Author Topic: Hi Everyone, took in a mini tonight....  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Suebe

Hi Everyone, took in a mini tonight....
« on: June 15, 2016, 03:16:38 AM »
There was a little mini about a year and a half they tell me needing a caring home. She was born at this house, no one had done anything with her other then after weaning stick her in a stall with a mini Jack not gelded ugh. Hopefully she was too young to have responded to him?! She was extremely pathetic and broke my heart at first sight. She seems to have clubby feet and a pretty good twist to one of her legs. I have no experience with dwarfy mini's but wondering if she looks like she could be slightly dwarfy especially since all her hooves look a bit strange and she's pretty tiny but doesn't look super odd like some can. Any thoughts or info appreciated. Farrier is coming out Friday. Surprisingly she's not extremely long. But does need TLC for sure. So sweet after not being handled for the most part. I'm going to add photos below. Thanks in advance!

Offline Renée

Re: Hi Everyone, took in a mini tonight....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 03:38:30 AM »
I am glad she found you and will now get the love and attention that she deserves. I look forward to seeing pics of her.  :D

Offline Suebe

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 03:49:47 AM »
Thank you, having trouble loading my pics...The back right hoof is twisted and strangly shaped, she walks almost on the side of it. I'll get better pics tomorrow, we just got her here, it's late and I really wanted to make her comfy and give her a good meal. The front right definitely looks clubbed. Thoughts please than you!

Offline Suebe

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 03:54:37 AM »
Here's one more of the front

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 04:52:28 AM »
Aw she's a sweet thing.

I would attribute the twist and the shape of the hooves to either no hoof care and lack of nutrition or someone doing it themselves and making an absolute mess of it. This could take a few visits to correct maybe remedial farriery. I don't think she's dwarfy

Offline Suebe

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 05:06:04 AM »
she was definitely born with these hooves, a girl that helps on this particular ranch and not friends with the people just offers help to them said she was here at the time of her birth and she was definitly born with these hooves. That at birth she stood on the side of her hoif/ankle and that big indents could be seen on both the front and back right

Offline Renée

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 05:09:39 AM »
I agree, I don't see any dwarf traits and I don’t see anything that the farrier can’t try and fix over time. I had a foal born similar a few years back. She sure is a sweetheart.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 05:16:18 AM »
I would also say not a dwarf, don't see the characteristics, but if indeed, if just stuck in a stall with no care and little exercise as she was growing, I'd say the foot and leg problems are related to that, poor nutrition, and thank goodness, she's with you now!!!  The farrier should be able to help, but I'm sure it will take time!

How sad !!  Keep us posted on her.  She looks like a sweetheart!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Suebe

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 05:22:24 AM »
thanks good to know there's a chance we can maybe reverse some of the damage. That one back leg gives you the chills when she steps, it doesn't seem like she's very uncomfortable but it bows out when she put stepping pressure on it and looks like her ankles about to pop sideways. I'll see what the farrier says on Friday

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 05:28:39 AM »
Some come out like that but again it's usually due to poor nutrition in the womb and lack of immediate farriery. Hopefully it will correct with care and exercise. I'd try and get some calcium in her.

Also has this sweet thing got a name yet???

Offline Suebe

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 07:15:31 AM »
No they said they never named her, she's such a little heartbreaker, so sweet, we'll have to come up with a good name for her. You all don't think that Jack could have gotten her pregnant if she's only a year and a half do you?

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 07:35:26 AM »
Yes, it's certainly "do-able".  Let's hope not for her sake.  It would be so much better for her to have you get her in better shape, and get the love and care she deserves, and we know you will give her!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »
Bless you for taking her on.
 I don't see dwarf, either, just neglected hooves that weren't taken care of properly.  It may or may not be fixable due to her age, but a good farrier should be able to make improvements with time.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 12:14:44 AM »
Shes lovely Sue, good on you for taking her on board to show her some loving :)

I agree with Chanda , I think you will see some improvement in time, your farrier may want to trim her a little more frequently to promote the correct hoof angles and to also promote good hoof growth.

Cant wait to hear what name you choose for her

All the best :)

Offline Suebe

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 12:45:11 AM »
Yes, it's certainly "do-able".  Let's hope not for her sake.  It would be so much better for her to have you get her in better shape, and get the love and care she deserves, and we know you will give her!

Oh I agree! That's way to young and she's really tiny and not in the best condition. They said she was 1 1/2 years old but that's impossible. She either just turned one or is soon, or is turning two or close to it. If she were 1 1/2 that would put her being born smack in the middle of winter and honestly I don't know about you but I've never had a mini in heat in mid winter here in Southern California. Hoping for a one year old because then I highly doubt she'd be pregnant