Author Topic: Worming Foals...  (Read 1266 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Worming Foals...
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:29:48 PM »
Since we've had so many lovely babies born here, some that are already past the age of the first worming cycle due, I thought we'd just "hit" the topic for those that don't know the importance of worming these foals.

I always used Safeguard for the first worming of my foals. Then, if they handled that well, I would use Ivermectin for the second worming.  That way, they get an effective, but GENTLE worming to start, and then I would get them on the herd's schedule with Ivermectin.

I always rotated different wormers during the year, as some do different things, and once a year I would do a wormer that controlled/killed tape worms.

Does anyone do that now?  Please tell us when you worm your foals and with what, and what you use during the year and how often.

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Worming Foals...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:09:53 PM »
I'm running behind for "normal", but the babies should be dewormed soon, and I usually try to start with Safeguard. I have some liquid Safeguard, so guess I best be doing the math and figuring out how much they get and get it done.

Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »
I'm the same, Chanda. 

The only difference I do, Diane, is the 2nd worming is with Strongid.  Now, since we've had some fecal checks that are clean w/ our other ponies (foals haven't been checked), our vet wants us to wait a bit - maybe go 60 days between wormings rather than every 30 days.  Usually at 6 months we switched to an every 60 day schedule, but now the mature horses are a bit more spaced out too.  Instead of worming 6 times a year, I'm doing 1x a quarter, so 4 times.

If a horse looks like they need more or when I treated for the lice we did extra.  When we used Strongid, we do a double dose and I use the liquid.  Sometimes it's hard to get!  I'm on two different email lists and when it comes in i get notified - usually both in March and November (when I used to give the double dose actually).

Sometimes if one is doing poorly and I already have the wormer on hand (easy to get SafeGuard -Panacur- liquid when I get my feed) - I will do a measured 5 day power pack for that one only.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 06:03:44 PM »
I'm getting my first wormer on Thursday (pay day) it's ivermectin as that's what I've been advised. Just a small dose. I have then 6 weeks and worm with pyrante lat double dose, then fenbendazole 6 weeks later. That's basically my adult programme too so I hope it's enough? Maybe should be four weeks?

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:44:17 PM »
I have no idea what you need across the pond, Rocklone.  Some of the products you have access to vs what we have access to are different as well. 

I'd really check with your vet to see what you need since I don't know if the worming protocol is standard world wide.  AND w/ changes due to the worms developing resistance, you may have a very different protocol.  If you were told Ivermectin now, than that is what I'd do.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 12:55:58 PM »
dewormed the babies yesterday, used SafeGuard liquid, gave them each most of 2ml (dosage is 2.3ml/100#), they drooled some out, so not a complete success, stinkers.   Also got their first taste of a halter, they didn't like it.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 01:13:04 AM »
Yes, safeguard or panacure is a great 1st wormer, as it's delicate on their systems, but good against the worms, but it tastes awful!

I think the best thing is to rotate wormers during the year. I used to have a great schedule of different wormers that I used at different times of the year, and I'll have to see if I can find the old list.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'