Author Topic: spring 2020 check-in...  (Read 5024 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: spring 2020 check-in...
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2020, 08:50:52 AM »
I guess I'm fortunate to be "old" since our grocery stores have "senior hours" at 7 am Tuesday &  Wednesday.  You have to be 65+ years old, and if you go on Tuesday (which I do if I need something) they have stocked the store with almost everything available.  Florida being a retirement state there are lots of us oldies.  Even in this little town I live in, it's nice to go and find most of what you're looking for.  I did have to go to 2 stores to find eggs to hardboil for the Easter baskets, and had to get to the one store after 11 am when the truck was to arrive with 2 palettes of eggs , but "masked up" to be safe.

Prices seem pretty much the same as usual - a bit higher, but not drastic yet.  Gas is $1.679 per gallon and has been for weeks.  I finally filled up since I'm delivering Easter Baskets to grandchildren houses today.  Hoping to see my son Tommy's kids and maybe watch them swim a bit, but NO contact.  I miss them so much.  I have to deliver the basket to son Ben's house, because baby Ryan (age 3) will be with him for the weekend, and if he sees me he runs with his arms out, yells "mama" and almost knocks me over, so I have to go BEFORE he gets to Ben's house.  We'll do a face-time so I can get my "fix". 

Then it's back home to TY, grant writing and reading.  Got the Disney+ which has some GREAT documentaries that I love on nature and animals, so I've been enjoying those.  Far cry from the psychotic murder mysteries and Steven King that I love and read so much, but I love nature and animals, so it seems a good blend.

I hope you can get your garden done, Ryan.  My snap peas are yummy and I have enough tomatoes for the neighborhood when they get ripe.  Summer squash are about 2-3 inches long, and still blooming more, as are the zucchini.  Sweet corn is about 2+ feet high, radishes growing like the weeds they are, and watermelon coming along.

I don't envy all you had to do, Chanda, to get things settled and groceries purchased.  Be safe.  How is the calving season coming along?  Looking forward to some pics when you can.

Hopefully we're headed back to some type of normalcy soon.  I'm ready for this to be over, as I'm sure everyone is.  BE SAFE!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2020, 08:56:39 AM »
My daughter, Katy, sent me this, and I guess she posted it on Facebook (but you know I don't do facebook - LOL)

Saw this on a friend from college?s page...while it talks about Wilson county, TN...this can apply to Any county, USA!

Read through... she said, "I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ❤️ THIS!!!" and I totally agree with her!!

Wilson County schools have been out for over four weeks and if we go back April 27th, we would be out for eight weeks. If they cancel the rest of the school year, students would miss 2.5 months of education. Many people are concerned about students falling behind because of this. Yes, they may fall behind when it comes to classroom education...

But what if...

What if instead of falling ?behind", this group of kids are ADVANCED because of this? Hear me out.

What if they have more empathy, they enjoy family connection, they can be more creative and entertain themselves, they love to read, they love to express themselves in writing.

What if they enjoy the simple things, like their own backyard and sitting near a window in the quiet.

What if they notice the birds and the dates the different flowers emerge, and the calming renewal of a gentle rain shower?

What if this generation are the ones to learn to cook, organize their space, do their laundry, and keep a well run home?

What if they learn to stretch a dollar and to live with less?

What if they learn to plan shopping trips and meals at home.

What if they learn the value of eating together as a family and finding the good to share in the small delights of the everyday?

What if they are the ones to place great value on our teachers and educational professionals, librarians, public servants and the previously invisible essential support workers like truck drivers, grocers, cashiers, custodians, logistics, and health care workers and their supporting staff, just to name a few of the millions taking care of us right now while we are sheltered in place?

What if among these children, a great leader emerges who had the benefit of a slower pace and a simpler life to truly learn what really matters in this life?

