Author Topic: When does a filly usually have their first heat?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Suebe

When does a filly usually have their first heat?
« on: August 01, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
Hi everyone, some of you might remember I took in a tiny chestnut mini With the messed up hooves. I put pics up of her teeth and we all pretty much agreed she was around 1 1/2 years old, which is what the previous owners had said pretty much. Anyway when would she have shown her first heat?! I've had her two months, it's breeding seasons, I have not seen a heat yet. My concern is when we rescued her she was with a tiny mini jack. They were kept together from the time she was weaned. He was very upset when she left broke my heart :( mostly because he's stuck there in that nasty place. Now I really am wondering if she's pregnant :O what's the possibility at this age?

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: When does a filly usually have their first heat?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:41:39 PM »
She definitely could be pregnant. 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 06:45:14 PM »
As to when they can come into season, I've had them come in as early as 6 months and as late as 3 years.  I've had more wait past the 2 yr mark than the before 1 yr mark, though.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 07:09:53 PM »
How old was the Mini jack ?  Out of the two mares I have, One is very obvious when in season , the other barely shows at all. :)

I agree though she could be pregnant

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 07:44:55 PM »
It's been awhile, so I don't recall all the details; but, if she was malnourished when you got her, there is a chance that it delayed puberty. 
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Suebe

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 01:49:37 AM »
Very true she was malnourished so yes good point that could delay I suppose. The jack was older then the mini because she had said her daughter has been using him for parties that last few years so they were keeping him around,, poor guy that really stinks for him, such a nasty place.

Offline Suebe

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 01:56:35 AM »
My two mini mares are so obvious, they both show heat to even their favorite geldings lol but maybe Quinn is more modest,, I've been watching her pretty close though

Offline Suebe

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »
Hi everyone, someone who had been associated with the ranch this mini came from said they are pretty sure she was born around Valentine's Day 2015 so that would make her around 19 months. I got her on June 14, here's what she looks like today. My gut feeling is she's pregnant I don't know why...

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
Suebe, do you have a similar picture of her from the time you brought her home that we can compare to?
I would see if you can get a wee foal or a blood test done, to help you determine for sure, as she is young and still growing herself, that way you can be sure to feed her accordingly. She is so cute!!
The shape of her belly has me suspicious!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 03:48:40 PM »
Sometimes your gut tells you the right thing, mine always does. However, having just had my experience with a maiden mare for the first time, she did NOT show at all to the stallion, in fact if i was a little more nervous, i would have not gotten her covered cause i would have been SURE she was not in season at any point. Once she covered though, she became a real hussy and she did not even need a halter to cover, she just ran and stuck her arse out hahaha.

Offline Suebe

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »
Hi Holly, I took her in as a rescue, there's a post about it back when I got her. Anyway yes I'll put up a pic but keep in mind she was definitely malnnourished. I picked her June 14th, first pic is from June 19th, second pic is from July 11th

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 04:27:40 PM »
The belly is a little bigger but i would be more inclined to think that its from feeding than pregnancy. I doubt it would grow that dramatically in that space of time through pregnancy in such a tiny young mare.

Offline Suebe

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 04:33:35 PM »
Oh and I bought a weefoal 120 over a week ago from Foal guard which is in Australia so I don't expect t to see it too quick. My vet was just here a few days ago, my Haflinger is 227 days today very excited!!!! Anyway I asked her about Quinn and she said "no way too young" and didn't think it was necessary to even check, she was so sure she didn't even ask to see her : /

Offline Suebe

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 04:36:28 PM »
Rocklone I have no doubt and agree that she has gotten fatter, we made sure of that so I'm not judging her chub so to speak ;)

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »
I think to have a belly that size she would need to be approx 8 or more months, making her only about 10 months when she got pregnant...i know that is technically could be possible, but i really doubt it.