Author Topic: Smudge's Foaling Page  (Read 10483 times)

Offline Renée

Re: Smudge's Foaling Page
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2016, 08:23:28 AM »
I am so glad she waited for you and that you had a great holiday :) It sounds like she is trying to get baby in to position. I am looking forward to seeing pics too.

Offline Julia and Smudge

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
pH dropped to below 6.2 last night! Calcium is sitting around 500. Which one do you usually find to be more accurate? Here are the pictures!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »
Once the PH drops that low I dont take my eyes off of them! Ive had mares go from 8.0 to 6.0 in less than 2 hrs, Ive had mares sit on 6.2 for 4 days, but typically once that ph drops to 6.4 or less its 0-24 hrs
I use different strips, but the ph has always been the best indicator for me. Alfalfa in the diet will cause the calcium levels to read higher. But once calcium levels start to rise and ph starts to drop it close!
Her vulva is looking relaxed, look for it to turn a scarlett red ( instead of the light pink).
Best wishes for a safe foaling!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »
Okay, here's what I see.....just perfect and nicely loose elongation!  An udder that looks pretty ready, except it's hard to see because of the color, but with staring, I'm saying she looks ready in the udder department.

Baby still a bit sideways, but with her pH at 6.2, DO NOT LEAVE HER ALONE!!  Pack up the sleeping bag and be with her.  She's going to do some more rolling to get that baby lined up perfectly, but she should not be left alone.  NO sleeping and checking on her hourly!  That's not enough -- baby could try to arrive at 1 hour and 5 minutes, and might need your help and you wouldn't be there for another hour.  That would be too late!  So, hunker down in the barn -- I used to sleep in the stalls of the sneaky mares -- as she's looking really ready.  You will start to see that inside lips of the vulva go from a salmon color to a red.  At that point, gather up the supplies -- lubricant being an important one.  Print out the "Preparing for the Birth of your foal, and post it in the stall for a reference.  We pray you will NEVER need it, but it will be there for you should you need it.

I'm very excited for you, and hope to hear an announcement soon!!!  To me, pH is what I relied on -- and yes, they can sit at the 6.0-6.4 for a couple of days -- but I PROMISE -- it will be worth being tired but available to her, should she or that beautiful little one need you~!!!

Sending lots of prayers for a safe and uneventful delivery of a healthy little one!! Keep us posted!!

~~Diane
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2016, 06:39:29 PM »
Wishing you a very safe arrival :)

Offline Anna

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2016, 03:33:08 AM »
Any news yet? Sending prayers for a safe and smooth delivery.

Offline Renée

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2016, 04:03:18 AM »
I agree it is the p.h to watch. I also agree that at this point she should NOT be left alone. These girls can be real sneaky, I have had a mare go from sleeping quietly to foal out in 20 mins so not even a coffee break is possible. ( Believe me, I lost a baby cos I went to the house to make a cup of tea).
It is also Karma, if you are there and prepared, baby will pop out nice and easy. lol
Sending prayers for a safe and easy foaling. Hugs

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2016, 09:11:11 AM »
<<<<< Also anxiously awaiting an update.... :)
live barn camera link:

Offline Julia and Smudge

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2016, 11:59:42 AM »
Another night with no sleep and still no baby! We asked her if she was going to have it tonight and she sneezed and shook her head LOL I think she's enjoying this way too much ;)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2016, 12:52:29 PM »
Another night with no sleep and still no baby! We asked her if she was going to have it tonight and she sneezed and shook her head LOL I think she's enjoying this way too much ;)

Of course she is laughing at you, the more sleep deprived she keeps you, the more likely she'll be able to sneak it in when you turn your back for two seconds to get that cup of coffee and the toothpicks for your eyelids.

I have another couple days, before I'll really start keeping a close watch on my girl.  I know they don't read the book so they can go at anytime, but she had her first at 324 days, so will watch her closely when we get close to that date, which isn't too far off.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Julia and Smudge

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »
Smudge nightly update! pH is still sitting around 6.0-6.2 and calcium is around 450. I took some pictures tonight of her for you to see!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2016, 08:59:39 PM »
That udder is just plain gorgeous!!!  And it appears baby may be dropping some.  She looks like she's been rolling a bit, and baby is poking out a bit less on the sides, so keep up the watch!  She could go anytime --- especially if she things your not looking!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Julia and Smudge

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2016, 09:08:07 PM »
We don't take our eyes off of her! Luckily we have three people here to watch so we all take a shift through the night. Keeps us all somewhat rested! :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2016, 09:12:23 PM »
Oh how sneaky of you!!  But I'm so glad you have help in the waiting.  These last few days/weeks can be really tiring, but once that little one arrives, you are going to completely forget how tiring this wait was!!  Keep us posted, we're all praying for a safe and uneventful delivery of this precious little one!!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »
Oh Goodness! She is looking close!! I am so excited for you!
C'mon Smudge give us all our first forum foal!!
live barn camera link: