Message Boards > General Discussion

Foodie Thread

<< < (3/19) > >>

paintponylvr:
Julie - you can do a "pickle wash" vinaigrette that will remove the "earthy" flavor from beets.  You'll have to google it as I don't have a recipe and I myself haven't done it - just know that it works.  Probably actually needs to sit a while to remove the unwanted flavor (actual pickling) - I can't remember.

Also, consider doing a Borscht style soup - Russian/Ukrainian recipe made from or with beets.  Different recipes out there - some are served hot and some served cold.  Some pureed smooth and served w/ dollop of sour cream on top - others not. 

Ukranian borsht soup - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/84450/ukrainian-red-borscht-soup/
large recipe -Russian Cabbage Borscht soup - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/85517/russian-cabbage-borscht/
Love the story behind this one - I have to try it!!!  http://cookthestory.com/easy-borscht-recipe/

Hmm - I'm not finding any of the pureed borsht soups...

I plan on planting beets next garden.  Good for us, chickens and ponies.  I love beets - family, not so much.  Jerusalem artichokes can be fed to chickens and horses as well.  Have a video of horses eating them pulled from the ground - greens and tuber alike!  They were in England, I think(??) - forgot to hit save on that vid and I can't find it now...  Supposedly Comfrey leaves can also be fed straight to the horses - along with the chickens and used as fertilizer tea (woof - that's stinky worse than wet manure) and straight chop/drop on garden, fruit bushes/trees.

paintponylvr:
Our Thanksgiving meal was hosted by our middle daughter and her hubby of 6 months.  Most of the recipes she used were on the cans or bags of whatever she was using to prepare... 

BUT she made "my" recipe for Apple Cucken ("open faced pie - not a covered one - but did come down from my Swedish grand mother)...

I'll have to dig out the recipe (can't find at the moment - one of those items buried still...) but it only uses apples, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon for the filling.  You can make a pie crust or you can purchase one - I've done both.  She used a graham cracker crust - purchased.  After putting the apple mixture in the crust, you dot with 5 table spoon of butter (I've used Olive Oil in place - have to play w/ amount) and 8 tablespoons of milk (actually easier w/ TB, not a cup/measure).  Then bake in 350* oven for 45-60 minutes (depends on oven, you want it to thicken liquids and brown on top w/o burning).  Heaped apples will shrink down to flat - we use a lot of apples!  The cooking w/ sugar/cinnamon changes the flavor of apples - you can use any kind - starchy/crisp or bland/tart/sweet.  Brown spots don't matter - peel and if large bruises/soft spots, remove those.  Great way to use up apples you might not eat otherwise but you aren't quite ready to put out in compost or feed to chix.

Ryan:
Love making Soups and stews , especially throughout winter, not only as Its great winter food but because I love having left overs in the freezer for those nights when you get home and "cant be bothered" .

I get a little lazy with the heat here in summer and seem to live off different kinds of salads.

I have a recipe at home for my version of minestrone soup , makes enough to feed the local neighborhood and puts enough meals in the freezer for those nights when the couch/sofa is more appealing. Ill hunt it down and add it to this thread. Its really cheap to make :)

I did make a really easy Pasta Last night :-

Onion
Red capsicum
celery
Yellow and red cherry tomatoes
smoked ham
(lightly fry all the above until cooked)

Cook pasta and set aside

Once the onion etc is cooked add some dried italian seasoning to the mix and stir through until you can smell the herbs coming through.

Add the pasta to the onion mixture and stir in a jar of cream cheese and some fresh basil.

Very basic Pasta that you can add things to . ( chicken , Tuna, salmon, sausages) you can also add your fav veggies , as you please.

Ryan:

--- Quote from: Chanda on November 24, 2016, 09:58:57 PM ---Happy to.
Gotta see those recipes.  Some I may actually try some day, but hubby is a bit picky, so only some will get tried.

--- End quote ---

Nothing Spicy and NO pineapple ( If i remember correctly) :)

dcwolcott:
That sounds good, too, Ryan!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version