Author Topic: Movies for a Rainy Day  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Ryan

Movies for a Rainy Day
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:32:24 PM »
Ok People what are we all watching at the moment ?

All time fav movies, TV shows , series ect.

Ive just started the current season of Game of thrones, for those that haven't seen this show, I highly recommend it.

Its so wet here at the moment , so If anyone has any recommendations , Id greatly appreciate them :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Movies for a Rainy Day
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »
Well, I'm a Stephen King fan, so my favorite TV series was the TV show based on Stephen King's book "Who Killed The Colorado Kid" -- that was called "HAVEN".  I loved it, but it was ended in December last year.

As to favorite movies, one of mine was based on a short story, again written by Stephen King, called "STAND BY ME".  Great movie.  I also loved the kid's movie, GOONIES. Truly enjoyable and good for a wet afternoon.

I'm a fan of the new show, Autopsy, too

Then for light watching, I love the Discovery Channels and the National Geographic channel -- and love the TV show "TOO CUTE" -- which is great fun and just plain relaxing.  I also enjoy all the murder and detective shows that seem to be out, about real life cases. 

And I love those home repair shows:  Flip or Flop and Fixer Upper.

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 07:40:26 PM »
I loved the Goonies , I remember watching that as a kid :)

Ill check the others out , they sound good :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:56:38 PM »
Do not like Stephen King, and if I had known the Green Mile was written by him, I never would have watched the movie; but I'm glad I didn't know, because it's an excellent movie, we've watched it several times.  Not into horror, but whatever genre The Green Mile is consider, guess I can handle that.

The Goonies was good.

Flip or Flop and Fixer Upper are both quite good.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:14:42 PM »
Yes, sometimes I think Stephen King gets a bum wrap!  Most of his books are not really "horror", but rather "mind twisting" or like something you really don't think about happening suddenly happening.  The movie Stand By Me from the short story about the boys is one like that.  Really good story line, with deep considerations of the boys lives, etc.  I bet you'd really like that one, Chanda.

Stephen King came to my office several years ago when I was running a federally subsidized Community/Migrant Health Center.  He wrote a book called, "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" which was about one of the kids in our high school (Tom Gordon) in Avon Park, FL (where my kids all went to school), who became a major league baseball player.  Tom Gordon married a girl that worked for me, and he wanted to come to our small "city/town" to get the feel of things in the small community.  Everyone who worked for me knew I LOVED Stephen King, and they all surprised me, and had him show up in my office doorway!  OMG!  Nearly had a stroke!! (Thank goodness I was young then -- it'd probably kill me now -- LOL) I talked with him and Tabitha, his wife, for several hours -- even have a picture of him with me that I treasure.  I sent someone to my house to get my part of my book collection, and he was kind enough to autograph several of his books for me, and one for each of my children by name.

The week after that wonderful day, was when he was in that horrid auto accident and nearly died.

But, I do treasure my time with him. He's from Maine, and I'm from the Adirondacks in NY, and we just seemed to be able to talk about so many things about the northern mountains, and I knew many of the places he talked about, as I'd camped there for many years.  He's not the least bit strange in person at all -- no matter how they make him out to be.  He's just a really gifted writer with a mind that never seems to shut down.  Was a wonderful experience for me!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:26:22 PM »
WOW what an honor to meet Steven king , I would of nearly had a stroke too :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 10:42:27 PM »
I don't know if I could read his books, but the mind twisting type of tale without gore/horror I can usually handle in movies. 
I've only seen parts of Stand by Me, so watch it start to finish sometime.
He does have some doozies, though, such as IT, which is a bit of a mind bender, but also horror. 
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 11:57:08 PM »
"IT" I remember it well. I watched it as a kid and couldnt go near a plug hole for weeks :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 05:37:50 AM »
Yes, "IT" was something! I remember watching it with my kids when they were younger -- my kids grew up on Stephen King movies -- and no one really liked clowns after that!  LOL

No one ever had nightmares though.  They all used to watch for the tell-tale signs of an upcoming death.  I remember my son saying that if you saw a girl's chest, she was the next to die!  It almost became a game to see if they could predict who was going to die next.

I never liked the gore movies...no chainsaw massacre or the likes here, no Freddy, or Chuckie either.  Not into watching the hack-em-up movies.  But a good Stephen King....absolutely yes! 

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »
There was another tv series that was based on the Steven King short story...  The star (guy) whose name I can't remember, had bright blue eyes.  AH, Dead Zone was the name of the program.

Wow, Diane, What an honor!!!

now...  movies -

I'm currently watching the Marvel Comics - Agents of Shield.  NetFlix has 3 seasons on and I'm into the 2nd season.

LOVED Fixer Upper!!!  Watched some of the other "fix it" home shows after and ick, can't seem to find another that really holds my interest or that I like.

Dark Matter just started (I think that's what it's called?).  My hubby really likes it, but I can't get into it, either.  Wish they'd come up with a horse movie again that isn't too "cheesy", LOL.

Im just about finished watching the CSI-Miami - 10 seasons.  That was a favorite, I loved it when it was on and even better when can watch the shows in succession.  Never finished CSI, have to watch it sometime.  Understand it had a twist when it went off air???

Like NCIS and NCIS-LA as well.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 04:47:32 PM »
Loved the Dead Zone.   Anthony Michael Hall played the lead; he was the geek in 16 candles, Weird Science, and I think at least one other, and then he was in Johnny Be Good.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 09:24:07 PM »
Yes, I'd forgotten about Dead Zone.  And I, too, LOVED the CSI series -- I bought the whole series on VHR -- since that what it came in when it started.

I also like the show "Once Upon A Time", but I think it would be hard to start in the middle.  Much better if you could watch it from the beginning of the series.  But, it's good non-sensible fun to watch.  Just good to clear the brain with!

I think it was Cassie who also liked it when it first started.