Author Topic: Grace 2016 Foal  (Read 21461 times)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Re: Grace 2016 Foal
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2016, 09:27:11 PM »
Ok Need yalls thoughts...
Grace is either 332 or 294 days....
In the past few days Ive noticed her tail head was really starting to soften.
her vulva seems semi elongated and udder hasnt changed much. She is a maiden... so no clue really on what she will do... But I am a bit anxious wondering if I should be watching her closer, because of the difference in her tail head and her tummy has dropped more too....

live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2016, 10:39:28 PM »
I would be watching her closely, as I'm thinking she's more in the "going to foal within the month" range -- so leaning more towards the 332 side.  I'm never concerned about udders, it's always a pleasant surprise to me when they grow them for the first time, which gives us a sign the 2nd year that we can go by.  But these maidens are so tricky, you just can't count on them for reading the book AT ALL!!

Especially, if you're noticing other signs, I'd be careful and start watching her more for any new changes.  Is baby lining up?  She still looks pretty "full", but we know how quickly that can change with some good rolling.  Have you noticed any change in her pH? I know you test milk, and just wondering if there has been a change in that at all?

Keep us posted.  I think she's got some time to go, but she is moving ahead, that's for sure!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2016, 10:42:44 PM »
She's been laying down sternal, and very interested in her own tummy!  If she was a dog, I'd say she was grooming herself!  LOL

Nice and round, and no suspicious cow patties, but looking very good!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2016, 01:16:45 AM »
Thank you! I talked to my friends that own her mother. They said her mom never gets a big udder, not much more than what Grace has now. And that she never showed much in the way of signs or foaling. So I have decided to start watching her til midnight, then have friend that will take over early when she wakes up. I appreciate all eyes! Maidens can be so sneaky!!
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2016, 07:09:31 AM »
Once Renée is back on line tomorrow, she's in Italy, and generally is able to watch most of 'our' night, because of the time change. And she loves watching!

I'm up and down all night, sleeping only about 3 hours, so I'll be checking on her, too!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2016, 10:16:05 AM »
Thanks so much.... this will be my last riot foal!
live barn camera link:

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
Day 333 or 295

hard to tell from pictures but udder is a bit bigger.
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
Yes, less wrinkles!!  So, I know they say 4-6 weeks from start of udder development to foaling, but that never worked for me very well.  The longest time for me was a "short" 4 weeks, and she's been moving ahead steadily, so maybe just a couple of weeks or so.  You'll have to keep us updated on the behaviors we can't see on the cam, or might miss, but this is getting very exciting now, especially since we know her dam didn't get much of an udder at all!! 

Come on Gracie!!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2016, 04:23:50 PM »
Its been difficult with Grace for a while now, with her passing mucus plug a month ago, having udder development for several months... I just dont know what to expect! Crazy Mares!! Her udder was up a bit more so I put her out to get some exercise. I expect it to be down when I put her in tonight. She just doesnt want to leave her stall... but she needs to move and roll.
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2016, 09:51:42 PM »
Just standing quietly, swishing her tail!! 

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2016, 11:15:38 PM »
Tail head looser udder same...
live barn camera link:

Offline Renée

« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2016, 03:39:00 AM »
Hi Holly, I am back online and as Diane says I love to watch the girls during the night. Right now it is 2.30 am and all is quiet.
I agree about not relying on a maiden's udder, there are other signs that are more reliable. Tail head loosening, hooha elongating and shape of tummy are better signs to watch for.
Take a pic of her hooha (just move her tail to one side gently as to not cause her to tense up.) and then again in a few days. Once you put the photos side by side it makes it much easier to compare.
This is getting exciting  ;D

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2016, 10:20:08 AM »
She looks about the same this morning... reluctant to go out to graze , but she went... I am watching her from house as she moves about pasture...
I still feel like we are close to the 296 date, and feel like we have about  a month left...
I appreciate very much your watching her Renee. I am doing 12 midnight checks before I head to bed...
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2016, 11:57:07 AM »
We'll hope you're right, but as we've all said, these maidens can be very tricky, and it pays to watch carefully!  She nice and large, and quite round, so baby not ready yet, but you just never know!!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »
I totally agree!
I made her go outside today and she stood at her stall door most of the day. Grazed maybe 2 hrs total of 8 hrs. So shes back in.
 udder no different, she rolled in the mud so brushed her out and going to invest in more fly spray tomorrow...
Poor girl is just miserable!
live barn camera link: