Author Topic: finally some nice weather to catch up on trims...  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
finally some nice weather to catch up on trims...
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:45:01 PM »
Well, that was interesting.  Trimmed two more today.  Dolly was one, so since she gets Dorm gel, I bring her in dose her, and put her in a stall to take affect.  Then, went and got Tana.  I picked all the hooves, hoof knived all the hooves, and then started trimming..  First hoof no trouble, second hoof, oops blood, but where is it coming from.  I set down her hoof, pulled off my gloves, checked my hands, no blood.  Picked up her hoof, no blood on her hooves, took a bit to find it, I evidently bumped a wound on her fetlock.  No idea what she did, but pretty sure it's proud flesh, about as big around as the ergot on the back of the fetlock (wound is on the side, so not ergot). I trimmed a bunch of hair, cleaned it up, put wound spray on it, proud flesh is sensitive (pretty sure that's what it is, but not not positive), so every time it got bumped it bled like a stuck pig, so I put a quick wrap on it.  I'll keep an eye on it, and it doesn't get better, I'll have a vet take a look.
I caught up the geldings last week, Misty the other day.  So about caught up for February, just in time to start the March list.  It's been so blasted cold, I'm running late with everyone.

Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

Re: finally some nice weather to catch up on trims...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:17:47 PM »
Happy to hear some nice weather has arrived.  ;D

With the excessive bleeding it does sound like proud flesh. Was it developing over the wound ? Not sure if its available there , but we have this bright green honey like stuff for proud flesh. ( prednoderm) If my memory serves me correctly. Its quite potent. It worked a treat when my horse decided he wanted to dance with the fence, a few years back. In between applying the Prednoderm ( which is like xtra thick honey/glue texture) , I just used an iodine solution on it for sterilization.

Healed well and very minimal scarring.

Hoping the weather continues to improve for you  :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:41:43 PM »
Happy to hear some nice weather has arrived.  ;D

. Was it developing over the wound ?
Hoping the weather continues to improve for you  :)

Well, it's winter and she looks like a yak, so I missed the wound in all her hair and only caught the likely proud flesh when I bumped it today.  I'll try to keep it wrapped for awhile and see if that helps.    I don't know if we have anything like you mentioned, I don't recall; but I've got Vetricyn, so trying that.  If that doesnt' work, I have Schreiner's Herbal solution.

Well, I wouldn't it call it nice weather, only better weather (yes I said nice in my title, but it's all relative).   A balmy 20 above (Fahrenheit), but that's much better than the 30 below or hovering around zero we've had much of this winter.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 11:18:57 PM »
Hope it starts to heal for you quickly :)

Well its a start from the weather you have been having. I've noticed here it is starting to cool, the nights are getting colder and im seeing first signs of winter coats starting to grow.

I dont say this often, but I am looking forward to some rain and the colder months, we have had barely any since the end of last year and my paddocks are baron.

Im sure you are very much over winter !!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
Sounds like a busy time, Chanda.  I'll be happy to send you some heat -- we've been in the 80's for a week+ and I'm always looking for some cold!  Think a visit to family up north might be in order.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:04:37 PM »
I think Im even happy to send a little heat your way. I love the warmer weather but we have had record heat all summer and Im looking forward to laying on the couch listening to the rain, watching a movie  :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 03:17:44 PM »
Only way too late, finally caught up trimming with the saddle horses, today; I bought new nippers last month, OMG they are so much better.    I had been using Diamond 12" nippers, gosh they must be at least 10 years old now; trim several minis and 2-4 full size horses, so must be getting dull by now.  I talked to some farriers on FB and got suggestions for good brand of nippers that would be better than Diamonds; several suggested a brand out of my budget, but some suggested Nordic Forge Viking nippers, so that is what I bought, as they were in my budget.  OMG, like a hot knife through butter compared to the Diamonds I had been using.    The saddle horses were not near as hard to trim as usual, so it wasn't as hard on my back to get them trimmed.  Also got them dewormed today, too.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 08:30:34 AM »
Oh, I'm glad you found something that is making the job easier!  Fabulous!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
Oh, I'm glad you found something that is making the job easier!  Fabulous!
Going to have to be sure to pay attention and notice when the new ones might start getting dull.  It was recommended by several farriers to send in the old nippers and have them rebuilt, as they are then even better than new; surprised me, and it costs about what a new pair costs of the lower priced nippers; but I might give it a try.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
I know I had to keep sending out blades for sharpening constantly, but they always seemed better than when they were new.  Maybe it's the same.  Hope it works for you. 

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:16 PM »
I so wish i knew how to trim myself. I am really not happy at the moment with my horses balance, but barefoot trimmers are not available anywhere.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »
I so wish i knew how to trim myself. I am really not happy at the moment with my horses balance, but barefoot trimmers are not available anywhere.
Unfortunately, I just had to suck it up and do it, as I can't get a farrier out here (I've had a couple decent ones, but they moved and those that came after don't want to drive this far or just can't trim minis).   And, I've been doing better than a few so called farriers that have come, charged an arm and a leg, and left them unbalanced; I can do it for free.   :o   It takes me longer, but the last good farrier I had said I did a good job, so I keep plugging away.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 05:32:36 PM »
You must do a good job as farriers here don't usually praise the work of other farriers 👌

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 12:22:07 AM »
You must do a good job as farriers here don't usually praise the work of other farriers 👌
Well, maybe he lied, so he wouldn't have to do as many of them.  ;)
Chanda
HC Minis