Author Topic: Accuracy of transabdominal ultrasound in late term pregnancy  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Suebe

my vet was here dealing with a mild colic today on one of our horses so I asked her if my mini looked bottom heavy and a bit round, she agreed she did. This is exact to my word...she squirted a little gel on her belly did not clip and took a 30 second look total, 5-10 of it was trying to get her to hold still. She says she wasn't pregnant. Can I believe her and safely put my mare (maiden) back in with her herd? What's everyone opinion on this type of diagnosis when a mare would be around 10 months along?

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Accuracy of transabdominal ultrasound in late term pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 05:53:08 AM »
I don't know about others, but the internal ultrasound I would believe, but I've never had any experience with external ultrasounds, and too many times I've seen vets say not pregnant, and then a little one arrives.  Hopefully, someone here has had experience with the externals.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Suebe

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
Thank you and yes if anyone has experience with this, any experience please speak up. I switched vets last year, same practice just really like their new doctor, nothing but positives to speak of. She only graduated vet school in 2015 eek lol but she's good. Do I trust her eyes? Are minis the same as large horses when doing these externals? How could a baby hide?

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 07:03:37 PM »
I mini baby is more likely to be seen on an external than a full-size foal.  It's the amount of tissue to go through with a horse that is the issue, just their shear size makes externals less accurate.  [I hope that makes sense.  IT's been a long day, so I'm a bit foggy.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
I know someone who used a sheep scanner for mini mares, size being similar and that. They had a fair few scanned as empty go on to foal...

If the foal is as far along as 10 months a rectal palpation would "feel" the foal very clearly. Many vets won't rectal a miniature, which is their prerogative, but its mostly the best way to tell. I had Charm palped at about 7 months just to make sure it was all going okay, and the vet (a lady vet with lady hands) said she was kicked as soon as she went in so clearly everything was normal. 

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:47:45 PM »
Ive never had any experience with external ones either, have always had internal ones done. An early one to confirm pregnancy and then usually let things take its course. I did however have two done alot later in one of my mini mares pregnancies a couple of years back. To which the last confirmed she had most likely lost the foal due to stress from a laminitic episode , Much the same as Carlys mare willow.

Maiden mares can carry much higher up. Has there been any further development with her udder ?

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:52:19 PM »
He be had several minis ultrasound external. All were correct, as far as pregnant or not. However not accurate on gestation length. Had one made Vet said, in foal due in 2 months. She foaled 4 months later. Making her 6-7 months pregnant at the time.
I think early gestation would be more difficult to determine. By 10 month I would think it would be difficult to miss. However with him not spending much time, nor clipping hair, its possible.
Ultrasound is only as good as the person doing it.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Suebe

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 03:33:22 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing all your stories,  I guess I'll just not be neurotic but at the same time keep an eye for this next month just in case. Rocklone wow it's amazing they can miss a baby but I guess everything can look jumbled at that point, interesting!
Ryan here's a new udder pic, don't think there's any change but I'm not good at seeing small if any changes, thanks again everyone!