Message Boards > Foaling Questions & Help

When does a filly usually have their first heat?

(1/5) > >>

Suebe:
Hi everyone, some of you might remember I took in a tiny chestnut mini With the messed up hooves. I put pics up of her teeth and we all pretty much agreed she was around 1 1/2 years old, which is what the previous owners had said pretty much. Anyway when would she have shown her first heat?! I've had her two months, it's breeding seasons, I have not seen a heat yet. My concern is when we rescued her she was with a tiny mini jack. They were kept together from the time she was weaned. He was very upset when she left broke my heart :( mostly because he's stuck there in that nasty place. Now I really am wondering if she's pregnant :O what's the possibility at this age?

dcwolcott:
She definitely could be pregnant. 

paintponylvr:
As to when they can come into season, I've had them come in as early as 6 months and as late as 3 years.  I've had more wait past the 2 yr mark than the before 1 yr mark, though.

Ryan:
How old was the Mini jack ?  Out of the two mares I have, One is very obvious when in season , the other barely shows at all. :)

I agree though she could be pregnant

Chanda:
It's been awhile, so I don't recall all the details; but, if she was malnourished when you got her, there is a chance that it delayed puberty. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version