Author Topic: Hows the weather ?  (Read 10522 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Hows the weather ?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »
Warming up again, already 81 degrees today (thermometer in the shade); the thermometer in the sun says nearly 100.
Bleh!  I don't like the heat.
I want to try to mow the gelding pasture area, it's overgrown and they've eaten what they like, so it needs to be cleaned up. Not sure if i'll get to it or not.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2016, 03:44:02 PM »
Well, the figures are in. North Carolina just had it's hottest July EVER. We've definetly been creeping from shadow to shadow!

Most of my herb garden doesn't look like it will survive. My heirloom tomatoes though are still producing a bit of fruit and flowers. The old-time locals looked at my pictures and said that I should get fruit into November, if I keep them frost-free. :-). Looks like the heirlooms are doing what I desired.....surviving and producing.

My chickens are still growing out well. I culled my Polish flock to the White-crested black rooster, the splash, Tolbunt, and 4 buff-laced pullets. I'm sure Gretchen (the bantam hen) is still laying, I just don't know WHERE.

We are still in the upper '90's into next week with heat indexes of 105 for our county. My chores still get done before 11 and after 7. I'm seeing the difference in evening hours of light--it's getting shorter. :-(  :-(

I'm still a northern/western/snow country girl at heart. I'm feeling the instinctive push to lay in 1 ton of hay, 5 cords of wood, and a cold cellar full of canned goods!! ROFL
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2016, 05:19:01 PM »
I'm about done with this heat too! For the last 2 weeks now it's been 97 without humidity and it's been REALLY humid. I've had to keep all the minis inside the cool.barn with fans. It's so hot it's hard to breath outside :( today wasn't so bad and apparently a storm is coming later tonight! Maybe it will help!

I'm a winter girl too! I can't wait until summer is over haha

Offline Ryan

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »
The weather is starting to change here too. Today is going to be 21 degrees and sunny. This is the warmest day we have had in 4 1/2 months. Also noticed last night that the minis are starting to shed :) It has been so cold this winter , I cant remember it being this wet and cold. Ill be glad when im not having to cart wood to light the fire of a night.

Julie, I had one tomato plant that I potted and kept under cover last summer and as it was out of the frosts it produced fruit until the end of april this year.

Thats one thing im looking forward too, getting out into the veggie garden. I was amazed last year how much it cut my food bill down by :)

hope you all stay cool and ive said it before , Feel free to send some of the summer heat my way :)

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2016, 06:35:14 PM »
I would love winter or late fall all year round haha

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 12:31:42 AM »
Not sure anymore where we are in relation to Julie (Silver Heritage Farm, Raeford, NC) but know that it's about 40 miles distance (driving).

We hit 108* one day last week - with the heat index driving it much higher (somewhere between 115 & 120, not sure actual)!  It's been brutal. 

I lost a group of older chicks a couple of weeks ago when they went thru a period of laying on top of each other just like they do when they are first hatched - 6 weeks old (I think all 6 Buckeyes - can't tell them apart from the RIRs right now since I put them together).  Just got another 18 this past Sunday (7 Speckled Sussex - pullets, now 6 EE pullets & 3 white leghorns pullets & 1 white leghorn cockerel) - and lost one before I got them all separated into 3 different brooders...  Still had the rest today, will look for a working fan (several have "died" and I'm afraid to try plugging them in) tomorrow morning w/ the heat index again supposed to be high.

The GREAT thing about this "wonky" weather - we actually have some grass growing... Hope our hay producer did better this year with hay - he didn't say when he delivered the last load.  Other than "Kechi", only a couple of ponies are a bit "light" in weight.  I really expected, with this prolonged heat, to have many more!  It makes me really happy that they are holding their weight(s) really well.  I am hoping to plant some grass seed(s) next month into October - and hopefully that will help, too...

I am also already noticing the shorter nights, :(
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 06:19:19 AM »
Well hang in there!  The heat in Florida is killer, but of course, everything in Florida is air conditioned, so at least inside people are comfortable.

I love hearing about your chicks.  You'll have to share some pictures of them!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »
Sorry you lost you some of your older chicks , the heat can really takes its toll on all the animals.

Great to hear that the grass is growing ( hopefully it will keep prices down)

We are back to winter weather this weekend , rain , hail, storms, thunder ect and lovely temps of 12-13 degrees.  It got to 21 here yesterday, rugs came off my TBs and it was like a sneak peak of summer coming.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »
I know Ive mentioned it on another thread, but our weather has been somewhat disappointing over summer this year. It hasn't been near as hot as what it usually is here. The actual "Summer weather" in the high 30s degrees Celsius is here all this week and into next week, even the nights are alot hotter than they have been.

One thing I havent missed this year is the Bush fires  ;pray

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
Our weather is just CONFUSED! 

The "real" temp is right at 33* but the temp feels like mid 20's w/ the wind...  BRRRRR.  Snowing hard here right now.  I've got a few pics, getting ready to get more.  Moving ponies around in a bit.  It was over 90* last week, too.  Ponies shedding hard - but wet and frigid here today.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Ryan

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2017, 12:35:37 AM »
Summer has finally appeared here, not that its been cold here over the summer months , just not as consistently hot.

The last week has been over 30 degrees everyday :)

With so much rain over xmas everything is so green for this time of the year !

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »
Texas has chilled off a bit, but should be warming up again soon! Garden growing like crazy, new pics to come in that thread soon. Everything is turning green, and it's just beautiful! I love sitting on the porch drinking coffee in the morning watching ponies!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2017, 11:36:32 AM »
Still under snow, spring will try to arrive sometime in April or May.
Oh, and first live calf hit the ground this morning.  First time heifer had a little bull calf; I haven't been out there yet, so will have to try to get a picture later, I'm off to town to see the chiropractor.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
My cousin in New York got about 36 inches of snow overnight last night.  Here we just got some cooler weather...with the nights going down to the low 40's.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2017, 08:17:40 AM »
After snow dumping in MT while our youngest daughter visiting there (my mom), and her car being stuck in the snow about a mile from the house due to not being able to get thru the snow, it melted off and it was 55* there yesterday when she left.

In contrast, here in "sunny, warm" NC, we are battling winds dropping our temps into the teens for the past 3 days (around 18* w/ windchill most of yesterday - the warmer the regular temp got the faster the wind, so windchill stayed the same - MISERABLE)...  Currently it's 25* and there is ICE on any water outside of a warmed area.  When it warms up a bit more, will be checking for damage.

May have lost the plants the I planted 2 Goji Berry, 2 Butterfly bushes) as well as the ones we didn't (2 Blackberry, 2 honey berry).  Probably should have brought the ones not planted in to the house, but then would have had to figure out how to keep daughter's upset cat (since daughter gone) from tearing them up...  Plus I simply didn't realize we were getting this HUGE cold blast!

We DO need some precip here!  No rain, no real snow as predicted - we are already behind in water, heading into drought and the prediction is a hot, dry summer here.  Now that we are really working on planting, I'm very worried about water situations.  Think we'd have been better off putting our money into water containment system(s) from our roofs then in the floors...  :(  But it is SOOOO much easier to care for these vinyl floors than the carpet, so I'm happy (still a lot of work - TRULY didn't realize how BAD our dogs were being!!).

I can't get over this cold weather - when we'd already had temps in the upper 80's/lower 90's...  I had to pull out the coveralls for the first time this winter (IN MARCH) - I just was too cold!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC