Author Topic: trimming hooves?  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
trimming hooves?
« on: July 03, 2016, 11:02:39 PM »
Anyone else trim their own minis? 
I've had to trim them myself the last 4 years, since the last decent farrier left.   Previously, I had done a bit of supervised trimming and such, but until I was without a farrier I hadn't done it exclusively.   Did a lot of watching over the previous 20 years, a few trims here and there with the saddle horses; but have found around here that most of the farriers can't trim a mini to save their soul; they leave them unbalanced and wonky and charged $40/head to do it, I can do that good of job for free.  [After the last good farrier left, I did try a couple other farriers, and they were fine with the saddle horses, but what a crap job they did on the minis.]     I know I still have more to learn, and have a couple horses with minor issues, but we are getting there.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: trimming hooves?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 08:23:59 AM »
I had a great farrier for a long time, who then moved away.  He was a godsend when I had 45 of them here, and it took him 2-3 days to get every one done.  But he left every one in perfect condition, and even did the babies each time he came, so they would get used to it.

When I sold off most of my stock because of the "crash", he moved away, and I couldn't find anyone who would even come for just a few horses, and the two that did were horrid.  So, yes, I trimmed my own, but, honestly, never enjoyed doing it.  Couldn't understand how anyone would make it their full time job!  The heat was horrid to work in here in Florida, and I found my hands were not strong enough to do more than 2 a day and do a good job.  But, eventually, I got good results.  But trimming never became my forte, or very enjoyable.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 08:27:20 AM »
I've always done my saddle horses myself( i agree never enjoyed it!) I tried to do sugars when I got her and she FREAKED. I called in the farrier and it even took him like an hour to get it done. Said that he doesn't think she'd ever been trimmed abd that hers were just warn good. I've been working really hard with her hooves so she gets more comfortable with it. Let's me do all the rasp work now without panicking so hopefully I can do hers myself one day too. But OH MY does that hurt my back more than the saddle horses haha even working with syrup with haltering and leading I'm like oh man the bending right over because they're tiny haha

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 10:24:36 AM »
It definitely takes finesse to do their hooves.  Pretty much impossible to put their leg between yours, so you have to hold it and nip one handed.  Glad I only have one tiny, 2 medium and the rest tall mini.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 12:53:25 AM »
I wish I still had the pics of the "stand" that the folks built when they leased our stallion.  They could sit on a high stool type seat and comfortably trim the little horses. 

The only way to describe it is like a goat milking "stanchion".  It had a ramp on the back, then they closed a gate to keep horse from backing back down.  Then could cross tie them in it or straight tie - there was a gate in front of them as well.  There had to have been a ramp on the front as well - but I don't remember it...  Our stallion, at 45" tall, was the largest one they used it for - most of their shetlands were in the 38 - 40" range in height.

It was built out of 4x4s & 2x4s.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:57:51 AM »
That sounds like a great thing. I think I should have tried to build something like that years ago. Don't know why I never thought of it.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
I tried building a stand, but as it was all wood, the rails in a safe place for the horses got in the way of trimming the hooves, plus I think I built it too tall.  I use it for storage now; I stack shavings bags on it, garbage gets put on it (tall enough to keep the dogs out), feed the cats on it (tall enough to keep skunks away).   The ramp I had built has been torn apart and the lumber repurposed.   I'll see if I can find a picture.  Closest I could find was a front corner with Jasper tied to it, worked great to tie to on the ground for other stuff.

Trimmed two horses today.  Got Topper done, his hooves are easy in that they are normal and have a great shape, he's not easy as he's a bit nervous about it (better for me than he was for the farrier).   Got Bonny done, we've been battling white line or seedy toe or something of that nature for a couple years; just when I think we have it licked it moves to a new hoof, but I think we are finally about there and almost looking normal again.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 05:10:06 PM »
Id love to do my own, cause its quite expensive and i generally have to book well in advance.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »
Id love to do my own, cause its quite expensive and i generally have to book well in advance.

I do it out of necessity.  I can find someone to do the saddle horses, thank goodness, cause I can't get through their hooves; but I can't find anyone that can trim minis decently, they leave them cock-eyed and unbalanced...  I can do that for free (I'm better than that).
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »
Ive only one large horse, but only two farriers i trust and unfortunately noon else at my livery yard uses them because they go for the cheapr one, who has cripppled many a horse (including the ones on the yard....but money always talks)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 07:48:46 PM »
Ive only one large horse, but only two farriers i trust and unfortunately noon else at my livery yard uses them because they go for the cheapr one, who has cripppled many a horse (including the ones on the yard....but money always talks)
Unfortunately, that is often the case.   In one regard, I'm lucky I live so far out, those cheap ass horseshoers don't like to drive this far for their meager fees.  [The guy I do have trim the saddle horses is decent, but as they are just pasture puffs, it's not as imperative they be perfect.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 11:32:05 PM »
Whew!  Trimmed the saddle horses yesterday, I'm broke at the moment, so did it myself, and they are pretty chipped up, so not a whole lot to trim right now (I just trimmed up the flares, so not a pretty job, but an effective job).
Trimmed Dolly today, she's getting worse about her hooves, if that's possible, she's always been a stinker, but it's getting worse.  I think before her next due date, I'll get a tube of Dormosedan Gel and give that a try and see if it helps her behave better.   Took me nearly 2 hours to trim her because she was being such a stinker; usually I can do a horse in about half an hour.  She basically throws a temper tantrum, and they are getting worse.  She does have one bad foot, one heel rolls under, I'm trying to get it under control and back to normal, but it's about impossible when she acts like such a sh...    Will talk to both vets and see which one is more willing to prescribe without seeing her first; both have seen her previously, so probably the one that saw her this year for vaccination will be more likely.   Stink pot.
Three more to trim in the next week or so, that need frequent trims; and three that need their normal cycle trims.   
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 04:33:15 PM »
When my son cant do my ponies I do them myself. My son isnt a farrier but was trained by the best one I ever had, sadly he is gone now. I am by no means an expert but I feel they are better than some of the farriers around.

live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 05:10:15 PM »
When my son cant do my ponies I do them myself. My son isnt a farrier but was trained by the best one I ever had, sadly he is gone now. I am by no means an expert but I feel they are better than some of the farriers around.

I've been doing my own for the last 4 years, the last competent farrier moved away, and while I can find someone to do the saddle horses decently, I haven't been able to find someone that can do a decent job on the minis, they've left them crooked, unbalanced, high heeled, long toed, etc, well, I can do better than that and it doesn't cost me $40.   I do have someone do my saddle horses, cause I have a hard time getting then nippers through their tough hooves.   It might take me longer to make corrections when needed, but at least I don't leave them worse off than when I started.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
When I lost my best ever farrier, about a year before I sold most of my horses because of the "crash", I was trying to do my own, but sadly couldn't do more than a couple at a time.  I could never do the job of my farrier, and tried to get a couple to come do mine, but they were worse that I was at doing them.  Very sad.  Balancing a mini is not like doing the quarter horses around here, and could never get anyone to do a really good job.

Great farriers are sooooo hard to come by.  KUDOS to those that do their own -- I discovered I was really too old to do all that "hand" work, and with a couple their hooves were so hard, I had to enlist one of my sons to help -- and he was NO pleasure to work with.  Hated the horses and hated being asked to help with them.  LOL