Author Topic: Precious foaling thread  (Read 15889 times)

Offline Anna

Re: Precious foaling thread
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2016, 05:56:27 AM »
She's a bit difficult to read isn't she?  Her body shape and mood would say that she's ahead of her earliest possible foaling dates, but her udder in that last picture looks quite normal for a mare with two previous foalings. Maybe the foal is lying a bit awkwardly and therefore making her feel a bit miz at the moment.  But as we are soon to be at the end of December and she could foal around the end of january to her early March dates (Feb being a short month), showing a little movement in her udder from now on could be correct (if she was following the 'book'!!).  I dont think you can do more than give her the freedom to exercise and roll if necessary and to keep an eye on her Holly.  Will be watching this space with great interest!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2016, 05:58:12 AM »
Thanks Anna!!!

Okay, we'll just watch with you.  And lopsided is good. So we wait!  Sometimes these mares are so confusing.  We've got a ways to go by dates, so just keep us posted! 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2016, 08:31:40 AM »
Thanks yall...!
I keep feeling like she is closer than her body is telling me, but that could be because everything but her udder is gearing up.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2016, 07:31:51 PM »
That's why to me growing an udder is a nicety, but not a requisite.  Some just fill at foaling, which makes the wait very confusing! LOL
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »
yes it does. Her udder was puffier this morning. She doesnt seem to look any different otherwise.
Were fixing to get a cold snap, so I am busy getting barn ready. Freezing temps in Texas is terrible news!!
live barn camera link:

Offline Suebe

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2016, 11:56:12 PM »
yes it does. Her udder was puffier this morning. She doesnt seem to look any different otherwise.
Were fixing to get a cold snap, so I am busy getting barn ready. Freezing temps in Texas is terrible news!!

Holly and everyone how do you handle the cold with a new baby? Ours is also coming during the cold, anywhere from 32-40 (F)degrees. I feel like the second it's out I want to jump in the stall towel it off and throw the blanket on but I also understand the importance of mom and baby bonding for a bit, they always lick their babies which starts that of course. What do you plan on doing and do you have any advice? I'd love to hear from anyone this is my first cold weather babe

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »

Holly and everyone how do you handle the cold with a new baby? Ours is also coming during the cold, anywhere from 32-40 (F)degrees. I feel like the second it's out I want to jump in the stall towel it off and throw the blanket on but I also understand the importance of mom and baby bonding for a bit, they always lick their babies which starts that of course. What do you plan on doing and do you have any advice? I'd love to hear from anyone this is my first cold weather babe
[/quote]

I ALWAYS jump right in, help dry off foal, i stay in stall for hours, not interfering, but helping as needed. None of my mares have ever been bothered by this , and none have never not bonded with their foal.
I have a blanket ready for Precious foal and my stack of foaling towels.
 I also provide deep bedding, draft free area to foal in.  Course the barn camera, and milk testing , so far ive never missed a foaling. ( And pray I never do!!)
live barn camera link:

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »
We've got a wee bit more progress this morning.
Wee!
live barn camera link:

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2016, 03:49:10 PM »
so for the past few days Precious has had a tiny udder started, but I am noticing it is starting to stay up during the day instead of going back to flaps. I hope this means she will start really building an udder.
I think but cant really tell if her belly is moving forward of center.

On a side note to Suebe in the first udder pic you can see she has some crusty stuff on the ends of her teat, thats just normal sloughing ( or so I call it) And may be able to help you see the difference in what is going on with your momma to be!
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2016, 09:17:37 PM »
Looks like she's "centered" so watch her closely as baby will start moving forward of center.  At that point, a picture from the back will help to show that baby is lined up properly!  She is looking great !

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »
She is still pretty wide. Tail head relaxing more, so is vulva.
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2016, 05:58:56 AM »
Looking good!!!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2016, 06:26:58 PM »
Her udder is up a tiny bit more. Her shape has changed from behind a little bit. Still wide but the width has dropped lower.
First pic Dec 18 second was Dec 22
live barn camera link:

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2016, 06:36:49 PM »
Keep it up precious, you're doing great!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »
Doing just perfectly!!