to get them to walk on immediately and charm usually does fine. Visiter does too but spitting at the same time lol

I've seen more horse goo in the past week than I have cares to see!!

Two looooooong weeks ahead lol

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 06:57:01 PM »
Well, we're here waiting with you!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 08:22:37 PM »
It's quite common to see fluid expelled as the stallion dismounts. The sperm rich fraction is the second fluid the stallion releases, the third is the gel like part most commonly seen. This fluid expelled typically has no impact on the ability to impregnate a mare. 😃
Best wishes!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 09:00:42 PM »
Agreed ! I've seen that stuffed leak/ squirt out like crazy and the mare still got pregnant , only takes one of the million guys to get in there haha good luck!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
Mare gone home today. Fingers crossed its not been a wasted stay! I REALLLLLLLY want a banner baby for her. I'll certainly feel a bit of a failure if shes not :(

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 06:25:18 PM »
Oh, don't feel bad.  I usually kept mares for a couple of months, just to ensure some good pasture breeding.  But then, I'd get mares into Florida from Canada, so it was worth the "mare care" to make sure they were bred before they went back home.

We've got fingers crossed for you!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 06:16:34 AM »
I did want her earlier, her owner kept watching for seasons but she was maiden and not showing to her stallions. Eventually i just brought her cause i was able to have her and Banner together because they were a wanted breeding pair lol

Offline Ryan

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »
Fingers crossed that she took during her visit with you  :)