Author Topic: spring 2020 check-in...  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: spring 2020 check-in...
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 04:21:03 PM »
pile of pieces completed for the quilt I'm working on, still need to add sashing to a few of them, and of course assemble them; but it's getting there.  I take a lot, and I do mean a lot, of breaks to look here and watch tv (if the ground conditions were better, I may even go outside). 
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
Ours is still "voluntary isolation" but they are getting close to doing something drastic, if people from NYC, Connecticut, and New Jersey don't stop coming to Florida.  I can't imagine anyone coming here -- they are leaving the "hot zone" for the virus up there, but Florida is already experiencing a severe increase, with a "hot zone" around Miami, and some of the larger cities are getting "hot".

Susan's ER Partners and she are still covering the ER, and although quiet from other sore throats, and stubbed toes, the only people who are coming are those with the virus.   She practices in Venice on the island, which is a full retirement area and the hospital's majority of patients are Medicare.  She has quite the "procedure" when she goes home to Tommy and the kids, but so far, so good, no fevers or symptoms for any of them.  Tommy takes the grandsons out in the Gulf, away from people and they go fishing now almost every day.  I'll attach a few pictures from yesterday's trip out about 10 miles into the Gulf.  They had a good catch!  They did catch a yellow snapper, but it was too small to keep, but of course, they had to "rub in" that they caught one.  Of course, I was not happy because I can't even get a filet since I'm not allowed to go see them.  POOH!!!

The garden is growing well, and I have snap peas, summer squash and tomatoes almost ready to pick.  Can't wait.  About going outside to water the plants is the only time I get to do anything outside. 

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2020, 04:33:58 PM »
Oh, and here are a couple of pics I thought were cut.

Pic one is entitled:      He went to Jared......

The second one speaks for itself.  LOL
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 04:34:30 PM »
pile of pieces completed for the quilt I'm working on, still need to add sashing to a few of them, and of course assemble them; but it's getting there.  I take a lot, and I do mean a lot, of breaks to look here and watch tv (if the ground conditions were better, I may even go outside).

VERY PRETTY!!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2020, 04:57:48 PM »
The fish look good.  Good that they can go out on the gulf, sorry you can't enjoy the catch.  You just stay safe, and we'll see you when they open the world back up.

Thank you.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2020, 05:55:28 PM »
Yum Love snapper :) Hope you get to enjoy one soon Diane !!

We are experiencing the same thing as you Diane, People who live in the city are congregating to their holiday houses on the Peninsula where I live. They have been told to return to their homes in the city and stop moving around.

Your quilt is looking great Chanda :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 12:31:08 PM »
Time to check in guys.   
Nothing new here, driveway still washed out, but Shayne drove the pick-up out and around the back way (so across a bumpy, boggy pasture; across a crappy farm trail, out around the county road to our driveway on the other side of the washout), so we have a pick-up on the driveable side of the driveway, and I should be able to go get feed and groceries later this week.   
Haven't so far, but plan to make a couple fabric masks for us to have for trips to town; although with calving and the washed out drive-way, Shayne probably isn't going any where anytime soon.  I tried to call the County shop to see if they would access our driveway and if they could help us fix it without it costing an arm and a leg, but only their machine picks up and I really don't want to leave a message, guess I'll have to.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
My son, Jon, the plumber -- who has been deemed an "essential profession" has still been working every day, and he stopped by today to bring me some masks and gloves he got at work so I could have.  LOVE that boy for thinking of his momma!  He did some outside bush pruning for me that I wanted done and have been struggling with since it's hard for me to work over my head to clippers, etc., so I bought a tree chain saw that he used, and I gave it to him when he was done doing what I had wanted to do.  He was very surprised to get it, and I know it pleased him as a gift, since he can use it at his house on the trees/bushes on the 10 acres.  I loved to see him smile!!

I miss seeing family and grandchildren, and will be missing our time together at Easter, as "Grandma" always colors the Easter eggs with the kids, and makes their parents hide the eggs for them, and then hide the baskets I've filled for each of them.  I think I'm going to get some eggs to hard boil for each family, buy a box of color for each family, and some candy/treats for their baskets and drop them by the homes and put on the porches.  At least they'll know Grandma is missing them!

Other than that, doing fine.  Garden growing well, and snap peas are ready for picking!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 08:24:22 PM »
Ill start with some "Good News" we have had over 100mls of rain over the last 4 days. We haven't seen rain (this good) at this time of the year for the last few years. They were saying on the news last night it is the wettest start to the year since 1911. It has been really cold here, I am starting to wonder where Autumn has gone ?. Im not complaining though :)

What a great present for your son Diane :). He will need that as he is clearing the trees to make room for a pony :)

Chanda , I hope things start to dry out for you soon :)

Everything is fine down under, I've been dropping groceries off to mum when she needs them. Everyone else is doing fine.  Trying to keep as busy as I can ( at home of course )

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »

What a great present for your son Diane :). He will need that as he is clearing the trees to make room for a pony :)

Yes, the love of horses hasn't passed up HIS children.  They are already asking!  I'm thinking a trained-to-drive mini might be just the thing to replace ATV's AND fulfill the horsie desires. 

