Author Topic: Hows the weather ?  (Read 10512 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Hows the weather ?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 01:01:29 AM »
Fingers crossed for continued sunshine Chanda :)

Im with you there , not a fan of painting at all.   We just finished putting the first stain onto the front fence and it looks great though it will most likely need another coat when the weather improves.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 01:04:05 AM »
Fingers crossed for continued sunshine Chanda :)

Im with you there , not a fan of painting at all.   We just finished putting the first stain onto the front fence and it looks great though it will most likely need another coat when the weather improves.
Parts of the west side barely looks like it has one coat, so it definitely needs the second coat.  The afternoon Sun sure gave it a beating.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 09:54:03 PM »
How do those of you in humid areas handle it?  We usually have a dry heat, which is bad enough; but we've had rain for a week and then the temps jumped 10+ degrees today.  It's just miserable out there for me, I can't handle humidity.   The animals seem to be taking it better than I am.   I was supposed to stain the house today, but it was just humid, there is no way it would have dried.   So, I got practically nothing done today.  [I did dishes and picked up 4 bags of shavings.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 01:44:45 AM »
Im at the bottom of Australia so our hotter conditions are dry most of the time. Carly on the other hand is up in the tropical north of the country so Im guessing there is alot more rain during the summer months there.

For me, I try to keep the house as cool as possible by keeping all the windows and curtains closed throughout the day. We just have the one small air conditioner downstairs so I sleep downstairs when the temps are in the high 30 degrees Celsius during the night. Thats the part of summer I dislike the most , the hot nights, cant stand them.

Regarding my Kids, In the Very hot conditions , ill usually move them out of their yards and out the back to they can hang out under the Cyprus trees. Im very lucky as I can dash home if ever required to check on them. Last year the bush fire got a little too close to home for my liking, we had Ariel water bombers taking water from nearby dams and lakes. As i got closer to home My heart skipped a beat into overdrive as I could see the smoke. Never want to experience that again. When i get home first thing I usually do is hose the minis down and then scrape the excess water off.  I also at times add gatorade or powerade into their water.

I have plenty of days like that Chanda, Plan to accomplish so much but the heat puts a stop to it.   ;)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »
It's the humidity I hate in Florida. The heat is bad eno9ugh, but the humidity is killer!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 02:49:58 PM »
Warm enough, but not so humid today, got another gallon of stain put on the house today, so the west side is almost complete (just a little short on the porch).   West side of the house has an addition, so "longer" than the other sides of the house.   That's 3 gallons done; the other 3 sides of the house shouldn't take as much stain to complete.    Last year took me somewhere around a dozen gallons of stain to do the first coat all around; raw wood siding sucks up a lot of stain.   Have 3 more gallons already purchased, but will likely need another gallon or two to complete the job.   Then, I will need some paint for the white trim around the doors.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 08:48:27 PM »
Sounds like its all coming together Chanda.

Do you get much heat relief of a nighttime ?

Was supposed to be 18 and sunny here today but as soon as I placed a hay order for delivery , the heavens opened  :o

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »
Sounds like its all coming together Chanda.

Do you get much heat relief of a nighttime ?

Was supposed to be 18 and sunny here today but as soon as I placed a hay order for delivery , the heavens opened  :o

Usually we do get some relief at night.  I'm nearly on the Canadian border, so not as hot as many states in summer; but I do get some ugly cold winters.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 03:24:43 PM »
Trying to finish up the last gallon I have, but dragging my feet this afternoon, it's hot out there.   I'll need to buy more to finish the last side of the house.   Just a half gallon to go today on the north side of the house, so I'm in the shade; but it's all on the ladder, as I have to do the peak at that end of the house.  Takes forever to do a little bit with all the ladder climbing and moving.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 03:54:29 PM »
I missed this one when it started - probably when we were having some issues with power during a series of heat/storms here, too.

Ryan - I'm so glad that you and the furr kids are OK.  While it's a PITA to deal with "moved" buildings or broken ones, it's so much easier than with yourselves or the furr kids...

Lets see - with the heat itself hitting 102*f and the heat indexes as high as 120*, we've been miserable.  Yet, when I've watched the news - nothing being said about heat issues!!  It's a trip.  This is the first year that I've had such a problem with the heat - but suspect part of it is I'm soooo out of shape and have/had actually gained extra weight too, since Christmas (instead of losing it like I was supposed to).  :(  .  The other day, at 6 am, it was already 85* with the humidity almost 100 %.  15 minutes after tottering down our back steps I was bent double and seeing stars w/o being able to get a breath.  It was more than a little scary and I was then worried about all the ponies!!

2 weeks ago, somewhere too close, there was a lightning strike that came all the way down our wires and fried our modem.  Took a week to get that repaired and I've been worried ever since - they didn't replace all the wiring!!  We've had many power fluctuations and then one major power outage - with hours w/o power (I was so glad I've been keeping the ponies tanks filled - even if not always clean enough right now to classify as pretty - w/ no power - we have no water).  The storm last Thursday night took our neighbor's roof off his barn and indoor arena, dropped several trees on another neighbors chain link fence and privacy fence (he and his wife are nudists - they got that fence back up PDQ  ;D ;D ;D).  A third neighbor had damage - but I don't know what type/how much - he doesn't talk to me and no one else has said.  Trees were down on the roads - I didn't notice since I wasn't going anywhere, but daughter and hubby let me know.

