Author Topic: Total heatbreak.  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Total heatbreak.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »
Yeah you would think they would be as big as a house :)

We had this problem back in 2008 , bad drought here lead to horrific hay prices for a couple of years.

Now we seem to be in the same boat once again.

We have had plenty of rain in the last few months , but my fingers are crossed that we get some good rains at the start of Nov so people can get a second cutting in.

And Ryan needs to FINALLY section off the back 5 acres so that he can get someone into slash and bale so it will cut his own hay costs right down, for this time next year :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 09:48:12 PM »
Well, you'll have to have a discussion with "Ryan" and see if you can't impress upon him the need for that!

Let us know how that goes!!  LOL
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 09:49:57 PM »
Will do LOL :)

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 09:54:32 PM »
Haha if Ryan gets in gear and gets that done it would sure help with hay costs! Lol

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »
We are currently paying $230-$260 per round bale at the moment here. And for small square bales...................... $20-$25 :(

Dear god, I will never complain again!  I thought ...$50 for a round bale was a lot...  and since some of these bales are much smaller than I used to get, they don't last nearly as long, either.

But what are the sizes/weights of the bales you are talking about and also what currency do you use in AU? 

Harmony Meadows - I hear ya.  I know how hard it can be to make it during a drought!  When we moved, we have more fenced land for the ponies - but the pasture grass wasn't a type to support the ponies.  Getting it planted in better, perennial grasses that will grow ib dry conditions is a priority, LOL.

I have nothing to add to the other suggestions for hay/stretching and I'm not familiar with goats yet (hoping to get sone in the next year or so)...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Ryan

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »
The rounds are the big ones and are either Rye/Oaten hay or i think you can get Lucerne/ Alfalfa, though they are a little more expensive again.

They have been as cheap as $50. A few years ago, I managed to get a couple at that price as Id just moved into our property and only had a few small paddocks fenced.

The Small Bales Im paying around $20-$25 for are grass and clover.

When I had Ponies as a kid I could get good quality Alfalfa bales for around $7, these days they are around $25 .

Im happy to say though, I maybe living off 2 min noodles this time of the year but my four legged friends have full stomachs :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »
Wow, I can't believe what some pay for hay. 
We raise most our own hay, since we have cattle, but I buy some small rounds for one barn for the little horses.  I get small squares of grass for $90-120/ton, they are about 70# bales, so that's about $3-4/bale.   
Large rounds, go for about the same price per ton; our rounds are about 1200-1300#/bale, so that's about $60-70/bale, maybe more or less depending on the ton price and the size of the bales, some rounds are only 800# (our homegrowns are quite large and dense).
If I paid what others do for hay, I might be lucky to have one mini, rather than a dozen plus two saddle horses.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »
What are your pastures sewn with Chanda ?

When we brought the farm in 2007 it was an old market garden that used to grow veggies for one of the biggest supermarkets in Australia.  So the entire place was in raised beds.

We ended up sewing in what i was told was a "cattle Blend". I know it has rye, lucerne in it but not sure what else was in it.

As soon as the weather pick up here, Im putting in more paddocks out the back and will leave 2 Big ones at the back of the property so I can slash and bale them for next winter.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 01:08:16 AM »
We have some native prairie pasture, mostly prairie grasses.  Then the improved pastures have Crested Wheatgrass, Alfalfa and some Brome grass.  I think the hay strip around the grain field out back is a type of rye, but can't remember for certain.  And, any of it is a bit too rich for the minis, so I limit their grazing time.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline HarmonyMeadows

• Harmony Meadows Family Farm
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 07:32:20 PM »
We got a tiny bit of rain, so that is good. Still not nearly enough, but it will make sure my goats get fed for the winter. We will find some. We may have to haul in hay but we will do what we need to. Also looking at other feed options like beet pulp, hay pellets and cubes, hay stretcher and ratio balancers. No matter what the horses will be fed. We have a fridge full of pork and chicken and will be picking up some veg from the farmers market and hopefully growing a few planters of things like beans and carrots to freeze for winter. We are definitely in a better place than some but still, added stress we don't need when we were finally at a place to get some big projects done, like fencing rebuilds and auto waterers. Oh well, next year!
A work in progress!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »
Well, at least you have a good attitude, and that's the most positive thing you could do to help get through it all.

We'll still pray for rain for you.  I'd love to share some of the rain we get here in Florida -- we're in our rainy season now, and it's pretty constant.  I'd love to pass some along to someone!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 08:18:13 PM »
Sending Rain your way HarmonyMeadows :)

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 08:30:19 AM »
Finally rained all night here :) and is still raining! Maybe it will stay awhile and the crops will get a drink.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »
That is so good to hear!!  I've been praying hard for you.  Prayer does work, and I love when there is confirmation!

And, as a second benefit to me, we have only gotten sprinkles yesterday and today so far -- so just LOVELY!!

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 12:31:44 PM »
Prayers sure do work :) and that's great!