Author Topic: Grace 2016 Foal  (Read 21514 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Re: Grace 2016 Foal
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2016, 06:18:04 PM »
Charm just looks huge all over. Lol

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
Ok so she gets 6 lbs of soaked alfalfa pellets ( weighed before soaking) the balance, which is a ration balancer per her weight, and I am giving her 1500 lb dose as she is bred, plus 1/2-3/4 bale of hay daily...I can add in a scoop of "grain" on top of the balance, but cant increase it more. The question is what Grain to add? I could add a mix of oats chopped corn blend. I can start to add it to her ration slowly, dont want her to colic.
her topline seems prominent, but no ribs showing and a good layer over them.
Just seems she is melting from the top...
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2016, 07:25:50 PM »
OMGosh, I just opened a new bag of "alfalfa" pellets and I think I figured out the problem! They are NOT alfalfa, they are alfalfa/ burmuda....  My Bad!
live barn camera link:

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2016, 08:33:44 PM »
She is just a beautiful colour! What does the sire she was bred to look like again ? I can't wait to see what her foal looks  like!   

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2016, 08:39:52 PM »
OMGosh, I just opened a new bag of "alfalfa" pellets and I think I figured out the problem! They are NOT alfalfa, they are alfalfa/ burmuda....  My Bad!
That could explain it, the blend would have lower protein than straight alfalfa.   It takes protein to build the topline.
Mine are getting a blend, but then, mine are usually somewhat easy keepers (and to simplify my life they'll be changed over to a mix of complete pellet and alfalfa pellet, so I don't have to try to track down grass pellets any more, not available locally). 
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2016, 09:38:06 PM »

Yes, lower in the protein, so glad you were able to figure it out!!  I'd try the alfalfa, and see if that doesn't solve her topline a bit.

I can hardly wait to see this little one!!!  You need to post a picture of that handsome daddy for everyone to see.  That is/was one handsome boy!!!  (Did you sell him? or geld him? -- I can't remember....DUH!)
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2016, 03:18:55 PM »
I sold him! He has gone on to produce more welsh & 1/2 welsh foals.

Here He is, Heritage Halls Hy Priority, aka Riot, Sec A welsh Mountain pony

live barn camera link:

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2016, 10:08:08 PM »
Oh he's really handsome ! Almost looks like a toy horse in that picture because of how great he looks! Should be a pretty foal :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
Thank you...  :D

So today is day 300 or 338.
Graces udder is up, Vulva relaxing more but not red. Tummy still wide and low.
had some soft poo in the stall. T storms and flooding so she is stalled. Poor Ponies...
live barn camera link:

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »
She is looking good to me. 

I just loved Riot.  I wish, when you mentioned him to me, I could have done something - but it just wasn't able to work out.  Plus I really didn't want a bay stallion - BIG GRIN.  I have bays, I LOVE bays - I just didn't want a bay stallion (can't give any other reason, 'cuz there isn't one).  AND it sounds like you got him a great breeding home - in the Welsh world which I wouldn't have been able to do o much (a proven welsh stallion might have worked, but that's uncertain.  I know of two Welsh stallions well proven in both the Welsh show rings and the open H/J show rings that haven't been able to get the breedings here.  Both went to different states - and then were getting mares again, LOL).

I've been in a bit of a dither w/ things going on here...  Didn't realize TX was getting more rain!  Our middle daughter woke me up @ 1 am this morn to fuss about the forecast on Sat June 4th - rain.  Her wedding is supposed to be outside at our local State Park...  While I'm praying for rain in general - I want to pray for NO RAIN on the 4th of June...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »
Okay, we'll pray for NO RAIN on the 4th of June.  I'll be happy to take all the rain on my birthday, on the 6th!!  To me, it's better than the Florida heat!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2016, 05:25:22 PM »
Yes its raining AGAIN, 6 + inches in the past 24 hrs, we are living on the center of a lake right now, Graces stall floor is damp AGAIN. She looks to have cow patties too, so when the weather gives me a break I am headed down to check her and try to clean her stall. Going to have to do another major cleanout when this rain stops...AGAIN
live barn camera link:

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »
Hopefully your rain stops soon! Keep us posted on grace!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »
Soft poo coupled with not much eating today.knowint her mom didn't develop much of an udder both times they foaled her, I feel like I may not get an opportunity to me ok test so I am starting to watch her closer
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2016, 10:48:13 PM »
I think there's a race between you and Chanda!  All these ladies are moving ahead quickly!!   ;pray ;pray ;pray