Author Topic: HC Minis 2020 line-up...  (Read 8241 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: HC Minis 2020 line-up...
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2020, 02:38:20 PM »
Ok, used a foaling date calculator, and from earliest turn out she is 313 days.  From the day I saw Topper pursuing her she is only 306 days.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2020, 05:49:50 PM »
Congratulations! She is so cute! Sounds like a busy and exciting night! Just out of curiosity, does Bonny usually foal earlier then others or not?
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »
Congratulations! She is so cute! Sounds like a busy and exciting night! Just out of curiosity, does Bonny usually foal earlier then others or not?
I can't really remember, as I've only hand bred once, and now pasture bred twice, I can't be sure of her last foaling timing.  Just know this one is that 313 at most due to when I turned out.   I'll see if I have her days in the notebook from her hand covering... 324 days on her hand breeding year (somewhere between 317-338 days the year she was pasture bred, based on turn-out and pull dates).   This one would be shorter than both previous.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2020, 10:38:50 PM »
Well, she is a cutie!
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2020, 08:41:22 AM »
The pics are well worth the wait.  What a little cutie she is to be sure!!  I like your name choice and haven't thought of anything else, but I'll keep after it.   She is so upright and pretty!!!!  Wonderful!

And Elizabeth, we could use some new pictures of your growing little ones!

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
Nothing but wind since she came, sometimes strong sometimes just our normal breeze, so in the barn she stays.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2020, 05:24:32 PM »
Still windy and even stormy weather, so I shut Tana in the barn aisle last night, but she did nothing but eat and poop all night long.  Still so very windy, so letting baby bond with mom for now.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2020, 09:51:15 AM »
Tana is thinner than she should be, it's something I've been working on, our hay quality doesn't help (we raise our own, but weather conditions the last few years did a number on hay quality).  Anyway, I can't be sure the bag she has is new and growing or old and residual (it's a bit firm in some areas).  I went out to check her this morning, and she was winking at me; I know some mares show signs of heat during pregnancy, especially later part when hormones are out of whack, but I'm not sure what to think this year.
   Bonny's little girl is doing fine.  Only concern for me, t haven't seen her laying down, yet.  I know it sometimes takes a little time for them to figure out how to get up and down.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Anna

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2020, 02:34:52 AM »
Hi all, sorry for the lack of posting but life got in the way somewhat, as it does at times, but all calm now.
So sorry to read about Sophia's baby, but many congratulations on the new little filly. Hope the weather lets you turn her out soon Chanda. Love the pictures she is such a pretty little cutie.
Diane, so sorry I missed your birthday - hope you managed to have an enjoyable day under the present circumstances. xx

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »
Chanda, please accept my apologies on my late condolences for the loss of your filly.  I hope you and Sophia are both recovering strongly.  For horses, it seems just a wee bit easier than for us because they live more on the moment.

My reason for waiting actually had to do with a question that I knew my cause hurt, so I delayed in asking.  I saw in your calving thread that you'd been losing some calves to early births.  Do you have any theories as to whether or not this might be related?  Any chance that the changes in the quality of your hay (due to drought, etc.) may have contributed at all? 

Though I'm not a breeder myself, I'm always extremely interested in breeding in all it's aspects.  Just in case I ever should have the opportunity, I like to be aware of all involved.  Additionally, it might help others in similar situations to take into consideration things they might not have normally.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2020, 04:50:08 PM »
Chanda, please accept my apologies on my late condolences for the loss of your filly.  I hope you and Sophia are both recovering strongly.  For horses, it seems just a wee bit easier than for us because they live more on the moment.

My reason for waiting actually had to do with a question that I knew my cause hurt, so I delayed in asking.  I saw in your calving thread that you'd been losing some calves to early births.  Do you have any theories as to whether or not this might be related?  Any chance that the changes in the quality of your hay (due to drought, etc.) may have contributed at all? 

Though I'm not a breeder myself, I'm always extremely interested in breeding in all it's aspects.  Just in case I ever should have the opportunity, I like to be aware of all involved.  Additionally, it might help others in similar situations to take into consideration things they might not have normally.
We did send in one calf for necropsy, that calf only showed septicemia, mineral levels were fine (we tested at least selenium).  I do not recall if we tested for common cattle diseases, but we vaccinate for the most common issues breeding cattle have.   Vet suspects low protein in the diet, we don't supplement our cattle excessively, mostly just their forage and trace mineral salt.   I tested one batch of hay for the horse to balance that, it was 9% protein, fine for maintenance, but would be low for late gestation; all of our hay is probably similar, so low protein as a culprit makes sense.   The horses are supplemented more than the cows, so probably helped them some; may have been the hay as an issue for Sophia, or just plain bad luck, she is doing quite well; she goes out to pasture with the 4 years that initially hated her, along with her 2 year old daughter, and the three of them graze much of the day.   The other 4 mares don't leave the drylot, so I leave hay out for them.
Bonny is getting plenty to eat: lots of the hay we have, a serving of Standlee Timothy compressed hay (at least for now, it's expensive, and this batch isn't as good as previous bales I've bought), senior feed in the morning, and hay pellets in the afternoon.  She's just starting to get outside with baby; it's been windy or rainy all week, so I've not let them out much.   I need to get more pics of baby, especially while she is outside, so ya'll can see how long her legs are.  :o
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2020, 09:34:08 AM »
Tana had a colt this morning, silver bay I'm pretty sure, may or may not have her dun.  Cute little blaze like marking on his face.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2020, 10:15:51 AM »
Ok, I forgot I had my camera when I went back, til after I blanketed.  But, here are a couple pics of the little boy.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »
YEAH!!!!!!  Another beautiful baby from that girl!  She has such pretty babies!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  Give the daddy a good pat on the rear!  He did a great job!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2020, 01:37:27 PM »
He might actually be a bit taller, since he's a bit down on his pasterns, but this baby is 24" tall.
Thank you.
Chanda
HC Minis