Author Topic: OOPS!  (Read 1425 times)

Offline HarmonyMeadows

• Harmony Meadows Family Farm
OOPS!
« on: August 13, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »
Well we had an oopsie here and it looks like I will have 3 foals next year.  ::)

I shuffled pastures so that the Lightning and his girls could stretch their legs in a bigger pen so I moved the minis into one half of my big pasture, the big horses into the other half and Lightning and his two ladies into the mini pen in front. The two pastures butt up to each other but they can't actually touch. (So they can't breed between fences.)
Well my hussie of a pony mare (40 inch, palomino grade.) came into season and has been hanging around the fence for the last week or so. I kind of had a feeling this could be trouble but it has been deadly hot and I wanted everyone to have the best areas I could with the most shade so I let it be.
We have a cell phone tower on the back part of our land. An area I don't let the horses into. But to get to it, the company repair and delivery people have to come through both the mini paddock and the big pasture. It involves a series of gates that for some reason, this company's people seem to have an extremely hard time understanding. So they open the gate....in runs mare.
Oh well. It makes her happy. ;)
No, I wont lute her. I have room for the new baby (actually hoping for a colt to keep daddy happy) and her last daughter is a superstar. My only regret is that she is my swayback mare. She was ridden by heavy riders young and bred several times before we got her. The vet has said she is sound but I was hoping not to breed her again for obvious reasons. BUT she adores being a mother. She lives for it. It is the one time she is actually a happy mare. It changes her completely. So while it wasn't what I wanted to do, we will let it stand this time and welcome one more baby into our midst next spring. This baby is going to either be palomino or cremello.
Lightning is happy, Aurora is happy. It's all good.
Pics are of Aurora and her daughter, Astra. (the decorated one)
A work in progress!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Re: OOPS!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 05:50:53 PM »
Sometimes oopsies arent such a bad thing!   It is what it is and if your happy I am happy!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 10:38:40 PM »
So excited to see these new little ones coming!  I'm happy you're happy!!  And glad she's a good momma for you and produces well!

Looks like a great lineup for next year is underway!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 09:38:36 AM »
No matter :)

Re the sway back, i have heard GREAT results from doing loads of muscle work - such as pushing them from underneith to make them hold their back up for approx 10 seconds, release, again etc. Bit like crunches for horses! And then long lining in reins that are down quite low making her work her back more. Won't make it go away, but will help with the new strain of a foal.

Offline HarmonyMeadows

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41:02 AM »
I am ok with it. I was hoping for her sake not to have her bred again but it will be a lot easier on her than the alternative at this point. And we kind of knew the risks with taking on a stallion. I would like to geld him. At 19 years old he really has nothing left to prove and we need more foals like a hole in the head but the vet already said no. So we do the best we can. Hopefully I will get a colt that he can be happy with and once this hay crisis is over we can make his big paddock on the other side of the property so he doesn't have mares in his face. This year, sadly, hay had to come first and we are paying a premium for it. But it's all good. We are doing great. And Aurora LOVES being a mom so she is happy.  ::)
A work in progress!

Offline HarmonyMeadows

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
She is my hardest mare to catch. She was badly abused before we got her and has no like for people. Takes two or three people to corner her to get a halter on her for farrier and vet work. She just wants nothing to do with people. And feed doesn't work either. We mostly just let her be. She is a sweet girl though. Once you have her she is very respectful for the most part. And she is really good in a stall and when you handle her baby. She just has no love of people. And we respect that about her.
A work in progress!

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »
Oh boy haha well sometimes Oopsies happen! Can't wait to watch her grow and then the foal be born, should be a cutie!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 10:36:16 AM »
Thank goodness she has you to love and understand her and her special social needs.  She's a lucky horse!  And I can't wait to see this little one!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline HarmonyMeadows

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 12:39:50 AM »
Well it wasn't intentional but it seems to be making my mare very happy. Happier than I have seen her in a while now. Everyone is settled and doing great. Hopefully this will work out for the best.
A work in progress!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 05:55:54 AM »
Sounds like it's just fine, and we're excited to be following her to a successful little one!!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 09:46:50 AM »
That will be an OOPS worth following.  Will make a nice cross and with you caring for Aurora, everything will work out fine.

I know about OOPS happenings and I currently have a mare and stallion "happy" as well... 

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
It's been a couple of months, how is Aurora coming along? Do you think she's settled? I agree with what Diane said, she's in a good place when she has people that understand and accept her special social needs. That's the trick to having animals, in my opinion. You assess their personalities, idiosyncracies and special needs and then decide whether or not you're willing to accomodate them. If not, rehome.

I'm curious as to how you'll manage her later in her pregnancy. Will she have special needs physically because of the sway back?
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!