Message Boards > General Discussion

Need help

(1/6) > >>

Lnight89:
Hello everyone! Ok so I am new to minis! I've had appoloosa my whole life but just got my first two minis about a month and a half ago. Well last night my pregnant mare and her filly from last year broke into my feed room! Partly because of pot bellied pig (he broke the door for them :|) anyway I got found them in there when I went to turn them in for the night last night at9:30pm. I checked the food and it didn't look like they had eaten alot or had been in there long and they were both acting totally normal. I got them in their stalls gave them a tiny bit of their hay, fed the rest of the animals and went in for the night. This morning the filly is totally normal but my pregnant mare isn't acting herself.... she ate her hay I had given last night but didn't get excited and neigh and run to her door when I came in and is now not interested in her hay this morning at all. She just is standing around. I noticed she had 2 normal fecal moments and one really mucky one over the night (I cleaned stalls yesterday so I know they are from last night) now  freaking out because my appys haven't gotten  into feed before abd eaten entire tubs and we're fine but I know minis are way smaller and don't eat what the appys do or the amount! Now other than just looking lazy and not 2anting to eat her fresh hay she isn't pacing or rolling or anything. Any suggestions as to what I should/ could do before calling a vet out (closest vet is about an hour drive qnd expensove not to mention on a Saturday pricing :( thanks in advance!

Chanda:
How far along is the mare?
 The timing could be coincidence, as it could be early labor signs, if she is far enough along, or it could be mild colic from the grain.

Lnight89:
Her previous owner doesn't know exactly when she's due I bought her pregnant. She said between June and July.  Her udders are completely empty still. I was guessing her to be due around June 15th ish just from my past with breeding my appys and how she looks and feels to me right now.  I'm thinking it's from eating the grain. I've called the vet a few times ( a per system for emergencies ) and haven't had a call back yet... I've only ever dealt with colic once in one of my appys and it went away on its own with holding feeds and a bit of walking. I'm just way more nervous because she's a mini and she's pregnant :(

Holly:
Feel for rapid pulse and heat in her hooves. Besides colic they can founder. If her feet are hot and pulse rate is increased/ pounding I would get the vet out asap and start soaking her feet in  cold water to help.
http://www.ironfreehoof.com/equine-digital-pulses.html
That article will help you find the correct area to feel her pulse . Best wishes and please keep us updated!

Lnight89:
Feet are nice and cool and pulse is normal. I went to school for vet tech so I at least no some thing but man I'm all cool an collected with my big horses and terrified about everything with these minis! Lol I've called and paged the vet so hopefully they call back soon! She's seeming stable nothing has gotten any worse I'm just hanging out with her in her stall until he calls me back!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version