Author Topic: Hi Everyone, took in a mini tonight....  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Hi Everyone, took in a mini tonight....
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 01:57:41 AM »
Yes, it's certainly "do-able".  Let's hope not for her sake.  It would be so much better for her to have you get her in better shape, and get the love and care she deserves, and we know you will give her!

Oh I agree! That's way to young and she's really tiny and not in the best condition. They said she was 1 1/2 years old but that's impossible. She either just turned one or is soon, or is turning two or close to it. If she were 1 1/2 that would put her being born smack in the middle of winter and honestly I don't know about you but I've never had a mini in heat in mid winter here in Southern California. Hoping for a one year old because then I highly doubt she'd be pregnant

I have a friend here in Montana that bought a November born mini.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »
Sorry to burst a bubble, but we've had many Oct, Nov, Dec babies - from small Shetland size up to full size riding horse w/o being under lights or in barns/stalls - in snow country MT, in CO and here in NC (remember the filly I just had born the day after Christmas & we purposely bred an Arab mare in November 07 hoping to get a baby close to Oct 1st, 08 for our daughter's Bday.  That mare WAS preg maiden and the colt was born Oct 17 and due to circumstances, the daughter he was meant for was the first to find him when she foaled in the pasture after being turned outside for a while, but I was called to a friends' for help with one of their horses). 

Most breeding/stud farms that I'm familiar with separate weanlings by sex no later than 6 months because, yes, both can produce (impregnate and get pregnant).  I was caught by surprise last week - with everything going on this year, I hadn't paid attention to the fact that our late 2015 colt, Riddler, was 9 months old...  Till I caught him with a full erection, mounting a mare in the pasture.  The other stallion drove him off at that point and I caught & pulled him out and he's now weaned in a paddock in the boy's pasture.  Later today and tomorrow, I plan on turning him out in the boy's paddock for a few hours to play and run, but he will be in the pen at night (for now).  He will be about 14 months old when he is scheduled for castration (unless I do it before then - but the vet school likes me to bring these little guys up for their students and I LOVE having no cost castrations, even if it's a different student removing each testicle).  Now I also need to keep an eye on his 1/2 sister - Blitzen, the filly born the day after Christmas - as she's now 5 1/2 months old and I wonder...  UGH!  In the past, we've usually weaned babies between 4-6 months old and then kept the colts separate from the fillies/mares.  Next week, I will be pulling Blitzen out of the pasture and weaning her - to make sure that if she does come into season, the mature stallion running with those mares doesn't breed her.  I meant to pull that stallion out before the 1st of June, now it will be a bit later...

I really hope for your filly's sake (& your peace of mind) that she isn't in foal, but if she is you have her at a great time to get everything in order and get her in good shape with your care.  We are here for help if you need it. 

I came from a ranch background that routinely bred 2 yr old fillies.  Some of those, due to time of year actually born themselves, were much younger than a "true" 2 yrs old...  Even here in NC, there was a Paso farm (can't remember if they were Peruvians or Finos) that bred their 2 yr old fillies first and then trained them under saddle while they were pregnant.  They were then trained to ride when their foals arrived - some of those girls seemed soooo small/tiny (under 13 hh - way too small for me to ride!) when I rode along with the vet to do ultrasounds at the farm.  How they did things at that farm was fascinating!  We ultra sounded 15 fillies one time - I seem to recall several being not pregnant.  The farm also used that as a determination on who to sell and/or at what prices...  The ones not in foal were biopsied right then to see if something was wrong, then all of the open fillies were sold.

Her hooves will come around to some extent.  I know that my farrier would want to do her every two weeks for a while - so that only a little done at a time to prevent her from being too sore and to promote growth. 

