Author Topic: ?? Kechi ??  (Read 4391 times)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
Re: ?? Kechi ??
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2016, 09:03:44 AM »
Started a post last night and did the infamous hitting of the wrong key and lost it.  So here goes again -

Chanda -yes, vet and I talked about West Nile.  No she hasn't been tested for either that or Lymes disease and we are discussing it.  While some of the issues match up to part of each of them, none is really all there..(??).  We are now into November and not sure yet what I'm going to do on the testing front.

Have run out of the stomach soother (other than Alfalfa) and want to get some more.  Going tomorrow to the feed store.

Farrier was out again on 21 October and Kechi was trimmed again.  Again noted the red "crumbles" between the separated white line and the rest of her sole - but happy with the growth and how it looks and the fact that she doesn't appear to be sore.  Took pics this time of the front hooves, not the rear.  Will be attaching pics.  I did get some as well that show how her hips look and you can sorta see the "drop" in the left one.  Cat (farrier) pointed out that it might not be a "drop" on the left, but where the right has been "jammed up" - again possibly by running/chasing that she had received when harassed by the other mares - both right before foaling and also later - which I feel partially caused this whole episode. 

She is NOW on turnout, and we have switched around the way these girls are grouped.  She did get into a fight as one of the OTHER younger mares (bottom of the herd previously but willing to try to put Kechi at the bottom not that she can) and they both stopped/left off before appearing to injure each others' legs (kicking butt to butt).  They aren't accepting her, she hasn't "buddied up" with anyone, but she is doing better.  She gets fed a light breakfast in the AM, then turned loose.  In the evening they are all caught, fed and then she stays in the pen w/ free choice alfalfa and another feeding later in the evening. 

So here is a series of pics from the start of this ordeal.  I really haven't taken many, though... 

These first two pics were taken the 12th of May.  I had just moved Kechi from the Jr Mare Paddock, where she had been since the 27th of February, to the round pen with KoKo and GG.  She grew up with both KoKo and GG and they seemed to do alright when I put Kechi in the round pen with them.  GG had had her first foal, Chylly, the week before.  I DID NOT expect either Kechi or KoKo to foal that night and to have the two new foals on the morning of the 13th!!  I truly do not feel that Kechi was really ready to foal, but she did...  The "original" chasing had possibly started the night before - and both GG and KoKo ganged up on Kechi about mid-morning and when separated from her new foal then turned on the foal.  I quickly built a new pen, right in the round pen, that afternoon for Kechi and her filly Jynx - where they would stay for 2 months before I would attempt to re-integrate them into the little mare grouping...  Kechi NEVER did eat right the whole time she was in the round pen-pen...  PIcs now...

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »
Here are pics from 26 July and 29 August.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »
and then here is a series taken on 24 September - the day after the first hoof trim where a major laminitic event was noticed and a bounding pulse was found.  On 24 September, I didn't find a bounding pulse (and really haven't since), so think that that may have been something that day while trimming hooves?  We aren't sure...

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2016, 09:17:07 AM »
and here are the pics from the 24th of October.  Will try to get some more now, maybe today or tomorrow?  Want to groom her good as well...

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
Here is a link to Kechi's photo album on line (none of the photos from May to now, that I posted above in this forum, are posted to be seen publicly).  If you open this link in a separate browser you can do comparisons to her looks from about 6 weeks of age to now - minus pics during the time she had been sold and was at a different home (there are a few from that time frame that I took when I went over there).

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/116529838407687192287/album/AF1QipMDtI1cedgMrJPv3SoVdCE1lEJB7UGRHGXBQbvr?source=pwa

You can already see the weight loss between February and April - when I was already struggling with getting her to eat.

I have tried to feed her again in her new, "normal horse" bucket and she goes right back to slamming the bucket everywhere - losing most of her feed to outside the feed pen or into the sand at her hooves.  Also tried feeding her in a small tub on the ground, she just grabs it in her teeth and dumps it over on the ground.  So for now, she will continue to eat from "her" mobile feeder (my feed wagon - which I'd really like to have back!!)...  She has really taken a shine to that wagon! 

May build one of these type feeders and see if that works better for her...  If it does, then will build some more to do some free feeding of beet pulp and alfalfa pellets in the Jr Mares paddock (where our two oldest mares - Bell & Bit again reside as well).  Each of the mares now grouped in this paddock are underweight, especially going into winter.  There is a total of 8 ponies in this paddock again - Bell, Bit (the oldsters); Ami, Bunny, Classy, Flashi, Kechi & Shamrock.  Bunny, Flashi & Shamrock are all full sisters and they have seemed to have a hard time here on this sandy property this year...  Will be doing Power Pac worming with Safe Guard next week for the whole group, too.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
Poor girl, she looked like hell, but coming back and looks to have gained between the Sept and Oct pictures.  Hope you can get her straightened out.
I'm sure you done and tried everything.   Ulcer meds, probiotics, sand clear, deworming and probably every feed available to you.
Tana is on the verge of looking like those Oct pics of Kechi; but starting to come back now that I've weaned the hellion.   It's special order now, but I'm going to see about putting the mares back on the feed they were on when the 2012 foals were born, the mares looked great then, and didn't lose while nursing.   Need to order this week, and it'll be delivered next week.  Ordering: their feed, mare and foal for the babies (mares might get a little while they are trying to gain back lost weight), and senior for the old man (he's picky about the readily available senior, so going to try the other brand and see if it makes a difference).
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
WOW, she has really improved from those summer pictures!  GREAT JOB!!  Praying she continues to improve and strengthen.  She really look FABULOUS compared to where she went to during her down cycle.  I'm so happy she has such a strong will to survive!!

Keep us updated, as I'm still praying for a full recovery for her!   ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »
She is improving, Bless her and you!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 04:47:33 PM »
You have certainly brought this pony back from the brink Paula :)

She is starting to put weight on and looking wonderful.

She certainly is a "fighter" :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »
How's Kechi?
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »
Better, but not wonderful...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2017, 08:38:48 PM »
Better, but not wonderful...
Hopefully, slow and steady without too many bumps along the way, gets her there.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »
Slow and steady is what it's been for Kechi.  She was in one of the pastures that got some of the "fox tail" hay.  She didn't get sores in her mouth (that we could see) and didn't lose weight, but she didn't gain any for 2-3 months either.  Then she started gaining again and here are some updated photos. 

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »
She's looking better.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »
I totally agree.  Hopefully she keeps on the gaining trend.  ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'