Author Topic: Hopeful for 2020  (Read 9172 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Hopeful for 2020
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2020, 08:52:24 AM »
Yes, they sure are, and just LOVE remembering with you, Anna.  So wise and so experienced and you have so many wonderful stories to share!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2020, 11:37:28 AM »
She is certainly looking rather uncomfortable right now poor girl, are you there with her just in case ..... Also a small word of warning (yes I'm a worrywart!!) - I would remove that haynet and put your hay on the floor inspite of the mess it might cause. If she does decide to foal and does a lot of rolling around or even simply spends some time lying on her back (lots of mine have done this!) then she could catch her feet in the haynet.  One year when we had 13 to foal all in the month of May I was doing my usual visit to the barn (we live on site so easy for us), I went down the length giving everyone a few large handfuls of hay (useful to see who was keen to eat and who might be thinking about foaling and did this about every half hour throughout the night). Found two mares not wanting to eat, one of whom was showing signs of 'any minute now', so I waited and sure enough she was soon in labour. Went in to assist and lovely easy foaling. Came out again to check second mare and sure enough the foal was already on the way. So two lovely babies within 15 minutes (seasoned brood mares). Walked back down the barn to find another mare who had been happily munching her hay now on her feet again, mouth still full of hay, she gave her new baby a quick sniff to say hello, looked me in the eye as if to say 'here's another for you' and returned to hay munching!! I had to laugh she was just so laid back over it all - the older experienced ones are just so great!!

Thank you so much for this information. I only wish I?d seen it earlier. It?s okay bet Belle caught a hoof in the net for 2-3 minutes over night. Scared the snot out of me. I cut it off and it is now in the trash. I?d been planning on moving it after she foaled, but lesson learned. She was super uncomfortable all night. Her ph dropped to 7.2 finally, but it is back up to 7.8.
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2020, 09:34:49 PM »
Well Belle's udder FINALLY stayed throughout the day and actually drew some in the afternoon. It is even bigger this evening but still high ph. Not enough milk to check hardness when diluted. Undiluted hardness is well above 800.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2020, 07:50:37 AM »
Won't be long now!  Looking good.  Her nipples could fill a bit, but that sagging elongation is great!  She's getting very close it looks like.  Praying for a safe and uneventful delivery of a healthy little one!    ;pray ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2020, 01:40:19 AM »
Well here we are, day 342. And Belle does not seem to have any intention on foaling soon. Ph is all over the place. It dropped to 6.8 and I thought we were getting close. Now it?s back up to 7.5-7.8. Udder is very hard. Meanwhile, she is quite content and happy munching away.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
Looks like nipples are beginning to fill.  Can you get us a couple of pictures so we can see how baby is riding and laying please, if possible.

One from the back, down at her butt level, looking forward which will help tell us how baby is positioning. As baby lines up, backbone to backbone, she may stop even looking pregnant from the back.  If baby hasn't lined up, she'll be more wide, and that will tell us she has a little more time and some more good rolling may be in order to get baby positioned.

The second a full side view, down at her level, which tells us if baby is lining up for delivery.  We'll be looking for the famous "V"  which will show that baby is dropping and positioning properly.  Even maidens can drop a bit. 

Anna, I may not have explained this well.  Chime in with a better explanation.

Praying for a safe an uneventful delivery of a healthy little one.   ;pray ;pray
Can someone post some "V" pictures to help explain what we're looking for?

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2020, 11:02:00 AM »
I will get them soon. She is pretty uncomfortable today. She has not got the v shape. More of a rounded u. But three weeks ago, you could barely see a belly at all.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2020, 12:30:05 PM »
Sounds like she's moving ahead nicely.  Not every mare does every thing, but pictures somehow give us some ideas of "where" she is.

;pray ;pray ;pray

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2020, 04:29:35 PM »
Here we go. Testing 7.2 now

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Ryan

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2020, 08:05:40 PM »
 ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray

Offline Ryan

« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2020, 12:17:07 AM »
Congratulations Elizabeth :):):):):):):)

I can see you sitting in the stall , So happy for you !!!!!!

Offline Anna

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2020, 04:50:09 AM »
Many congratulations!! So very thrilled for you Elizabeth. I've not posted much of late but I have been checking your cam several times a day - and then I still missed all the excitement! Colt or filly?

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2020, 08:18:00 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  S/He is beautiful, and looks like momma for sure!!  Hoping she had an easy time for you.  Baby is adorable and momma is VERY attentive!  Good girl, Belle.   So when was "s/he" born?  Have we nursed and pooped?  All important things!  LOL  Haven't seen nursing yet, but saw a lot of walking under momma's tummy head up looking.  ...maybe this time....looks hopeful.....I think we have success!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »
Such a cutie!!!  I just love it when s/he walks under momma.  So fun to watch getting those legs figured out, and nice long legs they are! 

So happy for you, and just love watching this little one!

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
Colt came last night at 9:15 pm. Once she finally decided to foal, it was over quickly. Within 20 minutes he was up and searching for milk. Did not take him long. He did poop and pee fine and I tested Belle's milk with a refractometer, it tested 28. I gave her banamine right away and she has been such a great first time mom. He is solid black, with 7.5-inch canons.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-