Author Topic: Hows the weather ?  (Read 10503 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Hows the weather ?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 06:44:59 PM »
Great to hear from you Julie,

8 Eggs, for those that have chickens , Is that on the larger scale of amount of eggs laid? I have no knowledge of chickens but was under the impression most laid 1-3 eggs. Julie you will be able to start an egg farm ( Nothing better than fresh eggs).

Thanks Paula , yeah the winds here were coming through like a hurricane. The shed blew over again last night so will leave it as it is until the weather starts to improve and the winds start to die down. At the moment its tucked in the corner against the gate and I figure it is in the safest place at the moment and wont be able to do any further damage and its not any risk to the kids.

My Dam is at the highest point ive seen and Im sure its going to start to overflow into the back paddocks if it doesnt stop raining soon.

On the positive side i have noticed that the sun set here is starting to move back around , so the days are getting longer and the better weather is getting closer ( well I keep telling myself that anyway)

Cant complain too much as it is winter , it just feels alot wetter than the last few years. On the positive , lets hope this means cheaper hay prices moving forward.

:)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 07:08:48 PM »
Yeah, Ryan, spring headed back to you while autumn plods toward us. You might want to anchor that shed right where it is for now, since it keeps getting to the same place. That way you've no worries about where it will be next day.

I *think* my place might be in for heavy rains in the next 36 hours. Several ant piles that were constructed to catch the breezes have been frantically reinforced during the last 12 hours. I'm still learning how to read the nature signs on this new place, so I guess we'll see.

Now...for the naturalists, botanists, farmers and tree huggers among us...I have a question for you. And yes, I'm serious! Can the underside of branches get sunburned?? The tin that covers the trailer-port is VERY reflective. I noticed it the other day. We have a big pecan tree next to trailer, and a good portion of the day the sun is reflected straight up my poor tree's branch pits. I mean....it looks like a spotlight shining straight up!

I've never lived with a pecan tree, and it is dropping a lot of nuts. I do understand that it will shed non-fertile fruit. That seemed to have stabilized in late spring. Since putting up the roof though, it seems to have gotten heavy again. I don't want to hurt my poor tree!!

So what do you think? Sunburn? Stress? Overactive imagination??!!  LOL
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
Just wondering if the reflection of the sun light is acting like a magnifying glass on a paper.....you know, hot enough to start a fire, or in this case damage the bark?
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 09:23:38 PM »
Yes I agree , I think you'll find it is due to the reflection coming off the carport.

It may have gone into some kind of stress. I've just repotted some Bamboo that im planning to put in the ground during the better weather. They have all gone into shock since Ive transferred them.

My SIL is a horticulturist Im going to ask her for you.

Just read on the web that the soil around pecans can have some impact on growth, especially in a drought or hot conditions. What color are the leaves on the tree ? How much water is the tree getting ?

Ryan :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 10:36:43 PM »
More rain here over the last few days , I think we have had over 100mls in the last week. The lake at home is so full I have no doubt with anymore rain it will start to overflow. We have a small creek that comes off the lake and winds in towards the house, it was quite narrow before winter now it looks like its going to drown the Buddha statue that sits beside it.

Im very grateful for the rain we have had this winter , I just hope hay prices come down next year  ;pray

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2016, 08:06:28 PM »
Ryan...re: 8 eggs question. The answer is, it depends on breed. For bantams, one egg every 2-3 days is a high average. She was VERY GENEROUS, since she laid her very first pullet egg 15 June. She then skipped a week, laying second egg 22 June. She laid 1 every 4 days until 4 July weekend. I'm SURE of this, since she was penned until then. After the 4th, I let them free range. So from 5th to my post, she laid the 9 she ended up with under her, plus the 8 she gave me. :-)

Now, as to my pecan tree question, we determined it is an insect pest munching the pecans. All the shed ones have gnaw marks on the stem end. This is a mature tree, with the lowest branches at 30 feet and crown at 50 feet. After comparing notes with a volunteer at work we knew nature would take it's course. I could see a tent caterpillar nest up top, however, the tree is strong, healthy, not dropping leaves, no droopy branches and good strong color. Since the tree isn't stressed--and I'm trying to maintain property as organic--we decided not to intervene with chemicals or pesticides.

Today, we got another TORRENTIAL rain here. Approximately 4 1/2 inches in 45 minutes. When I stepped out the door to do evening feed, I found THIS!!!

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »
I have no idea what it is, other than the obvious HONKING BIG CATERPILLAR. Since I put it in the jar, it has oozed a protective liquid that has a very strong scent I recognize...maybe crushed pine needles? I don't want to offer it to the chickens, since it might be a protected species. I hope I can find out what it is!! Any ideas? I'll try to keep it hidden (and alive) until I can get to the county extension on Tuesday.

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2016, 08:29:52 PM »
Never mind!! I searched "largest caterpillar in North America" and the first result was this:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/bfly/regal_moth.htm

It answered all my questions! Now, the caterpillar has been released to pupate. :-). The funny thing is, a couple of weeks ago at the gas station I took a picture of an adult of the Regal moth, but I'd completely forgotten until I saw this webpage. I cannot attach photos from my phone's memory, only click and post, so I'll have to post the adult photos another day.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 06:54:33 PM »
Glad you found the culprit , were you able to move the nest out of the tree ? Wonder if there is a natural product or something that will deter them from " making home" in your pecan tree ?

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »
Yes its August in Texas!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »
Lol :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 09:33:54 PM »
HA !
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2016, 07:56:34 PM »
We have actually had Sunshine ( yes you read correct) the last 3 days.......  18 degrees Celsius :)

Thought of ten million things that i haven't been able to do due to the weather and my coccyx and stupidly over did it and doing so, aggravated my coccyx (or the injection has worn off)  :'(

Its been 5 weeks since I had the steroid injection into the coccyx and surrounding tissue and ive been feeling really good though. Back to the surgeon next Monday , so i guess Ill know what the plan is moving forward then........

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2016, 08:07:17 PM »
I'll be happy to share some more sunshine with you Ryan.  All we seem to have is torrential rains and sunshine -- sometimes at the same time.  A clear blue sky and torrential rains going on.  Quite the trip!

Keep us posted on your coccyx issue.  I was hoping it would heal quickly for you so you could start your riding again.  So praying hard for a good report!   ;pray ;pray

Offline Ryan

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
Thanks Diane , me too :)