Thankfully, we'd had little physical damage, but did have one down tree w/o damage to anything.  Plenty of branches down - we are working on getting them all picked up - the rain did nothing to cool the temps/humidity down so it is a major job all by itself, LOL.

The ponies are mostly doing OK in this heat/humidity except for Kechi...  I'm doing a write up on her separately.  I have had a few that have had the weight "melt" right off of them the last two weeks - right along with the high heat/humidity we've had. Others are rather round and during the hot parts of the day they are standing under the trees and sweating and looking miserable.

Right now, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to paint or stain anything.  The humidity doesn't allow stuff to dry and then every couple of days we are having lightning storms with rain, too.  with the heat/humidity - don't think I could do a ladder to pain anything, LOL.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 08:20:34 PM »
No humidity is no friend to paint drying.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »
Hey everybody....*imagine hand-held palmetto fan listlessly flopping a greeting here*

I live about 40 miles south-eastish of Paula. My place is in a bit of a hollow and sorta backs up to swampland. As above, we've had temps at 95+ and humidity at 80+ for the last two weeks. EVERYTHING outside gets done here before 11 or after 7, except for water refills around two-ish.

No one gets more than a two gallon bucket of water in front of them, except on my two work days. I'm finding that slimes/molds and mosquito larvae sprout within hours!! *Eeeewwww!!* I'm sure everyone (Spanky, three dogs, cat, and 20 chickens) appreciates fresh water with added electrolytes every 4-5 hours. Even with this humidity, everyone is looking good and staying frisky and alert.

My 20 chickens include:

One white-crested black Polish rooster about 14 months old. Ten twelve-week old Polish in the following colors and sexes; six buff-laced that I think are 3 pullets and 3 cockerels, two silver-laced cockerels :-(  , one Tolbunt pullet (fingers crossed) and one REALLY NICE white-crested splash pullet.

Two ten-week old Japanese bantam, pullet and cockerel.

Two twelve-week old Campine (critical list Heritage breed) pullet and cockerel.

Bantam pullet and cockerel, about 7 months old. The little hen, Gretchen, started laying about a month ago. A couple weeks back, they were allowed to start free-ranging. I THOUGHT she was laying every  2-3 days. Imagine my amazement when I found her with a clutch of EIGHT eggs yesterday!! She'd laid them in a large dog crate that I had bedded in shavings, and used when I separated flocks or penned birds in while cleaning. So now I have a broody hen in this heat and humidity, setting a a great, huge PLASTIC crate. Is she going to cook to death????? Is it possible to relocate her after dark, like  I do when integrating flocks or moving them?

I don't want to take her clutch, since she's so generously shared this last month. On the other hand, I also don't want to lose her to the heat.

Gotta run for now, I've still got one outdoor chore to finish. I'll try to post Chickie Piccies this evening. ;-)
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 02:30:39 PM »
First pic is Chauncy, black-breasted bantam and Gretchen's partner. (BTW, Carly, I've had MY Gretchen since May!)

Second pic is one of my golden Campine's.

Third is Gretchen on her nest. I moved her, crate and all, to a shadier spot (for now) that gets a bit of breeze. Put electrolyte water and feed in with her.

Fourth pic is the other Campine, and my two wild children...the Japanese bantams. You'll have to look closely to spot them in the undergrowth.

Fifth pic is the juvenile Polish flock, and the last is the adult a Polish. These are currently in the portable run while we re-work permanent housing.

I forgot to mention in my last post....the storm Paula talks about....came through here too. Took several large trees down over intersections in town as well as knocking out power to about 400. We're still on a temporary power pole, but didn't lose power. We DID however, lose the entire temporary chicken coop, and 1/2 the roofing over the travel trailer. The wind just peeled it off like an orange rind! My husband was much more willing to listen to my suggestions about using roofing screws, and many of them, the second time around.  >:D  We were able to salvage all of the roofing but two pieces. The coop was just pallets tied together with a tarp roof, so not much invested there either. Fortunately, all chickies roost in crates with perches and were all safe and dry. Spanky's hoop stall is on the downwind side of the house from most of our weather, so he didn't notice anything.

Lunch is over, so back to bleach scrubbing the trailer!!

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
 :I :o ???
Well, not sure which photo uploaded, so y'all get to guess! Phone battery overheated while I was outside, so you get what you get for now. This new phone doesn't have (or do) things that my old one did and I'm still learning it's quirks.  :P

Will try again later to post pictures.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »
Well, sounds like you have your hands full, too!!  This heat is horrid, and I can't imagine it up north. Never really happened when I lived there, but it is one of the things I hate about Florida.  The heat is one thing, but the humidity is killer!!

Love all the stories you just told, and looking forward to more!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'