Message Boards > Welcome - COME JOIN US!

WELCOME TO OUR NEW MARE-TERNITY WARD !!! (MARE & FOALING FORUM)

<< < (8/9) > >>

Ryan:
I think Id take a chance too. I agree that there could be many reasons why the previous foals died. As Diane mentioned, many die due to no attendance at birth by their owners and more often than not their little mares have needed assistance.

To be really honest , it sounds like the current owner is a bit blase from reading below. The fact that Diane knows the mares breeder and knows her to breed quality over quantity, Id say go for it.

You will have plenty of help here , we will all join together to offer advice and support to help you give this foal the safest of arrivals, If you choose to take this mare on board.

The fact that she has had two quality foals , gives me the opinion she is looking looking for a scenery change :)

Ryan

dcwolcott:
Thanks Ryan.  I couldn't say it any better.   :D :D

Holly:
I would agree. Quality environment, feed and husbandry can make a huge difference as well as attending the birth.
 I would bring her home, have her BSE and or flushed. Maybe a round of SMZ as a preventative.

Johannas:
Thank you guys so much for your advice! I really like the little mare and emailed the breeder today to ask if the price she was quoted was negotiable. When she emailed me back she had upped the price by $200.00 then said she'd give me a break for buying two, and quoted me the original price again. Im waiting for the transport company to give me a price on two....
Also, I asked if she was a pocket, but she said, no, but possibly could be. If a mare is just used for breeding does that mean she's just a baby mill and isnt socialized? At 15 could that be an issue?? I dont want to breed for sale, I just want to love and spoil....

Chanda:
I bought a 12 year old mare this fall that I was told was hard to catch, but ok once caught, and that is exactly how she acted when I went to look at her.   I bought her anyway, largely because she is half-sister to a mare I lost last year.   She hasn't been that hard to catch since I brought her home, only taking a few steps away before being caught, I've dewormed without haltering, she lets me pet her, and it should only get better with time, especially come spring and nicer weather.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version