Author Topic: trimming hooves?  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: trimming hooves?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »
I have thought about trying to do my own as it costs me a small fortune come farrier day. My two Tbs are trimmed every 4 weeks and the minis are done every second visit.

I would be too worried Id trim them back to far and would lead to problems, so I would rather let the expert do mine. I live very much in "Suburbia" so getting my farrier here is not problem and there isn't a shortage a farriers around.

If I lived far out , Im sure Id be inclined to do my own, id charge myself a lot less , thats for sure :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:28 PM »
I have thought about trying to do my own as it costs me a small fortune come farrier day. My two Tbs are trimmed every 4 weeks and the minis are done every second visit.

I would be too worried Id trim them back to far and would lead to problems, so I would rather let the expert do mine. I live very much in "Suburbia" so getting my farrier here is not problem and there isn't a shortage a farriers around.

If I lived far out , Im sure Id be inclined to do my own, id charge myself a lot less , thats for sure :)

If I could find a farrier that would come out here, that could trim his way out of a paper bag, I'd be happy to pay.  And, pay I did with that last good farrier that left 4 years ago.  He came every 4 weeks (one mare needed 4 week trims, the rest were good on 8), did a minimum of 4 horses (charged for 4 regardless, but as I have plenty, it's easy to rotate 4 through the cycle).  He also did a little chiropractic work (very good at it) and dental (not so good, at least not on the minis, only ever did one and he still needed to see the dentist in a few months time).
I learned a lot while that good farrier was here, plus about 20 years of watching before that with occasional trims myself due to circumstance; but I didn't start trimming on a regular basis til after he left and I had no choice.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 09:35:07 PM »
When I lost my best ever farrier, about a year before I sold most of my horses because of the "crash", I was trying to do my own, but sadly couldn't do more than a couple at a time.  I could never do the job of my farrier, and tried to get a couple to come do mine, but they were worse that I was at doing them.  Very sad.  Balancing a mini is not like doing the quarter horses around here, and could never get anyone to do a really good job.
I typically only do 1-3 per day, depending on which horses and the schedule, more than that and I'm shot.   My only other choice is to not have them, so I suck it up and trim myself.  30 years with horses, 20 watching before I ever trimmed my own, trims here and there when scheduling wasn't working; and doing it myself for the minis the last 4 years.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 08:41:25 AM »
I usually work on one a day... Precious hooves are out of whack so those need the most attention. legacy is next!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 05:29:50 PM »
Four done today.
Did Showy this morning, her hooves are a wreck, but I think I might be getting them back towards normal.
Did Che`, Baybe and Tilly this afternoon; all were quite well behaved.   
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 07:58:56 PM »
I wish I had nippers that were easier to hold. I have the most trouble maneuvering the long handles.
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »
I know this is about trimming hooves, and Frank Lupton, who is quite recognized for his work with AMHA, the breeding and showing of miniature for many decades, and his work as a farrier, wrote a fabulous article on trimming miniatures.  I was sneaking around and noticed this on the old website, but it is an open article to the public, so thought I would post it here for everyone.  It is "right on" as far as balancing a miniature for good movement.

https://www.americanfarriers.com/articles/879-trimming-minis-is-no-small-deal

I can't post, but I have managed to find a way to "see"
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 09:05:08 PM »
So glad you posted this article. I am currently working the high heel issue down on Precious. I've only had one farrier here drop the heels on minis.
live barn camera link:

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 01:11:52 AM »
The article was posted on a couple of the mini groups on FB, too.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 01:14:17 AM »
I wish I had nippers that were easier to hold. I have the most trouble maneuvering the long handles.

I have a set of 10" nippers that I'm not sure where I got them, they aren't nail nippers like some use, but actual shorter hoof nippers; these work well for my normal minis and I don't have too much trouble with the handles.   
And, I have a pair of 12" Diamond nippers, F-12 is on them if I remember correctly; these are a bit more awkward to hold/use, but work better for the saddle horses when I do them, and the minis with problem hooves.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »
Finally had good enough weather to catch up the last of my December trims, so the geldings and Spotty got trims today.  Spotty was quite good for how little he's been handled.
Will get to Baybe, Che` and Tilly tomorrow, they are 10 days over due.  And, then a couple girls the day after that.  Then, I'll be caught up except for the saddle horses; which I may have to do myself if the farrier doesn't return my call.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
Here's praying he returns your call, it's so cold, and those hooves are so hard compared to the little ones -- although I did have a couple here that I could barely nip through.

Just for your comfort, I'm hoping he returns your call and gets out there to do it for you.

~~Diane
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
Here's praying he returns your call, it's so cold, and those hooves are so hard compared to the little ones -- although I did have a couple here that I could barely nip through.

Just for your comfort, I'm hoping he returns your call and gets out there to do it for you.

~~Diane
That would definitely be easier, although, he's only a part-time farrier, so by the time he's done with one horse he's really huffing and puffing (his real job is with the railroad).
Got Baybe, Tilly and Che` trimmed today.  Can't really call Che`s a trim, and he just needed some rasping.  He has the cutest little hooves.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 08:04:36 PM »
Your description of Che made me smile!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 09:18:07 PM »
Your description of Che made me smile!

He is my smallest and everything about him is just so cute.  He's 31" tall, around 175# and looks like a horse in miniature to me, nothing "pony" like about him.  [People always say there is a difference between pony build and horse build.]

First picture is my favorite of him, second is next to our cattle working tub (shows how small he is).
Chanda
HC Minis