I look forward to hearing what you've named her - she's a real cutie (& I don't normally like "red" horses).
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Suebe

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »
Yes I do know about keeping them under lights to keep them in season longer. I imagine people do get those winter babes. I personally have never had a mare in heat past late September or a stallion that looks interested that late in season. I guess it's possible but probably not real common in Southern Cali. the farrier was here yesterday and wow huge difference already! She's not walking on her ankle anymore. He said all four hooves are clubbed with other deformities. I'm super impressed though I'll put a few picks up today. He didn't trim her too short at all but she was laying down more yesterday for the few hours after her trim. I think because she'd never walked at a semi normal angle maybe since birth and I imagine she was a little uncomfortable, seems fine today! Swinging her head back and forth and prancing around. Nothing like some good food and a trim to get ya going lol if I take pics of her teeth are there any aging experts out there? :D

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 06:56:23 PM »
Oh, this all sounds sensational!  So glad to hear he was able to help her, and it sounds like she's doing well -- if not a bit uncomfortable learning to walk the correct way!

I'd say go ahead and post the pictures and someone on here will certainly have some input for you!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 07:52:44 PM »
Well, we may not be experts, but we are happy to take a stab at it.
Please take straight on pics, side pic and if you can table (chewing surface) pics.   Probably can do a pretty good job guesstimating age with just the straight on and side pics, since she is supposed to be young.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Suebe

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 02:21:16 AM »
So by this afternoon she had started lifting one back leg then the other when she was standing still. Felt so bad for her, being so uncomfortable, I tried to get a little bute down her with a supplement but she's very picky probably because she's only ever been fed this really nasty brown "hay" that honestly I wouldn't let my horses touch. Was truly disgusting! She did eat a little of it. Do you all think she will get use to these "new feet" so sad! These pics of her teeth are awful I know Lol! Let me know if I need better ones.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »
I'll have to dig out my book, as I can't remember all the details, but she's quite young with those corner incisors not fully in contact.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 10:25:32 AM »
Started looking for mine, too.  Young for sure!  Gotta' find that book!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 12:11:14 PM »
I love the Iam site.  So many good things posted there.  I'll have to contact her again, to see if we can post some of her information here.  She was very gracious to let me use some of the pictures from her site in our dystocia article.

So, I'm guessing that maybe 1-1/2 year old age looks about right, based on the pictures!  What do you think, Chanda?  I'm no teeth expert at all. 

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 12:58:57 PM »
I love the Iam site.  So many good things posted there.  I'll have to contact her again, to see if we can post some of her information here.  She was very gracious to let me use some of the pictures from her site in our dystocia article.

So, I'm guessing that maybe 1-1/2 year old age looks about right, based on the pictures!  What do you think, Chanda?  I'm no teeth expert at all.

I'm no expert either, but that's about what I was thinking.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Suebe

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 02:35:24 AM »
Thanks for the help! So she's at least around the age they said, that's good. She fit so cute into my small mini herd, there's 5 of them and then the 2 donkeys. Turned her out in the pasture with them this afternoon and she ran and pranced around so cute. Was so awesome to watch her run like that knowing she'd never done it before.  Im so obsessed with her, she's so sweet it's unbelievable! I'm really happy her prior life didn't effect her trust for people. She wasn't lifting her legs like yesterday, getting use to those new feet. You can tell in that one pic that she's standing more normal now and yes that my baby donk who at 9 weeks is almost the size of mom lol

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 05:42:37 AM »
That's great news (and pictures) and I can't believe your little donkey has grown so much!!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 11:22:58 PM »
Im so happy she is starting to feel a little better on her new feet. You may find that she will go a little sore after seeing the farrier for her next few visits, especially whilst he is corrective trimming .  Sounds like she has found the perfect home with you :)

I Cannot beleive how much your donkey has grown already , what name did you decide on ?

Offline Suebe

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »
Im so happy she is starting to feel a little better on her new feet. You may find that she will go a little sore after seeing the farrier for her next few visits, especially whilst he is corrective trimming .  Sounds like she has found the perfect home with you :)

I Cannot beleive how much your donkey has grown already , what name did you decide on ?

Well hahaha! Keep in mind I have teenagers Lol! The mom (burro) came pregnant from the BLM with the name "Becky" so of course my daughter immediately started calling her "Becky G" who you might know is a "pop star" lol so of course when our little donkey Jack popped out he was named "Bucky G" on the spot hahahha! It really does fit him though and both he and his mom are literal pocket donkeys. You can't even clean their pen cause they have to stand against you at all times. I never imagined how friendly these animals are its mind blowing!