Author Topic: trimming hooves?  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: trimming hooves?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 09:23:02 PM »
I agree chanda , i also have a mini , my smallest 28" and he is very much "horse " to look at rather than pony characteristics.

Che is lovely , I really hope Baybe is carrying a foal from him :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 09:35:24 PM »
I agree chanda , i also have a mini , my smallest 28" and he is very much "horse " to look at rather than pony characteristics.

Che is lovely , I really hope Baybe is carrying a foal from him :)

Thank you.
 I hope so too.  If Baybe comes up open from when I thought he covered her, I can still hand breed her this summer as planned, and hope for next year.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 09:14:12 PM »
Chanda - how many acres do you run?  Do you own or lease?  Just curious!

Che` is such a good looking little guy. 
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »
Chanda - how many acres do you run?  Do you own or lease?  Just curious!

Che` is such a good looking little guy.

We run cattle, so there are plenty acres for the cows, but I have access to only around 2 acres for the minis, as the rest is fenced for cattle (barbed wire) and too far from the corrals for me to be comfortable using it for the minis with the coyotes around.   I have let the geldings out in the bull's winter pasture during the summer when the bulls are on summer pasture with the cows, but it's like 20 acres so hard to get the minis back in from, so I prefer to keep them closer in smaller temporary pastures.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »
I think I've finally gotten on top of Bonny's seedy toe or white line disease (which ever it is).  I've chased it around all four hooves, some getting it worse than others.   Just a couple small spots left to grow out.  Finally.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
That's awesome and congratulations.  I've seen some serious changes in all hooves with the wonky weather this past several years (maybe 5 yrs in total, just seems like the abnormal is becoming normal).  The ones' we've had continuously since 2009 have been most noticeable. 

Having an issue now with the "newest" mare (who is currently the 2nd oldest on our property).  She is actually shedding her soles and w/ the sand packing into her hooves (normally considered a good thing w/ everyone else, but it literally mounds up like a tennis ball is strapped to the bottom of her hoof) she keeps going lame.  Even our farrier is at a loss as to why it won't knock out on it's own - seems worse in the left fore than the right.  When this sore, she doesn't move around as much as she should, which doesn't help.  She has not had a bounding pulse or heat in hooves or in pasterns.  We are also thinking she may be starting (or continuing?) changes that may be due to Cushings or other age related metabolic changes.  We shall see.  Will be having her tested, may be sooner rather than later. 

Have seen a lot of changes on this new property & now, 2 months after all the wet, rainy weather with Hurricane Matthew we are seeing some more.  Will be trimming the hooves on the boys in 2 weeks - they had a wetter pasture than some of the others as water flowed thru it...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC