Author Topic: Just a start, spring cleaning...  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Just a start, spring cleaning...
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 01:06:30 AM »
Ive put in an order for a xmas delivery of hay. I figured with the shortage over here, I better get onto it.

Chanda, you will be so proud of me. We have both joked before how we like to accumulate horses so easy, yet its so hard to move one on. Well, I sold one :) My little shetland "Vadar" whom I had previously leased as a lead line pony, had come home around 18 months ago, could be even longer. I had a call a couple of weeks ago from a lady who I know, looking for a companion for her daughters pony. She came and veiwed him , took him on a trial for a couple of weeks and came and paid for him yesterday.  She said he is the most amazing gentleman and his manners are impeccable. Knowing the amazing home he was going to , made it so much easier saying goodbye :)

Offline Anna

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »
Sounds like the perfect home for your little chap. Love it when it all comes together like that with everyone happy.  :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »
Sounds just perfect, Ryan!  I'm sure it made things easier!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2019, 09:48:45 PM »
I know the title is SPRING cleaning, however, I've always been one to do major cleaning in the autumn (my favorite season) and then do deep dusting and air outs in the spring.

I've been attempting to get rid of the clutter in this camper, yet having a heck of a time accomplishing it. *gaaaahh!!*

Part of the issue is lack of storage. Part of it is lack of motivation.  Part of it is the physical challenge...I've gotten so slow that if I once get even a little behind it snowballs into ALOT behind, leading to aforementioned lack of motivation.

Right now I'm doing a major deep clean as best I can since both my husband and my daughter have moved out.  I'm forcing myself to donate dishes and cookware that I don't use at least once a week.  The same with anything decorative or books.  I've tossed documents I've been guarding "in case I need them."  If they're more than 90 days old--or if their subject matter is--into the permanent file they go.  (For our friends outside the U.S., that means the dustbin.)

I've about gotten it done and will be concentrating on preparing my planting spots for next spring.  I'm putting the raked leaves into one area I want to use, and will then pen my chickens there to tiller it for me.  Get ready for more "Crazy Chicken Women plus Chauncy stories! 🤣🤣

Since it is heading into spring for Ryan and Carly Ray, are you two preparing anything special, or has avoiding wildfires kept you too busy?
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2019, 09:21:55 AM »
I think you have a good plan for major cleaning.  I did a little of that this past summer and was successful for what I completed, but look around now and think I must get back to it.  Trouble is, I've got a Federal Grant due 12/13, and more importantly, I head out to see my daughter Katy and the grandchildren on 12/19 through 1/6.  Can't wait!!  So, I guess cleaning will just have to wait until January!.. >:D
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 04:07:09 PM »
Ive always got a lack of motivation for cleaning. My house seems to be a little cleaner in the winter months due to the fact im inside more. I have been going through my kitchen of late throwing out "crap" I have accumulated. I was surprised or should I say"shocked"  at the amount of things in my pantry that were very well past the use by date :)

Offline Anna

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2019, 03:21:55 AM »
Don't talk to me about spring cleaning! When we moved to this farm some 15 years ago we 'amalgamated' three families and all their 'stuff' - my mother, me and daughter plus her offspring. A lot of stuff had to be stored in the outbuilding next to the farm house. Move on to 4 years ago when we split the farm. All the 'stuff' in the farm house plus that outbuilding had to be moved across to our side of the farm. With no 'house' to put any of it in it got stored again, this time in 3 large elderly mobile homes. And after, over this past year, having 'recycled' some of it into our newly converted barn, the rest remains waiting for .............?
Really must try to sort some more of it after the winter is over!
Diane I hope you will have a fabulous time visiting Katy and the kiddywinks (not so young now I suppose), a wonderful way to celebrate Christmas. xx

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
Thanks Anna.  I'm sure I will have a fabulous time, and little Rachel (turned 8 in July) and Joshua (turned 11 in August) are already calling every weekend for the "count-down" !!  So cute!!  Grandchildren range in age from Ryan (turned 3 in October) to Little Tommy (who's 12 and turning 13 in February).  My kids are older with the twin -- the youngest turning 39 on December 8th, and Katy is 44.  The grandkids are young because the girls didn't have any kids until they had finished their medical residencies, so although they married, they produced NO young until they were done.  I was beginning to think there weren't going to be any.

I'm with you, and we can sort more AFTER the new year!!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2020, 11:24:27 AM »
Well, this was last year's spring cleaning thread, but no point in starting a new thread for similar topic...

Got the gelding barn almost cleaned out recently, yes, I"m that far behind this year.  So wet for so long, I hate to clean when it's deep and that wet, cause it's a lot of water weight to haul out.
Started staining the house, yesterday, yet again.   I don't know if we got crap stain or crap siding; but this will be the third time since we put the siding up, possibly the fourth on the west side of the house.   I can't remember when we sided the house, but at least 5 years ago, probably longer.   We had to put new windows in, again, two years ago, the first batch were crap and leaked; so had to catch up staining all the window trim; did that yesterday, this morning after chores I'll start in on the west side of the house, for round 3 or 4.    Going to start with the easy part that doesn't require much time on a ladder.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2020, 02:39:11 PM »
Used up a whole gallon to do that trim work and about 120 square feet of siding (and a square of plywood for another project).   We have two gallons of paint left from last time we stained the house, so looks like it might be enough for 1.5 sides of the house.  I used one of the two already, so we'll see how far the other gallon goes, then see if Shayne wants to buy more this summer when funds are tight or wait til next summer.  I hate painting, so I vote wait; but I know it needs doing.   We might need to switch to a matching paint, instead of fighting this stain that doesn't seem to last.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 09:45:49 AM »
So sorry you're working so hard and having crappy results!  I would vote "wait" too, but I know I would do it anyway!   ::)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »
Got the other gallon on, it did about 3/4 of a short side of the house, so probably will need 3-4 gallons to finish the rest of the house, as we have an addition that sticks out, adding 3 more sides to the house. 
Shayne wants to use a paint sprayer, I say no thank you, as the one we have always seems to clog, and when you live this far from town, renting one is a nuisance, as you pay for a day for pick up and return, since it's so far to go.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2020, 12:33:45 PM »
Almost done staining the house.  We picked up 4 more gallons, and may be a bit short.  I only have about 1/2 gallon left, but about 12' or so of tall wall to do (downhill side of the house left, so more wall to stain).  Had a few delays and interruptions, lost some paint to mishaps, such as the wind blowing the paint tray off the ladder twice.    And, of course, I did not work on my birthday.
While I don't care for breathing in poop dust, it's windy today; I think I'll clean the smaller mare paddock and get that cleaned up again (they've been going out to pasture, so it's not excessive, but I"m behind).
Chanda
HC Minis