Glad you're happy with the rain.  I remember the terrible drought you had been having, so happy it is cycling back to growing grass. Hopefully it will warm up a bit for you.  I'll be happy to send you the heat we're having here, I could use some cooler weather. 

I'm gathering supplies for the Easter "Surprise" Grandma is planning.  Eggs are hard-boiling in the oven, some little gifts have been purchased, and some cookie snack packs being purchased -- all their favorites.  Then, I'll use my "Real Estate Essential Services" letter to be able to drive to grandchildren's homes and put out the Grandma Easter gifts on their porches.  No human contact so everyone is safe -- but makes Grandma happy to let them know I miss them especially at this time.

Stay well everyone.  ;pray ;pray

Offline Ryan

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
Thank you for the offer, but you can keep the heat, after the summer we just had I am happy that it is cooling down.

Hope the easter baskets turn out great and the kids love them :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2020, 07:08:01 PM »
Have a fantastic Easter everyone
Stay safe & Take Care :)  ;pray

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2020, 07:38:46 PM »
Went to town for supplies today, that was very interesting.

Truck load of horse feed and livestock mineral.

Stopped at the drug store for allergy pills and vitamins. Looked at TP, cause they have a little household stuff. Over $5 for a 4 pack regular of TP, I don't think so. Not much better at the grocery store, but they had a 12 pack of Mega rolls for like $16, so got one pack. Usually get TP on sale, and buy it when it's 2/$11 for a 12 pack of double rolls. The other store had no TP, truck comes tomorrow.

Grocery selection wasn't much better. I'm not paying $4+/# for hamburger, that's ridiculous. Ok, I did, but I only bought a couple packages to stretch the handful we have left of home grown hamburger. Did buy two packages of boneless skinless chicken breasts at $2/# (two 5# packages, give or take). Eggs, bread, some canned goods, frozen veggies, miracle whip, fresh fruit and veggies (ok, so carrots and oranges), did get hubby cookies, a container of ice cream for Easter (thought it might travel better than a frozen cream pie; I got the kind in the plastic container), and various other things that ran our grocery bill up sky high; but if I'm not going back for 2-4 weeks (probably closer to the 4 weeks), it'll even out.
Hopefully, all I might need is milk and eggs between now and then, and I call pre-order for pick-up from the one Bar (she'll order from the Distributor truck for you, you just have to pick up). [The bar is 30 miles one-way, town is 65 miles one-way.]
 Bought a month worth of horse feed, which is what I do anyway. [Yesterday, I called and booked an appointment for a steer to meet his maker and become freezer filler; but they can't get us in til June. That's ok, cause it might be that long before our driveway gets fixed.]

Got gas, I think it was a 1.989/gallon, lowest I've seen it in I can't remember how long.

Since our driveway is washed out, hubby brought the tractor, and we packed everything across the "foot bridge", loaded the bucket and took it to the house. One load for out food, one load for the livestock; livestock feed is still in the tractor, and in the shop for the night.

So, how was your day? I'm beat, and I still need to go feed critters and make supper (tacos, I think).

Sorry if that is a bit odd, I copy-pasted from two different posts/comments I made on FB, so I wouldn't have to retype it all.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2020, 09:11:18 PM »
My day was better than yours by the sound of it :)

So many products have skyrocketed too on basic products here, I am refusing to pay $11 for chicken fillets. I needed eggs last night for something I was making. Nearly fell over when the only carton left were "Organic eggs" at $11.  Gas/Petrol is about the only thing here I've seen go down in price too. Ill be doing some shopping on the way home from work today. There is only a minimum amount of people allowed at any one time now, so praying the lines are not too long.

I rang to get some lucerne hay this morning and they were out, due to the drought over the last couple of years, supplies are running short at the moment. Good thing is, current rain should help in the near future and hopefully that will also see the price of hay and other feeds to down  ;pray

Sounds like the tractor really comes in handy this time of the year Chanda :)

I have a heap of mowing to do tomorrow, there is another cool change and rain coming Saturday , so need to get it done before it becomes too wet again.

The rabbits ate nearly everything I had planted for winter, I netted last night and will replant what I can over the weekend.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2020, 10:51:15 PM »
It wasn't horrible, and I don't think they are price gouging, but only the expensive products are available, anyway.
Chanda
HC Minis