Author Topic: Hows the weather ?  (Read 10519 times)

Offline elizabeth.conder

Re: Hows the weather ?
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2017, 01:28:29 PM »
We are currently trying to weather some horrible storms. They are kind of like mini hurricanes. We've had unbelievable wind. Uprooting trees and snapping branches off. A very short distance away people are having baseball size hail. Needless to say there are many broken windows and windshields. Some of my friends have even had hail come through the roof. The funny thing is the storms come and then go very quickly. But the rain comes down so hard that it looks like it's been raining for days. And then in between the storms we are are expecting 110 degree weather. It's pretty crazy right now. Thankfully all of the animals are okay. But we are expecting another heavy storm this afternoon.
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline Ryan

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
Thats Crazy weather Elizabeth, hope you are all staying safe. It actually sounds Like "Melbourne Weather"( where Im from) It can be raining one min and sunny and blue skies the next.

So thats 110 Fahrenheit ? 

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
Yes so about 43 Celsius. Earlier this year we had a day that went from 90 degrees at 3pm to 18 at 11pm. I think that is  about 32 Celsius to -7 Celsius.
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline Ryan

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2017, 09:20:40 PM »
Wow that is seriously like the weather here at times. We were lucky summer just gone , we didnt get the extreme hot weather that we usually do meaning less bush fires.

I am looking forward to summer, its so cold this winter, going through so much fire wood at home.

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2017, 10:17:18 AM »
 :o
Texas Heat Wave! 100 heat index yesterday. Ponies broke a sweat for the first time this year. Its SUMMER!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
Yes, Florida has been in a heat wave for more than a week!  Torrential downpours one minute, and the next minute -- and I mean the NEXT minute, HOT sunshine!  I'm always amazed at how the rain can pour down with no clouds in the sky and the sun shining brightly!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »
We are having plenty of blue skies here at the moment but it is     f  r  e  e  z  i  n  g

Offline Ryan

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2017, 07:35:16 PM »
In owning horses for 30 years I can honestly say that Ive never had the water troughs frozen over , until last weekend.

Three days in a row the temp dropped to minus 2  :'(

Offline clara cain

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2017, 12:17:14 AM »
I HAVE MY FANS ON THE HORSES.  IT HAS BEEN VERY HOT , SO WE GET THEM IN BEFORE 3 IN THE AFTERNOON. WE HAVE BEEN HAVING LOTS OF RAIN 3 INCHES ONE DAY AND 3 INCHES THE NEXT DAY.  FINALLY, NOW THE PATTERN IS CHANGING TO LATE AFTERNOON RAINS A LITTLE EASIER TO TOLERATE AT LEAST EVERYBODY GETS THEIR TURNOUT.  PAST TWO DAYS WE ARE EXPERIENCING HORRIBLE MOSQUITOES.  WE SPRAY HORSES BEFORE THEY GO OUT AND BEFORE THEY COME INTO THE BARN.  WITH THE HOLIDAY, THE COUNTY HAS NOT TREATED FOR THEM YET.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2017, 08:57:35 PM »
You are more than welcome to send me some rain here :)  This has been one of the driest Junes on record. Its ok now but we will pay for it in summer with bush fires.

How does your county treat for mozzies , ours doesn't here , but then again we don't have the rains you do. 

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »
You are more than welcome to send me some rain here :)  This has been one of the driest Junes on record. Its ok now but we will pay for it in summer with bush fires.

How does your county treat for mozzies , ours doesn't here , but then again we don't have the rains you do.

The closest town down on the river sprays with melathion (think I spelled that right), or at least they used to, I haven't lived there in a few decades.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline clara cain

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2017, 11:28:35 PM »
the county is state of the art.  They have planes, vietnam era helicopters, and fogger trucks.  They test the mosquitoes  to see what kind they are and treat accordingly.  The salt water marsh mosquitoes are especially vicious. they are especially concerned if zika gets started.  i don't know what they spray, but it is at night when everyone is inside.  i did hear that they are afraid the mosquitoes are getting resistant.  just think, without   air conditioning and mosquito control---no body would live in south florida.  in the 1800s the mosquitoes        were so bad that the cattle would suffocate to death because they could not breathe oxygen

Offline clara cain

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »
mozzies, ryan, :)    so interesting to learn about your country/culture!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2017, 12:55:59 AM »
More Aussie "Slang" you could say :)

Sounds like you all really need the spraying to keep the numbers low. What do you spray on your horses? And is the spray that the county uses safe for your gardens and animals ?

Offline clara cain

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2017, 12:36:06 AM »
suppose to be.  ha!   I use pyhrana aresol fly spray with lanolin on their bodies.  I feel that an aresol covers better and they like it because there are no big drops and little drops that feel like flies when spraying the pump bottle.