Author Topic: Hi Everyone, took in a mini tonight....  (Read 2842 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Hi Everyone, took in a mini tonight....
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »
That sounds just awesome!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »
Love the name  ;D

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »
Have you named your little chestnut girl or have I missed it?

I do love the names of the BLM burros!  Those are great and they are looking good.  You have quite the menagerie going!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Suebe

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 11:03:37 AM »
 ^-^ thank you!
Thw first two pics are her back left hoof. It obviously looks so much better because she was walking on the side of this hoof when I got her. Farrier says all her hooves are clubbed and seems to have some type of deformity. He agreed with all of you that most likely while in utero her dam had very poor nutrition and it definitely didn't get better after she was born. I also know they did not give her any hoof care. The third pic is her front left. What do you think is going on here? Last night I tried to get a little more bute down her. She was standing in the pen rotate lifting each foot off the ground for a few seconds at a time. I don't know if she did this before as the couple of times I saw her prior to them letting her go, she was standing doing nothing since birth so no real exercise. Now at my house she's walking at a better angle and is turned out into a huge pasture all day but is all this causing her to be uncomfortable and will get better with time and should be expected? She's never had grain so it's almost impossible to get the bute down her. She doesn't understand what it is and rolls it around in her mouth not really liking it. Maybe a pea size drop of Banimine instead? But to give you an idea how these idiots didn't break her spirit to still love humans , when she sees any of us she stops whatever she's doing to come say hi and get lots of love and rubs. Any suggestions you might have as to what I should be doing that I'm not please advise. We named her Quinn and she's catching on quick :)

Offline Suebe

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 11:08:14 AM »
These are four pics from last Friday morning BEFORE the farrier got to our ranch. Along wth her very first trim she really needed her very first bath, was a success and I actually don't think she hated it :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 11:09:59 AM »
I've only ever had bute tablets, that I crush, mix with applesauce and syringe in like paste dewormer.  [I use 1/4-1/2 tab depending on the size of the mini.]   And, we keep injectable banamine on hand, and just use that orally (just syringe, no needle, and it tastes horrible); I believe it's 1ml/100#BW.

Her discomfort is probably a combination of the trimming and more exercise because she is more balanced so feeling better, and probably overdoing it a bit.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »
I've always used Banamine injectable, but never injected it.  I draw it up in a syringe too (and Chanda's dosage is correct) and then take off the needle and squirt in the mouth.  With all the mucous membranes in the mouth, it goes to work VERY fast. But she's right, it tastes awful.  My vet preferred to use it that way, and told me about vet students when he went to school that used to take it orally themselves instead of ibuprofen or other pain relievers!  Goodness!

I'm sure everything is so new to her and she's over-doing a bit, as Chanda said.  But, as she gains strength with you, I'm praying for a great turn around for her!

Again, thank you for saving this wonderful little "gem".
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'