What if they are AHEAD?
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
That is brilliant.
And, really most aren't falling too behind on their studies, as most school are doing on-line distance learning/classes of some sort to try to help them stay up to date on classroom work.   
And, there is always summer school, if this doesn't settle down quick enough.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2020, 02:52:11 PM »
Late last week, or early this week, I can't remember which, I called the county road office to see if they could/would help us with our washed out driveway; asked if they could at least come evaluate it and let us know what needs to be done.
The county boss came out today, and talked to Shayne, and it sounds like they might be able to fix our driveway before the main county road gets fixed.  The creek at the main road is still running quite a bit of water, so that is delaying their repair work; hard to lay in a new culvert with running water.     Our creek has slowed down to more normal spring flow, so might not be too hard for them to fix up in a day or two, maybe.
Due to the main county road wash-out, we haven't had mail delivery in like two weeks, possibly longer, I can't remember; my inlaws grabbed our mail one day, and dropped it in our mailbox; but that was over a week ago.  [We can get to the PO, but it's an extra 40 miles one-way to take the other road through the next county.  Which is why the PO is not delivery, they do not veer off regular route.]    Today, the post master at the PO in the next county, PMd me, and suggested I have our mail sent over to her office, and I can pick up there; so I called our PO today, and it's supposed to happen.  I'll call first thing in the  morning, and if it got transferred, I'll run up and get it before they close (short hours on Saturday).
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »
Now that sounds like a plan, and that someone out there is thinking of a way to help you.

Hope it works out for you, and they can also get your driveway/road fixed sooner rather than later.  ~~Diane

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2020, 10:50:23 PM »
#9 turkey breast is a ton of turkey for two people.  It was bone in, so there was some waste, but that's ok, and it was so good.   Just basic fixings to go with it.
I ate way too much, but had dessert, anyway; I bought Blue Bunny ice cream, a chocolate brownie flavor of some sort.   ;D
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2020, 07:29:49 AM »
That's great.  No special dinner here since it was just me.  But I totally enjoyed all the "facetime" on the phone when the kids were looking and finding their Easter Baskets.  The kids were so excited to still have them, and thanked Grandma over and over again for them!  Did my heart good.

Hope everyone's Easter was good, even in these times!  We'll get through everything with His strength! 

Offline Ryan

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2020, 07:25:00 PM »
Yum I love Turkey , especially when its followed by Ice cream :)

Glad you both had a great Easter  & glad you got to see the kids looking for their baskets Diane :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2020, 07:59:19 PM »
Yes, it was really special and just kind of "made-my-day" as I sure miss those kids!

Offline Anna

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2020, 02:26:24 PM »
Well Easter sort of came and went if you get me. Just made general phone contact with everyone, but then we do that regularly anyway. Young grandson Kyrian certainly enjoyed his choccy egg and choccy bunny. He chose to stay in lock down at his Dad's farm as there is so much more to do over there than there is here, plus he is allowed to play with his friend Jack from next door. But Cathy goes from here every other day to visit him - outside meetings - and on Easter Sunday they donned their boots and went fish and winnow hunting down the farm stream for the afternoon, so that made a change for him. Other than these few Easter days, life here goes on without much change. Just normal haying of the horses - but the grass is beginning to show its head now - and general pottering about as we are soooooooo lucky to be having some really gorgeous weather right now. Just getting news about some nasty Tornados Diane, not very nice with all this virus to deal with as well. Stay safe everyone and look after yourselves, I think this is going to take quite a while to get sorted and to allow life to resume as usual.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2020, 02:57:23 PM »
Your news is good to hear.  Tornadoes have been horrid, but only the very northern tip of Florida and the states above Florida.  VERY BAD, I think I heard about 30+ dead.  Praying like mad for those people who are having it so very hard -- first with the virus, then no work, and now no housing.  Breaks my heart for them.

Stay safe everyone.  I agree Anna, I think this is going to take quite a while to allow us to resume life as normal.  And I must say, I AM NOT A FAN OF THE "NEW" NORMAL....  :-[

Offline Ryan

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2020, 07:35:43 PM »
Glad you are keeping well Anna. :)

Diane , I agree, I am not a fan of this "New normal" either. My heart breaks for everyone that is suffering.  ;pray   Stay safe everyone :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2020, 09:12:24 PM »
Have a great weekend everyone :)

Some good news with everything going on in this crazy world , Its our birthday on the 20th , here at the Mare ternity ward :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2020, 08:15:03 AM »
Thanks for that, Ryan.  I had no idea, but it's pretty neat!! 

Offline Ryan

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2020, 06:55:09 PM »
Did everyone have a good weekend ? Mine seems to be consisting of much more eating of late.

I harvested all my tomatoes on the weekend, Cut back a heap of palm trees and had a small burn off.  My mower decided to stop on me two weeks ago and I am still waiting on parts to arrive. Whats everyone else been up to?