Author Topic: Silver Plate White Lightning 2017 Foaling Hopefuls  (Read 4112 times)

Offline HarmonyMeadows

• Harmony Meadows Family Farm
Re: Silver Plate White Lightning 2017 Foaling Hopefuls
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »
Well the vet just left and it looks like only one foal for 2017.

Skye (O'Henry's War Bonnet) is at least 5 months in foal. We are expecting a baby between mid May and early July. Skye is a chestnut pinto so baby will be palomino, with or without spotting. I will be sending her AMHA papers in to do her DNA test so I might have them add on testing for spotting patterns. Because she is chestnut, we know she will have a palomino. Very exciting! A tad disappointed that Poe and Aurora did not catch but it's all good. Poor boy need a nice pair of platform shoes I think!  ;)
A work in progress!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 05:19:33 PM »
Are the girls maidens that didn't take?  I know some of my experienced mares would actually squat down when I put them to a small stallion.

You might try standing the ladies in a kind of hole, so they are lower than him, and put him up on the edge so he has a good shot this season!  Keep us posted, and we're happy to be watching another one!

And, did she ultrasound the girls?  I can't tell you how many foals have been born after a vet says "not pregnant".  I'm sure others can say the same.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline HarmonyMeadows

• Harmony Meadows Family Farm
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »
Both mares have had foals before. My 40 inch mare is still young and rather a slut so with her I am kind of surprised. But she wasn't very cooperative and she didn't go in until later so baby could still be small. We will recheck in Feb and see if we can see anything then. Might draw blood if not.
Poe is 17 herself so she may just not be an easy mare to settle. Not too sure. I MAY try to hand breed her next year so I can be certain she is bred and see if she catches. But no rush really. I think their baby would be amazing but I am not going to lose my mind over it.
We had bloodwork done on Lightning. He is a really hard keeper and I am not sure why. Yes, he is an older stallion but it seems he has a much harder time keeping weight than he should. He isn't bad and I keep on top of things but I am still wondering if maybe there might not be something going on we can't see. He is also 20 years old. Not old, old but he could be slowing down a bit and so breeding the bigger mares may just be too much trouble for him. Time will tell.
Either way, we have a Skye baby coming. I can't wait!!
A work in progress!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 04:49:30 PM »
We had bloodwork done on Lightning. He is a really hard keeper and I am not sure why. Yes, he is an older stallion but it seems he has a much harder time keeping weight than he should. He isn't bad and I keep on top of things but I am still wondering if maybe there might not be something going on we can't see. He is also 20 years old. Not old, old but he could be slowing down a bit and so breeding the bigger mares may just be too much trouble for him. Time will tell.
Either way, we have a Skye baby coming. I can't wait!!
My senior stallion is somewhere around 20, and I'm thinking around Lightning's size.  Che` is 31" and 175# (give or take 5#): he eats 1.5-175# senior daily and free choice grass hay, when he gets picky about the senior I add 1/2# alfalfa pellets to his diet.    A few years ago he had some teeth problems, so had to be on some chopped hay and senior only for awhile, while we figured out the issue; tiny mouth so hard to get it figured out; found a slab fractured tooth and a bad ramp, once those were taken care of and he recovered, we haven't really looked back (he gets picky, so I've had to try a few different brands of feed, and at the moment we've landed on an extruded senior that he seems to like, it'll take more time to see how he does on it, he's getting about the same amount as the previous senior).
Ok, I started rambling.  Lightning's hard keeper status could just be he's a stallion (some are just hard keepers, they think about their girls year round), could be he needs to be on more senior feed than hay, could be he'd prefer or needs a different type of hay (if you feed mostly grass hay, then perhaps a bit more alfalfa in his diet would help), might need to try a few different feeds before you land on what that he thrives on (unfortunately, sometimes that happens, and the whole herd cant' be on the same feed).   Since, he's seen a vet, you've probably ruled out sand in his gut; or parasites.  [The phone rang, so I've lost my train of thought.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 06:29:17 PM »
I had some of the "pacing boys" that had trouble with weight, too, over the years.  Those I fed UltiumĀ® Growth Horse Formula -- which is loaded with vitamins, Selenium and about 15.5% protein.  That with the Alfalfa I fed, seemed to help keep the weight on them during breeding season when they were fence running.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
Happy for your one foal coming!
I also understand the problem with smaller  stallion bigger mares,  ( riot was 11.3 Kate 13.2) and in the beginning we used a hole to breed, eventually Riot learned and was able to cover mares at 14.-14.2 hh successfully.
Legacy is also a wee bit harder keeper. He likes to keep all his girls rounded up in the same area and currently he has 4 acres to work them on. He kind of reminds me of a cattle dog, LOL.  He is also so busy making sure they are all bred, that he doesnt graze near as much as he should, and spends most of his grazing time resting or watching over the girls.  I have found a solution, stalling at night. The girls are all in stalls and he gets the hallway. That way he can watch over them all, but still gets his own ration, which he eats up really well during the night. He gets morning ration before hey head out for the day.

live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 07:30:48 PM »
Good plan, Holly!!

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 11:18:15 AM »
That's too bad on Poe, for my own selfish interest. I don't think 17 is too old to be successfully breeding and carrying a foal to term. Is she one that perhaps it was too early to tell on? (Just read the thread, got interrupted, then couldn't remember breeding dates.)

Feel free to share any pictures, and let us know how you're passing this crazy weather winter.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 06:13:59 PM »
I bred mares successfully into their 20's, as long as they stayed in good condition, and the foal(s) didn't bring them down.  Heck, 17 is just their "prime" !!  LOL

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »
O, can't wait to see the one foal you know your having.  Excited to hear the results of the US in February, too.

One of my original mares was 15 when she had her first foal (we got her w/ him at her side) and TERRIBLE to get bred w/ him at her side.  But eventually she seemed to accept being bred while nursing a foal - she had 5 daughters by our Shetland stallion & 1 1/2 arab by an arabian stallion.  Her last foal came in 2004 - she was 21 and our Shetland stallion was 12 yrs.

Another mare, born in 1981, had her last foal also in 2004 - she was 23.

Bell was born in 92, had Classy in 2012 at 20 yrs of age.  May be bred for 2017 (1 cover).  If she foals, she will be 25 yrs old the following month.  At this time, I can't tell if she's in foal or not. 

Our 1st shetland stallion was 20 when he bred his last mare, 1 month before he was euthanized. 
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
Just checking in to see if your foaling line-up has changed. Are you still anticipating just the one, or have the others started making you second guess the vets prognosis?
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!